Winter

Winter

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Chats on the Farmhouse Porch

It is time to visit with Patrice today. I am so glad she asks questions. It helps me to focus. I was a day behind watching Downton Abbey. We watched it last night. I woke up all night, sad. I would have to tell myself over and over, it is just a stupid T.V. show. It didn't happen. My husband and I were discussing it this morning over breakfast. He said, " I used to hear women in the lunch room discussing soap operas like we are doing, I can't believe I am." Well, lets say Downton Abbey must be the best show ever that I can't shake it today. Okay onto the questions:


1.    Have you ever been on a boat? (Motor boat, sail boat, cruise ship, ark, or Good Ship Lollipop)

Yes, We always had a boat when I was growing up. We fished and went water skiing. I have been deep sea fishing, I love being on the water. My favorite of all time though is a house boat. Nothing more fun than being on a houseboat.


 2.   Do you need an alarm to wake up in the morning, or do you wake up naturally? If you have an alarm, tell us what type.

No, I always wake up naturally. If I have to be somewhere, I will always wake up before it goes off. My husband will set his I pod with an alarm but we both wake up before it goes off. My sons had a Wallace and Gromit clock when they were small. When it would go off it would say, " Gromit ready for walkies?" They hated it.



3.    Have you ever had a yard sale?

Only one time, it was early marriage and our car was broke and we needed some money to get it fixed. We went through the house and collected things and put a sign out front. We needed a certain amount of money and as soon as we reached it we put everything away in the house. We didn't have much at that time of life so most of it we were still using. We got the car fixed though. I have never had another desire to have one again. I still don't.


4.    Do you like kitchen gadgets? What are some of your favorite?

I am not a gadget person. I don't even use a potato peeler. My husband and boys think they are great. I just like good sharp knives.


5.    Do you read labels at the grocery store?

Only if it is something that I have not bought before.  I might look at something that I like to see if I can make it at home. My girls have taught me so much about copy cat cooking. They are the masters. One thing that really bugs me is how the more expensive food has got the more additives they have added. If you want good food, it is just better to do scratch.  I think that is why we have just stopped going out to dinner. When my husband worked for a carrot company and they started doing short cut carrots, to peel them so you could buy them in the store, it would leave lots of the skin. They got the idea that they could take those peelings, dry them and powder them and sell it as a additive for bread. Which it is a cheap filler. They had a ready market and the big name bread companies bought it. There was nothing that went to waste. All of it was sold to the consumer. In one way or another.

Thanks once again to Patrice for her questions. Repair men are here today working on our computer issues.
I just learned some thing new. We pay for 6 megabites something for speed and usage from AT& T what we really get though is 1 1/2 on a good day. If we lived a street over, we would get 55 isn't that crazy? He found that someone is getting most of our usage. When he was telling me it sounded like a party line on the telephone in the old days. I hope that all makes sense. We have changed every single bit of hardware in the house and I was a bit relieved that it was them. Now there will be repair men working on the line today and maybe tomorrow.
Then maybe, just maybe we will have internet that works. I am not holding my breath though. One thing I thought was funny, when they replaced the telephone line to my brothers house the line was cloth. The guy was holding in his hand and said," this is antique. They quit making this in the 30s." No wonder the phone doesn't work when it rains. Such funny things are in the world.
Have a great day,
~Kim~

25 comments:

Jubilee Reviews said...

So excited to have found the chat on the porch! I am a country girl in KY and excited to have found your blog.

Visits With Mary said...

So glad to hear I'm not the only one who prefers a good knife over a potato peeler!!! Enjoyed visiting!

TexWisGirl said...

good luck with the internet. the cloth telephone line made me laugh.

and i liked being on a houseboat except for the wobbly 'sealegs' you get when you try to go back to land.

Julia said...

Love your answers but my favourite kitchen gadget is a potato peeler that peels like no other peeler. I used to use a sharp knife but I have an arthritic thumb and this peeler is a God sent to me.

Strange about your telephone line. I hope that your computer will be faster from now on.
Hugs,
JB

Alica said...

I have been hearing so many people "talking" about Downtown Abbey...and I have no idea what it is! You might have to enlighten me! :)

Beth said...

