Winter

Winter

Sunday, March 14, 2010

Cooking Day

Frying Day

I was going to a birthday party for our grandsons, (3rd)
I told my daughter-in-love, I would bring something.
I needed a grocery store trip so I didn't have anything
easy. I did have a package of corn tortillas.
I thought I can make home made tortilla chips, then I
thought if I am going to have hot oil anyway, well,
then why not make donuts. Sort of like "If You
Give a Mouse a Cookie." Only with donuts.
Frying the chips, very easy and really nice dippers.


I just used my favorite all-purpose bread dough
recipe, to make my donuts.
It is yeast, softened with warm water,
1/2 cup of shortening melted, or butter if I am
making rolls, sugar 1/2 cup to a cup depending on
what I am making. In donuts 1 cup and 2 eggs.
2 teaspoons salt and then add flour until it pulls away
from the sides of the mixer. I have a Magic Mill
mixer so my bread always turns out.

Let rise until double.

Fry in hot oil, I use Canola oil so it is sort of healthy
I mean how healthy can fried bread, sugar be anyway.
Starting to brown, really fast, one of the things I
love about donuts is they cook so fast.

Then my other happy thing is to listen to my family
make "yummy sounds." I do love watching people eat.

I only make donuts once or twice a year. They
are fun to make and I do enjoy it once they are
made.
I hope you all have a very blessed Sunday.


3 comments:

Meg said...

All I have to say to this is "Oh... my... goodness...."

Kessie said...

I went and made baked donuts, supposedly for breakfast. Then it got to be 10 and I thought they could be for brunch. Then it was 12 and I went, "Eh, we'll just eat them whenever."

Darn you time change. I just can't get ahead today.

Farm Girl said...

I feel the same way, I am always a hour behind. At least we have a hour longer in the evening.