Winter

Winter

Friday, August 21, 2015

Friday Night Post


You know I don't think I have ever done a Friday night post.  On a normal night we have home made pizza and watch a movie. We are still doing that, but Ron was busy so I thought I would just write a post. My post writing has gone to such an all time low. I think that is because between housework and taking care of this place, hooking rugs has become my full time job. I am not complaining, I was trying to figure out why I don't update every day.


Not to mention, taking pictures helps me write and there just isn't anything green around here to take pictures of or talk about. We fished a giant and I mean giant dead spider out of the swimming pool, but I just didn't want to take a picture and post that. We have been over run with giant vingeroons or sun-spiders or wind scorpions. Depending on what you look up. They just are so prehistoric looking and they are in the kitchen every night and they are mean at night. You can click on that link and it will take you to all kinds of pictures of the creepy things.


This is one of those weeks when I get to Friday and feel like I have bites out of my head. This week, if it could go wrong it did. I wondered a lot this week if and I just throw this question out. Do you think social media has helped or harmed our society? I think that it can be used for good, but I am seeing lots of harm that it can do as well. Do you notice people are loosing the ability to talk longer than 120 characters. Do you have the desire to go up to people now and wish they had a like button? I was at the grocery store and I saw this lady with a really cute outfit and that desire came over me, I wished she had a like button. Is that weird?


I will stop here, I have had a hankering all week to go read The Book of Stillmeadow. To visit with Mrs. Taber and read about her slower life and long for the changing of seasons. The sound of crunchy leaves under my feet, the huge Vs of birds flying overhead. The smell of wood-smoke on the air (not forest fires.)
Rain in the forecast. I long for the promise of soup cooking on the stove, with darkness creeping in as I read an old book. With no pictures but lots of big words. Tomorrow is Saturday. I wish I could sleep in but I never make it past 5:30. There is so much to do like have coffee on the patio, watch the sunrise and talk to the cats as they come winding around our legs and watch Sasha get disgusted with us for liking cats.

I hope you have a lovely weekend too.
~Kim~

 “Perhaps, after all, our best thoughts come when we are alone. It is good to listen, not to voices but to the wind blowing, to the brook running cool over polished stones, to bees drowsy with the weight of pollen. If we attend to the music of the earth, we reach serenity. And then, in some unexplained way, we share it with others.”
― Gladys Taber

20 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

a like button. funny. :)

wow, those windscorpion things are weird!

Plumruncreek ♥ said...

Your flowers are so pretty!!

GretchenJoanna said...

Ah, you have given me a good idea: next time I go to my brother's, which is the house I grew up in, or even to my sister's house, which is also in the Valley, I think I will ask them if we can have coffee on the patio in the morning. Well, if it's warm enough..... I just know it is *never* warm enough here to do that! ...and just the thought of it brings me a scent in the air (in my mind) that I have to go Home to get.

Lynn said...

Farm Girl, I was just reading in my Gladys Taber books today! I don't have the one you mention, but I have Stillmeadow Sampler, Stillmeadow Seasons, and Stillmeadow Daybook. I love them all :) Two quotes I liked today:
"Cooking is an art easy to practice when you have a garden. For instance, a salad. Instead of planning it and making a list, you wander idly along the rows carrying a rush basket and a sharp knife. Three kinds of lettuce, young onions, pencil-slim carrots, a couple of young tomatoes, a sprig of dill -- and how good fresh dill is in a green salad!" Gladys Taber, Stillmeadow Daybook

and: "August is a fine month." (same book)
Happy weekend. Hope you kill some spiders.

cards4ubylouise and other treasures said...

Sounds like a fun evening...pizza and a movie. Ick....spiders....no like!!! social media I think has hindered this world....everyone has their nose in their iphones...texting to whom ever. You could be talking to that person and suddenly the ring tone is more important than the conversation you were having.....and they have to answer their phone. Guess that is a pet peeve of mine. No like!!

My post writing has hit a low too...but I think it is because I have not been feeling well plus dealing with the eye surgery and dentist too. I finally found out why I have been sick....seems I have a hernia and am due for surgery Sept 3rd....If you think about it....please pray for me that day. Oh and I don't think it is such a terrible thing not to be posting as much....we do have things that take priorities at times...life gets that way sometimes.

Christine said...

Hmmm yes I think to some degree, social media is harming our personal interactions. But then isn't it great I can chat to you on the other side of the globe!
Enjoy the weekend!

Thistle Cove Farm said...

I think social media is like most everything else...God meant it for good, man uses it for evil...and some of us, like yourself, use it for good. You bring light and life into a frosty world and that's a good thing. I blog when I have time and energy, not often enough but there's a lot to do on a farm, in a home. Last night I watched a Midsomer Murder, one I'd never seen and it was a delight!
The wolf spiders have started coming inside to overwinter but if I see them, I kill them.
This morning my treat is going to Hardees for a biscuit -that I didn't have to make and bake- then to a small craft show to shop for Christmas gifts.
It's all good.

