Winter

Winter

Monday, January 21, 2013

Things I Learned From Counted Cross Stitch

I was working on a pattern yesterday. I started it last year before glasses. Now with glasses I see my mistakes, as I was ripping out the old mistakes that I could see now that I couldn't see before. I thought there are things that apply to every day life.

In life there are always mistakes. But like in my counted cross stitch, stopping right then and fixing the mistake is better than waiting for it to go away and ignoring the problem. Fix any mistake if I can right then.

Follow the pattern. I need to repeat this over and over to myself. Quit trying to fix the problem by thinking I can figure something out on my own. Follow the rules. God gave us a book, it really is quite simple, so in life I just need to do what it says and quit trying to think I am smarter. I am not.

Don't give up. I have had this thought lately, I will never be a really good sewer, or hooker or crafter or gardener or even blogger or writer or wife or mother or teacher. On any day one of these pass through my brain. I keep sewing because I think if I keep ripping it out and if I keep sewing I will get better. If I am not happy with where I am then it is up to me to keep working only I can change the outcome and be where I want to be.

Pay attention. How often I will be doing a counted cross stitch and I just sort of enter in to this place where I don't know where I go but when I wake up, I have added too many stitches and I have to spend 20 minutes ripping out. I have to always be paying attention in life, to notice things that really important to pay attention to those nagging little voices that creep in that I need to listen to instead of turning up the music a little louder.

Be myself. Enjoy the journey. When I am sewing or reading or even walking, I am in hurry up mode so I can say I walked 5 miles or I finished another project or I can add another book to my reading list. I need to slow down and enjoy what I am doing so what if my finished projects look homemade well heck they are and I am getting there, so why not enjoy the work of my hands instead of comparing myself to others.

Be real. Yep, I make mistakes in my counted cross stitch that I just leave there because I am tired of the pattern and want to do something else. Stop being ashamed of what I do. Thank God that I have this time in life to sew. I have a feeling it is only for a brief moment in time so I might as well just be real and say, like Popeye, " I yam what I yam." I will never, ever, in a million years do perfect needle work.

 I just thought about his yesterday as I was sitting in front of the fire with my seam ripper in one hand and the scissors in the other hand. I just thought I would share it with you.
I hope you are having a nice Monday. I admit to being a little scared about this one. The first thing I did this morning was pour a cup of hot coffee down my pajama top and burned up  myself real good. I missed my mouth. It was early. Not to mention dark. I was sleepy. I woke up...fast.

So far though every thing is good.
Have a wonderful day.
~Kim~


21 comments:

Kim said...

You missed your mouth?? Mine is soooo big that never happens :) Its OK, its Monday. I woke up to a broken furnace and minus 19 temps outside. Its just Monday!
Give yourself a break - nobody is perfect but I think you are pretty close to it in all you do

Jacque. said...

Another thought-provoking post...thank you, Kim! (and...I owe you a long email...coming sometime soon, I hope!)

TexWisGirl said...

good lessons. i like your cute little sheep!

Sue said...

OH! I am so sorry, and hope you are okay, Kim, and I have done this same thing many times.
I love all your tips, you are much to hard on yourself, I think you do excellent work, I knowI have some of your projects displayed around my home, and when I see them I always think of you and say a prayer.

Enjoy your day.
Hugs,
Sue

Rugs and Pugs said...

Kim ~
Great post!
I don't have to worry about burning myself with hot coffee when I miss my mouth. I start my day with a diet Coke :)
Hugs,
Lauren

camp and cottage living said...

Oh, I do hope you're OK!
Good reflections to ponder today in correlation with your stitching!
Happy Monday!

Julia said...

I think I've got it.
1) In life there are always mistakes.
2) follow the pattern.
3) Don't give up.
4) Pay attention.
5) Be myself.
6) Be real.
7) Don't pour hot coffee down my Pyjama top
I would add
8) Zombies should not drink hot coffee especially early Monday morning.

I hope that you are OK, that burn sound serious. I hope that you are having a better afternoon.
I always love coming around to your blog as you are one of the most real person I know. And thanks for being you.
Hugs, JB


Alica said...

I loved this, Kim! Thanks for sharing...it is all so true!

Debbie said...

oh kim, we love you just the way you are ;)))

but better without a burn!!

Meg said...

Gosh are you ok? I think all your points are really good, especially the one about be yourself. I get in hurry up mode too, and then I look back and I wished I had been quiet and more slow.

Lynn said...

Lovely, lovely post, Kim. You have a lifetime's worth of wisdom wrapped up in this one. Someone could make a lovely calendar, picking out 12 of the truths you have here and matching them with pictures. But . . . sigh . . . I do have a cross stitch to finish, and some library books to get through, not to mention a house to clean, etc., so I will not be making that calendar anytime soon. But I do love all your points; they are worth remembering :)

Primitive Stars said...

Oh my, Hope you are o.k. Hot coffee, ouch.....I like your sheep and stars, looks great, don't be so hard on yourself.....Blessings Francine.

Gumbo Lily said...

The little mistakes make it unique and a "one of a kind." Loving your new background here.

Patrice said...

I also like your new blog background,oh, wise woman with coffee burns. Ouch! Feel better soon. :)

Maryann said...

I love this kim

Kessie said...

I hope you've had no more coffee incidents! I like your observations. They're the same sorts of things I've observed, myself.

Also, in today's Daily Light, there was that verse about, "Trials produce perseverance, perseverance produces character, and character produces hope." I was amazed to see that exact progression happening in our lives right now. More character! More hope!

Nellie said...

Oh, goodness! What a rude awakening! I hope you didn't badly burn yourself! You have given us some good lessons to follow, not just with cross stitch, which I never have had the patience to do. Take care of yourself! xo Nellie

Miss Debbie said...

Good truths and good applications! I think you do beautiful work, but I know we are our own worst critics. You see the mistakes, but no one else does! Sorry about the coffee spill...ouch! Glad your day got better!!

Dog Trot Farm said...

I love those words "enjoy the journey" a perfect sentiment. Your my dear are a wonderful, talented crafter! Hugs, Julie.

Homeschool on the Croft said...

I love when real life lessons are taken from 'everyday' stuff ... Such useful lessons to learn.

Just be assured that with or without glasses, my cross-stitches would be *nothing* like yours!

Oh, and hope you're okay after your hot spill :/

Anne x

Janettessage.blogspot.com said...

I missed this...probably because I have been dealing with mistakes. So I am commenting through tears of understanding and the balm it brought to my soul...to me you are just great at so many things...and communicating through your write is just one of many. Thanks Kim...I was truly blessed