I have never been able to get a potato peeler to work on a potato for me. Works fine on a carrot. ;-)

Patrice said...

I bet deep sea fishing is fun. I had to laugh at your yard sale story. I guess we all do what we need to sometimes. I agree that they put too many additives in food. I hope you have a lovely week!

Patrice said...

Oh- BTW- I'm hooked on Downton Abbey! It's much classier than soap operas. :)

Suzanne McClendon said...

You have such pretty flowers in your posts. I love seeing them.

I hope that your computer/phone lines will behave for your now. What will they do about the whoever it is that is getting most of your usage? Does that mean they are also able to access the stuff in your computer? I hope not!

Thanks for visiting my post. Have a great week!

Meg said...

Cloth?!? That's hilarious! I read a label today and looked up what "Torula yeast" was... It's a byproduct from paper making, and it was in the seasoning on our potato chips!! I couldn't believe it, and was really disgusted.

I hope you're feeling better today after watching Downton Abbey last night. It really messed me up too and I just keep thinking about it. All I keep thinking is "Gosh, I was that close..."

Christine said...

We had to get new fiber optic broadband before Christmas and now get around 40-50 megabites - BIG difference from the 1-2 we were getting.
Have a great week!
Christine

Miss Debbie said...

I don't like potato peelers either...give me a knife any day!Hope they get your internet prob solved. It is surely is aggravating when it doesn't work!

Dog Trot Farm said...

Hi Kim, hope your computer issues are soon settled. Nothing bothers me more than when my computer or interent service acts up. I hate the fact that I cannot resolve them on my own. Me, sharp knife, Mr. Dog Trot potato peeler. A house boat sounds very romantic. I never knew dried carrot can be found in bread. I need to read the labels more carefully! It is snowing in Maine. Hugs, Julie.

Kim said...

Holy cow, Downton was a shocker! We've been talking about it here too. I'd be lost without my potato peeler. Other gadgets not so much.

Miss Debbie said...

Oh, and I was sad about Downtown Abbey, too. That certainly was a unexpected twist. Do you think Mary and Matthew will end up raising the baby? Hope the Super Bowl is over by 9 pm!!

Pom Pom said...

I don't have gadgets either.
Yay for fixed Internet!

Madonna said...

I don't watch Downton Abby but I know some of my facebook friends were sad and said that someone they liked died on the show. I would so love to spend some time on a house boat.

Debbie said...

I love copy cat cooking and I agree with you that the price seems to increase with the additives!

Nellie said...

I like reading your answers to Patrice's questions!

We haven't watched "Downton Abbey" here. I guess we aren't that taken by soap opera-type programming.:-)

xo Nellie

Kessie said...

I hope they get your internet working! There's nothing more frustrating than paying for something and not getting it. I wonder why they can't run a line to your house? Is it because it's county?

I keep thinking I should watch Downton Abbey, just to see what all the hoopla's about.

From Beyond My Kitchen Window said...

I really should get on board and start watching Downton Abbey. I've heard such wonderful things about it. I'm so glad you got your internet figured out and fixed. There is nothing like speedy internet service.

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

I was thinking that I was the only person left not watching Downton Abbey, but I see a few others here who haven't watched it either. I guess it's time for me to rent the Season 1 DVD and get on the bandwagon. ;-)

Good luck with getting your internet speed increased ... nothing's more frustrating that paying for something you're not getting.

Debbie said...

I am never sure how I miss one of your posts but looks like I did, and then I hate to comment so late as I am thinking you might miss it. Not that what I have to say is soo important, haha, but you know what I mean...Anyway, Downton Abbey is just that good for some reason. I wonder what in the world it is that appeals to all of us soo much...but it just does. I couldn't exist with my potato pealer btw, and there is NOTHING more irritating that a SLOW internet. Enjoy your day!

Janettessage.blogspot.com said...

fun post...oh I am a kitchen gadget girl here...and well those antiques seemed to work better...lol, I mean, how many times do you ever remember a phone repair man coming to your house as a child...LOL

Hope it all gets worked out...blessings and fun post

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

Cloth line? WoW that is old!