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

I think that social media is what we make of it ... and I'm not afraid to unfollow or hide Facebook posts that I don't want to see (including every single political posting - on both sides of the fence). I do enjoy keeping up to date with friends who live far away, and I really enjoy the hand quilting group (an online guild) that I belong to. But I refuse to be a slave to Facebook.

Thank you for choosing not to share a picture of that giant spider. ;-)

Debbie said...

Good morning! The giant scary spider sounds horrid....soo many strange weird little creatures God made huh? lol. As for the social media thing I am like most I guess in that I am involved and for the most part I enjoy it as it gives me an access to family and friends I wouldn't have otherwise. But I also think it is carried to such an extreme by some that it has become a real issue. Everywhere you go and I mean everywhere peoples noses are in their phones! Its gotten really bad. There's a time and place for everything, but like most things like this people can't be controlled or disciplined. So do we throw the whole thing out? I guess I would be sad as I feel like without it my connection to my far away family would suffer. one of those definite good and bad items. Enjoy your day!

Julia said...

I have big Orb spiders in the barn and I keep taking down the webs and the next morning they are back. Some of those spiders are huge but clumsy. I couldn't put up with having those poisonous spiders in the house. I wouldn't be able to sleep in peace at night.

Pizza and movies sounds like a nice date. Nothing is regular at my house anymore My yard and gardens are a mess and it's pickling time and harvesting beans. Weeds have taken over again, lawn needs mowing and the dead flowers needs tidying up.

LIKE BUTTONS. You are too funny. I hated those LIKE buttons and I didn't like to use them. I'm so glad I'm not on any of those social medias now. It's liberating... I felt freer after I deactivated my account with Facebook, like it gave me more room to breath...

I love being on blogger and Rug Hooking Daily and that's about it. I can live with that. Like you I'm blogging less and less these days.
Have a great weekend.
Hugs,
JB

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

I'm on the fence about social media. I have tried it all, but failed miserably at most of it. I don't even much like facebook anymore and plan to hopefully cut that monster out of my life soon. I am even frustrated with my blog though it is my favorite form of communicating with others who love animals and enjoying the world we live in.
Have a good weekend!

Kim said...

I clicked the link and now may never sleep again. Ewwww, and they are in the house?? Shudder! Social media is tricky, so many good points but I do think society is losing some of its compassion. I read some tweets on Twitter and they are so vicious and I am sure these people would never say that stuff face to face.

Kerin said...

Reading a Gladys Tabor book always lifts my spirits :)
I didn't click on the creepy~crawly link... guess I'm too chicken!
Not good that you are having issues with bugs though! So, do you think that it is a sign of a longer or wetter winter for you guys?

Bah~humbug on most social media. I agree.. folk have certainly forgotten how to cultivate friendships and have conversations without some phone stuck in their hands.
Seriously, if a cell phone is your only phone, when you go out with your family or friends, why can't you turn it off. It would be the same as someone trying to call your home, and having to leave a message.
Nope. I see people whipping out their phones in the middle of restaurants, movie theaters, etc.. They just can't stand the thought that they might be missing out on something..
Well, that's just my observation of things, that's all.
~K.

CountryMum said...

Lol - the idea of a like button made me laugh. Social media is good - in moderate doses. Overdoing it has negative impacts I think.

Debbie said...

We get a lot of those zillion leggers this time of year, the cave crickets come next!! I like Facebook and being able to connect with everyone....I do not like the way it has taken over and that everyone is always on their phone!! I have no idea what people are doing on them but the walking and phone-ing is very annoying!!!

Gail said...

I dislike Facebook. Think it's horrible and I almost feel that about Google + and I know I dislike Twitter. We are loosing the art of communication, of hand writing and oh, so much more. It is scary.

Not as scary as those horrible spiders! Thank God they are not here. We only have Black Widows and Brown Recluse to deal with poison.

Have a blessed night.

Rugs and Pugs said...

If I had a like button for work, you can be sure it wouldn't be used much...lol!
I am very sorry I clicked on the spider link. Living close to Lake Erie, we have nasty looking spiders, but you win!
Hugs :)
Lauren

Gumbo Lily said...

A "Like" button would be great! Or....if you were an old fashioned 1800s type lady, you could walk up to her and tell her she looked terrific and that she has good style!

I've been working at reading a book instead of reading the computer.

I like the GT quote. Being alone is a good thing sometimes.

Gumbo Lily said...

Ukkkk....you can keep those spider-scorpion-insects in CA.

Anonymous said...

Sounds you had a great time! Beautiful flowers!