Winter

Winter

Monday, January 17, 2011

Old Photographs


My cousin's daughter posted this picture and I thought it
was so neat. I love the old house and the old farm and how
they are standing in front of the house. From the left is my great, great
grandmother, Margaret NeVesta Robins, Then next to her is
my great grandmother Mina Alice Robbins, next to her was
my great Aunt Florence and then my Great, great grandfather Zachery
Robbins the man hit by lighting. Someone told my cousin that the house
is still there. What was really new to me was that this picture was
taken in Arkansas and not Oklahoma. Also how black my great great
grandmother is in the picture. I had my son try to fix it in photoshop
but she was that dark. It was the first picture I had ever seen of her
and I know that my family has always been dark featured.

My grandmother blamed it on my grandpa's family that we were dark.
Then she blamed it on my Dad's family as my great grandmother on that
side was full blood Choctaw. It is funny how now it is okay to admit you
have some native American blood in you but in school my parents threatened
death if I so much as mentioned I was something other than white.

Anyway do you ever notice how sometimes you sit down to write a blog
and it becomes something else, I wasn't going to write about this tonight.
I was going to give you some poems and I was looking through my hard drive
trying to find some pictures and I remembered this one.

I wanted to share some of the things that have ministered to me over the years

Then once again He reminds me.
" He who promised is faithful. Has He said and will
not do it? or has He spoken and will he not make good?
Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will
no means pass away"

I can look back at the darkest moments
of my life and I can see how all over my
life are finger prints of a loving heavenly
Father who led me down paths
I would not have gone nor been given
the gifts I did not deserve. He has
been faithful always.
So today, I lift up my hands in thanksgiving
because He is there.

This is a lovely poem from Fellowship of the Ring, I
think it speaks the loudest to me of people who have gone on
ahead.
I sit beside the fire and think of all that I have seen,
of meadow-flowers and butterflies in summers that have been;
Of yellow leaves and gossamer in autumns that there were,
with morning mist and silver sun and wind upon my hair.
I sit beside the fire and think of how the world will be
when winter comes without a spring that I shall ever see.

For still there are so many things that I have never seen:
in every wood in every spring there is a different green.
I sit beside the fire and think of people long ago,
and people who will see a world that I shall never know.
But all the while I sit and think of times there were before,
I listen for returning feet and voices at the door.

So this ends up being a bit of odds and ends.
Thank you for coming by for a visit, I am so thankful for
everyone one of you and for the many ways you continue to bless
my life.
~Kim~

11 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

White, black, brown, red, yellow, pink, tan, green. None of it should matter. Happy MLK Jr. Day.

From Beyond My Kitchen Window said...

MLK wanted his children to be judged my the content of their hearts and not by the color of their skin.

Miss Debbie said...

What a sweet testimony that you can look back and see specific times and places where God's hand directed you. He is faithful, isn't He? "Faithful is He who called you, who will also do it."

Yolanda said...

Wonderful Post. I know what you mean. I have a Great Granmother who was cherokee. I love old photos and wonder while looking at them sometime if they had the same hopes and dreams as us. Thanks for being my friend.

Kessie said...

Oh wow! I never knew there were any pictures of the grandma who was an indian! That's really awesome. I wonder if there's any better ones of her?

Also, I like your poems. I've had God's promises on my mind a lot lately.

Janean said...

beautiful post.

great old photo.

what is that roof-line called. i adore it.

Meg said...

I've been watching your sister post photos on Facebook and I love seeing old pictures of your family. This one is really cool!

Patrice said...

You should be proud of your American Indian heritage. What a neat culture! How poorly they were treated. It breaks my heart to think of that. It's fun to look at old pictures.Regarding heritage- I'm a mutt, but I'm housebroken!

Stop by for my Weightloss Support meme on Eveyday Ruralty!

Sue said...

Just a wonderful write for me, I just found out last year, that my grandmother was part Cherokee, I was so thrilled, though I am somewhat fair skin,.
The poem was so touching Kim, and as always your thought really inspire me.
Hugs,
Sue

Thistle Cove Farm said...

When we stop and think about it, we realize God ministers to us in many, varied ways. Every breath, every touch is a gift as is His word.
Love the photos and this post.

Verde Farm said...

Kim, great picture. Such a pretty house too. I love old photos so much. It just seems like they aren’t real--that things couldn’t have looked so different. Anyway, Beautiful post and uplifting to me. Thank you for your shared words lady :)
Amy