Winter

Winter

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Chats on the Farm House Porch

It is so nice to stop in and visit with Patrice today. It is the first time I have stopped today, I hope I don't nod off on you while we are chatting. I just had to show you how much my pumpkin patch has grown and I planted sunflowers around it and they are blooming too. It looks just the way I thought it would.

Okay, on to this week's questions:

1.    What's your favorite room in your home?
That is very hard, because I like them all. I guess I would say my porches. I spend lots of time on them in the summer. I really like my house and we use all of the rooms. It is a very used house.

 2.   If you could go anywhere on a vacation, all expense paid, where would it be?

Well. I would go to Canada and visit some of my friends just so I could hook with them, ( They know who they are) I would go to Maine and hang around there and then stop by and visit another friend and go to the Sleepy Hollow Graveyard. Then I would go to one of my other friends house and sit in her yellow new dining room and have her teach me all about cooking. Then I would go down to North and South Carolina and hang out for awhile down there and then I would have to come home, but it would be a grand tour. These are just off the top of my head right now. There would be lots of people that I would love to visit. 

3.    Were you a girl scout or in any similar program?

I was a Blue Bird. I don't even know if they have them anymore. I was in first grade. When I joined my Mom told me I couldn't quit so I had better want to stick with it. I hated it with a passion. I thought it was dumb and boring and I hated going home with the girl whose mother was the blue bird leader. My Mom was adamant that I keep going because I wanted to join. We made a craft where we glued macaroni onto a box. I thought it was so dumb, I liked the box and when I got home I broke all of the macaroni off and kept the box. Selling cookies was a horrible experience. I was six and I had the door slammed in my face and I was yelled at.
Since my Mom wouldn't let me quit, I learned my lesson, so I wouldn't join anything. You should have seen me when they wanted me to sign the marriage license,  it took awhile. The really sad thing was my blue bird leader died so that was the only way I got to quit. My Mom had this weird idea that if you gave your word you had better keep it. If someone gave her too much change, she would walk ten miles back to find the person and give it back.

 4.   What's your favorite frozen treat?

I hate to admit this but home made ice cream and Orange Crush. I have never really been a big fan of ice cream, but that day it got so hot and we made ice cream and then I got the idea to pour some Orange Crush over it. It was divine.

  5.  Are you NASCAR or the elderly lady with the pillbox hat when you drive?

I used to drive a sports car and I loved driving fast. Then I had kids. Now I drive a huge car I still like driving fast, but I am rarely alone so I drive very carefully and stay on the speed limit.


Stop by and visit with Patrice on her porch today,
~Kim~

Everyday Ruralty

16 comments:

Patrice said...

Ours is a very used house too. It's small enough that there isn't any unused space. I could think of no better visitor than the one who would sit in my yellow dining room! Good thing you didn't have to put macaroni on that marriage license!Orange Crush and ice cream sounds pretty good. Makes me think of the cream-sickles that I grew up with. I swear sports cars make you drive faster. I had one and it had a mind of its own. I saw some sunflowers the other day and you were the first thought I had. My sunny friend. Have a great week!

TexWisGirl said...

your ice cream w/ orange crush sounds like a pop-up! yummy!

Sue said...

This was such a fun read, Kim, I always learn something new chatting with you here on the porch. The story of your blue Bird experience was so cute, and I am one of those who would walk ten miles to give back the money. Just the other day after checking out at Wal-Mart I found a small item that had been over looked it wasn't but 48 cents,but I went back in and got it straightened out. the funny thing the casher looked at me in such a funny way, with a question on her face. lol
Thanks for always brightening my day.
Hus,
Sue

Kim said...

Ooooh, I'll order more wool and put the coffee pot on for your visit!! I want to go to Maine with you too. You poor little bluebird - I giggled a little but really it was sad.
Next time you have ice cream try it with root beer instead. Soooo good.
Loved this post

From Beyond My Kitchen Window said...

Not only would we go to Sleepy Hollow we could visit The Old North Bridge and Louisa May Alcott's house. Then we could take a ride to Plymouth and see Plymouth Rock and the Mayflower. Oh, we would have so much fun.

Pom Pom said...

Hi Kim!
It sounds like you had a busy day working, working, working!
Oh my goodness! Now I am dying to try orange Crush and ice cream. It sounds so summery!
That's a very sad Bluebird story. I was a Bluebird/Camp Fire Girl, too. I don't remember the crafts, just the games of chase while we waited for the moms to come. I also remember the long rides in the carpool. I could have walked home faster. I think our moms were joiners and we aren't. I still feel guilty for quitting things! Weird!

Miss Debbie said...

If you win that trip,please add GA to your list and come see me!! :-)

Cathy Kennedy said...

You made me think of how yummy vanilla ice cream is with either rootbeer or grape soda pulled over it. That's some kinda good stuff! I would imagine orange soda would be good, too. :P BTW, I picked Maine as my vacation destination spot, too!

Empty Nester said...

Ha! If you ever make it to SC I might not let you go back home! LOL My mom let me quit things and I wish she hadn't. When the lovelies were growing up I just told them to try different things until they found the one they loved and then stick with it. They all did! We're still hot and humid here- but the sun is hidden behind what I hope are clouds that will turn into storm clouds!

Debbie said...

used homes are best and a lot more fun to visit!!

and a speeding kim?? hard to invision!!

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

I love porches and really wish we had one here. It's a shame that they don't build porches on houses any more. :-(

I love orange soda or cream soda on vanilla ice cream! I haven't had that in years ... maybe it's time to have some. It would be a simply delightful treat with this heat.

Beth said...

I would love for you to stop by central Illinois and visit with me.

I have fixed ice cream in a tall glass with orange crush soda poured over it. Wonderful! Tastes like a dreamsickle. Not sure if I spelled that right.

Homeschool on the Croft said...

You were a bit like me and put lots of holidays into one.... after all, it was all expenses paid!
I'm laughing thinking of the Blue Birds and not being allowed to quite - laughing, but glad it wasn't me.... :/ Yep, these things teach us right enough!

And you're like me with the driving - other passengers make us slow down, don't they ... just as well ;)

Dog Trot Farm said...

Kim, your vegetable garden is looking fantastic! I too was a bit like your mom, if my boys wanted to join a club or after school activity I made them follow through, it was a commitment on their part. So come to Maine first, the guest room is ready. We'll have Kim fly in from Canada and we will hit all the New England Hot spots, I'm just an e-mail away!

Arlene said...

I have to say, I like your mom. Yes, maybe she was a bit stubborn, but I love a woman of principles, and only wish there were more people like that around today.

Have a blessed rest of your week!

Janettessage.blogspot.com said...

Fun post...your life has been so full it could fill a book...you had a race car! Well Go girl!