Winter

Winter

Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Welcome 2013

I am always a bit apprehensive on New Year's Day. What will this new year bring? What challenges? What new gifts? What new directions? I give you that as in years past most of them will be a surprise. Do I make resolutions? Not really, but I do have a to do list a mile long and it all has to be accomplished by May 18th.

1. All of the white railings around the house will have to be painted white.

2. The trim on the whole house will have to be painted.

3. The flowerbeds all have to be completely redone.

4. The swimming pool fence will have to be sanded and repainted.

5. My house inside will have to be gone over with a fine tooth comb.

6. All of the pasture cleaned and the trees free of all weeds.

Hopefully, the weight will just fall off in the process. There will be lots of growing flowers and planting flowers and since Em's wants to use lots and lots of lights all of the trees in the front yard will be getting lots of trimming for the days they get decorated with lights. I even told her since my Black Eyed Susan's have never been her favorite I would even sacrifice them for the flowers she wants. That was hard but I can plant more.

Throw in there, this is my son's senior year in high school. I have to start getting him ready to graduate and take placement tests and all of that. It will be a very busy 5 months now. This is just what I see from my view point today.

But How I want to start my 2013 is very different. I read this yesterday and I thought it was something I would really like to incorporate this year into my life.

This is from a man named F.W. Robertson (1816-1863)

It is not by regretting what is irreparable that true work is to be done, but by making the best of what we are. It is not by complaining that we have not the right tools, but by using well the tools we have. What we are, and where we are, is God's providential arrangement,---God's doing, though it may be man's midsdoing;
and the manly and the wise way is to look your disadvantages in the face, and see what can be made out of them, Life, like war, is a series of mistakes, and he is not the best Christian nor the best general who makes the fewest false steps. He is the best who wins the most splended victories by the retrieval of mistakes.
Forget mistakes; organize victory out of mistakes.

Forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press toward the mark. (Philippians 3:13, 14)

" Lord, give to me a quiet heart.
That does not ask to understand,
But confident steps forward in
The darkness guided by Thy hand."
(Keep a Quiet Heart, p. 12)

" Trust in the Lord with all of your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."
(Proverbs 3:5-6)

Happy New Year

I will turn the page and go into this new year going forward and not looking back. Thank you to all who come to visit here, thank you for being here on this journey of life.

~Kim~

22 comments:

Optimistic Existentialist said...

Kim this is a beautiful blog!! Happy New Year :)

~Keith

TexWisGirl said...

your first 5 mos. are gonna be hectic!!! take your vitamins! :)

Sue said...

Just starting on my list today, Kim and like yours it is somewhat long, the good news is, we have a whole year minus 1 day to get it all done. ~smile~
Enjoy your day and this new year.
Hugs,
Sue

Nellie said...

You are beginning your year with a list much like the list I had as we began the PAST year! What we don't do for our daughters when they marry!:-) As you accomplish each thing on that list, it will give you a sense of accomplishment.

I send wishes along for blessings of peace and joy in the New Year!

xoNellie

Beth said...

A lovely post Kim!

Kris said...

I enjoyed reading this blog post, especially the quote from F.W. Robertson.

A part of it reminded me of a quote from Theodore Roosevelt, "Do what you can, with what you have, where you are."

I think of this quote often when my tasks pile up and I become stressed. Instead of focusing on what is not done, or what I don't have, or where I should be in life, I think of that quote and it refocuses my attention to the whatever the task at hand might be.

I know the wedding will be fabulous and I hope you accomplish all your goals for 2013.

Julia said...

Hi Kim, I hope that you can get someone of your family to help with this big Job. You don't have to do this by yourself. I'm sure that they will all be happy to lend a hand.

I still have to work on some of my unfinished goals before I start some new one.

Wishing a great New Year and may all your dreams be fulfilled.

Take care, Hugs,
JB

Dog Trot Farm said...

You certainly are going to be busy my friend, I so wish I could lend a hand. What a lovely wedding this is going to be, lots of twinkle lights, home grown flowers, these are the elements that made a perfect country wedding. Does Em have her dress yet? All very exciting. Greetings from Maine, Julie.

Rugs and Pugs said...

Kim ~
You are going to be so busy you won't have time to eat...lol! Good luck.
Happy New Year.
Hugs :)
Lauren

Kessie said...

I saw that verse was the first one for Daily Light today, and it encouraged me so much. I also read on another blog that "hope is the expectation that NOW is not all there is." So I'm going into this new year with Hope.

Meg said...

Use and abuse me! I'll come help you paint and clean and do flower beds. You can't do it all by yourself!

camp and cottage living said...

Kim
This sounds like the best way to begin 2013!
I appreciate the quote and can see why you like it so well.
You have so much to accomplish,true, but you'll get it done!
Blessing to you and yours in 2013!

Jacque. said...

That is a long list...but you will accomplish great things with the help of others. Love your post today! xo

Homeschool on the Croft said...

This: "in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight." has been 'my' verse over 2012 - God has been SO good to us in guiding our paths, and truly blessing us in so many ways.
The first part of the verse, "Trust in the Lord with all your heart" is something I'm already thinking will be a very important verse for me in 2013. Already I'm beginning to think, 'What if.... I wonder ... ' etc ...
Oh, my faithlessness :/

It's so important not to dwell on our failures, but to use all our experience as learning experiences, and seek to live to God's glory in the time ahead. What a gracious God we have - HE doesn't 'hang onto' our mistakes. Thankfully.

Pom Pom said...

Oh, I don't like that "too much to do" feeling anymore. I wish you didn't have to do it all. I wish you had two clones of yourself to help. If the weather is stormy, maybe you can make those days "sit and stitch or hook" days. Yes?

Janettessage.blogspot.com said...

What an inspiring and hope-filled post. Even with all the work that needs to be done it is a wonderful and beautiful stress...a wedding and graduation....reaping the fruit of your labor!!

I am cheering you on...your ending quotes just stuck on my bones...great words.

May the Lord provide all that is needed...the strength, the energy, the lessons, the decor for the wedding...and the fullness of joy!

Debbie said...

I could not accomplish all that in a year! Good luck and remember to take time to smell the roses!

From Beyond My Kitchen Window said...

You are a doer Kim. I know you will get everything done and then some. The thing that takes the most time are the college visits and the applications. So much paper work for seniors. I love Black Eyed Susan's, but can see how this humble flower is not wedding worthy. Soooo exciting for you guys.

Patrice said...

Sounds like you will be one busy lady. Don't forget to take the time you need for yourself. Happy New Year!

moosecraft said...

You have a busy year ahead of you! BLack eyed susans are one of my very favorite flowers.... maybe you could just relocate them to a place where wedding pics won't be taken? lol!

Thistle Cove Farm said...

It sounds like this is going to be a Very busy year for you and yours! I don't make resolutions because I'm not even sure what that means but I do write goals and, like you, my to-do list has progeny.
All on its own, it would seem.
LOL

Miss Debbie said...

That was a great quote...a wonderful perspective and a great attitude to start the new year with! I'll be praying with you about wedding preparations. I know how stressful that can be!