Winter

Winter

Thursday, December 13, 2012

Ho, Ho, Ho

Do you ever feel sometimes like your life is a episode from I Love Lucy? Do you remember yesterday when I told about my bedroom smelling like I washed a sheep? I finally checked the rug I steamed and it was so dry but I could still smell wet wool. Last night, I was going to take my shoes off and put on my house shoes, I never do that normally. I wear my shoes until I get into bed at night. It was raining and the wind was blowing and it just sounded cozy. No one was coming over last night so I though I was safe. I took my shoes off in my closet and my feet got wet. Ron was taking off his boots and I looked at him and I said, " The carpet is soaking wet!!!" We both dropped to our knees and sure enough the carpet in the closet is wet almost to the door way. We looked at each other and both said, " The hot water heater is leaking. We went to the door of the office and sure enough water was pouring out the door onto the porch.

This is the place outside on the porch where the hot water heater is and the unit for the forced air. The water has been running down that wall into my closet which is on the other side. My husband grabbed a hose and hooked it up to drain the hot-water heater so it drained all night. The hard thing is getting that heavy thing off that bench thing it sits on.

Last year it was December  23rd when the other hot water heater broke. This water heater is for our room and the guest room. So it doesn't get used as much as the other one. When we built this house we thought it was over kill to have so many air conditioners and hot water heaters but I am glad now. I can still do my laundry today and the kids still have hot water to take showers with upstairs and I have hot water in my kitchen. 
I am thankful I have boys to help their Dad today and we don't have to wait for a plumber. Or pay one. I am thankful that it was just a year ago so we still remember what you have to do to change one out.  I am thankful it is the 13th and not December 23rd and I am thankful that most of the water went outside. I was wanting to clean and reorganize my closet anyway so I will get that done. It is just sooner that I was planning. I am also thankful it happened this week and not last week when I was on jury duty. Not to mention I am so thankful my husband is so handy. Thankfully, he was able to take today off. It is only 42 degrees and it has stopped raining.
Next December, we should be good on water heaters.

Well, I need to get off because I can hear my husband trying to move that heavy thing by himself. It is early and he always wants to let the boys sleep.

So while I feel like my life sometimes is a bad episode of a sitcom. It does always work out in the end.

Have a great day,
~Kim~


17 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

at least you found the source of the smell! we've torn out carpet pads in both bathrooms due to leaks from hot water heater or toilets or sinks or...

Debbie said...

Oh Kim I LOVE your attitude! And your right of course, you found many things to be thankful in the midst of this situation. Now I will express my ignorance and say I had no idea a house COULD have two hot water heaters...but what a wonderful idea. Now you (like you said) aren't stuck with NO hot water at all. It rained ALL night here too..I loved it! It is cool here too, but still in the 50's. It is really cool there though huh? Hope you have a good day!

http://bitsandpieces-sonja.blogspot.com/ said...

How great that your hubby can DO those things! We replaced TWO water heaters last year, and paid a pretty penny for the 'privilege'. :)

Julia said...

I would love to see you acting out your life little dramas on your own show like Lucille Ball, lol. It would be fun to watch...
This reminded me of Frank Sanatra's song, That's Life. I had to go on youtube and listen to it. I love that old song.

When you were talking that you took your shoes off I was kind of wondering if it was the sourse of the wet sheep smell, although I had never heard that shoes could smell like wet sheep. lol...

I'm glad that you were led to your closet and found the problem before it got bigger and that your hubby fixed it. I hope that you don't get no more skunk or wet sheep smell for a while.

Have a great weekend.
Hugs,
JB

Meg said...

I thought you were going to say you were working the chocolate line, and the chocolates were coming too fast. ;)

Gosh, every year it's something. Wasn't the year before last the dishwasher? Good thing you found it though. And yes, very good to have handy husbands who can fix things. Oh well, they do last about 10 years before they start leaking so I guess it's time was up.

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

That's certainly looking for the silver lining of your cloud. ;-) Even when things don't go the way we'd plan, we can always find something to be thankful for. Hoping that the rest of 2012 will be uneventful. ;-)

Beth said...

One might as well laugh as to cry. Much easier on the facial muscles. I am glad your husband will have help with the water heater.

Christine said...

There are sure to be days/weeks or it might feel like months when things go awry.
Your thankfulness and willingness to see the blessings in all things is a real encouragement to me and spurs me on to trust in the Lord for He is good.
Blessings
Christine

Kim said...

You always see the bright side. At least it happened now and not when you had a houseful for Christmas. It hope the rest of December brings you dry feet!

Nellie said...

Oh, my! What a job! Our water heater is in our crawl space, and my husband checks it regularly. I just hope we don't have to replace it anytime soon. Yes, it is a blessing to have a husband who is able to take care of those repairs.:-) xo Nellie

Vintage Gal said...

Oh my goodness ~ what a trying time for you. I am so glad that you are still thankful in the face of all that has gone wrong. Blessings come in different ways. Thank goodness it wasn't in the middle of bitter cold weather. Blessings for husbands who are so helpful~Hope everything turns out just fine ~ I'll be thinking about you

Kessie said...

Wow, aren't you glad Dad was home? I smelled that smell when I was over there, but I had shoes on and wasn't looking at the carpet. Did it damage the wall? When water leaked from the shower into our closet, they just pulled the carpet up and blew fans on the floor and wall for a couple of days.

Gumbo Lily said...

I hear the words "I'm thankful" so many times in this post, I think the broken water heater was a "good thing."

Miss Debbie said...

Glad you found the problem and have been able to fix it. The first time our water heater died, our first born was less than a week old.Talk about bad timing! Wonderful that you can find so many ways to be thankful in the midst of the trouble. Henry Blackaby says that is "finding the pearl"! You found enough to make a necklace! :-)

Unknown said...

Thank goodness it did happen before Christmas or before the winter weather kicks in. I've had a basement flood due to water heater breaking, not fun!

From Beyond My Kitchen Window said...

Someone upstairs didn't want to spoil your Christmas. I'm sorry that it happened at all, but glad it happened this week and not closer to Christmas.

Janettessage.blogspot.com said...

Great post...you have found the silver lining...now I need to get off here and do the same...I was looking through cloudy glasses

Blessings and warm water to you...