Winter

Winter

Thursday, August 4, 2011

Rug Hooking This Week.


I worked on my little chicken rug this week. I know that I have
shared so much stuff on this blog that sometimes I shake my head
in disbelief that I share what I share. But I just can't show you
my little chicken rug. I looked at it one day after a day of hooking,
and I laughed so hard I thought I was going to cry.
The chicken is just a blob and the colors are just hideous. Mark it up
to experience right. The only good thing is I am learning to get my loops
the right height and not so close together.

A long, long time ago I bought a bunch of books with rug patterns in them
in hopes that I might get to learn how to hook. I got one by Need'l Love called
Haunted Threads. This is going to be my next rug and I am going to follow directions.

That is the pattern. It has letters but I will conquer letters.
I have been collecting wools for the last couple of weeks so now
I think I can start it. I even bought some red dot tracer to trace the pattern.


Here is some of the wool I bought. I am so excited.
Do you know that is would be really, really easy to
just keep buying wool, I have always been really careful about
yardage and never kept much of a stash. But with wool, if feel
like a starving person in a candy store. I feel like I don't have
any self-control. Maybe I am safe here in California because we
don't have any wool stores. I have to order it all online.
I took a picture of the rug in the book, just so you know what it will look like,
I hope mine will closely resemble it, but at this point I am just hoping for
close.

Isn't it really cute? I am going to start it tomorrow morning.
I have never done anything as big as this. You know, I like pulling
wool loops so much that even if it doesn't look like this picture, I will
keep doing it until someday, I will know what I am doing.
I have always got back up on the horse when I have fallen off.
I might be so sore I couldn't move the next day, but I did learn to ride
a horse.
I think the same thing applies to rug hooking, I will just keep hooking and
have a good laugh on the way.

Have a lovely Friday,
~Kim~

Oh, that men would give thanks to the Lord for His goodness, for His wonderful works to the children of men!

(Psalm. 107:6)

14 comments:

Dog Trot Farm said...

Come on, show us the chicken rug, pretty please!

Kim said...

Yeah, now I REALLY want to see the chicken rug......pleeeeeeze.........

Kessie said...

I'm glad you're moving on, even with a few flops under your belt. You know what they say--every artist has 50,000 bad drawings to get out of the way before they get to the good stuff, so you'd better get to work and get those 50,000 out of the way quick as you can. :-)

TexWisGirl said...

you're so cute. i'm allergic to wool so i wouldn't be able to do it at all.

Meg said...

Starving person in a candy store... Have you seen my yarn stash? It takes up TWO ROOMS! Lol! I can totally understand how you want to keep buying wool and if it comes down too it don't worry... I will completely encourage and enable the purchase of more sheepy goodness. ;)

Miss Debbie said...

I'm glad you had a good laugh, but sad we didn't get to see it! I've been sort of "out of pocket" this week.... the last push before having the realtor to come over tonight. Enjoyed reading the post about your sister...very sweet. I'm sure you miss her.

Pom Pom said...

I can see why that wool would be tempting. Your finished rug will be VERY cute!

Debbie said...

wow on the purple flowers and good luck with the rug!! i get the whole wool thing, when i do something, i do it big & all the way!!

Sassafras and Winterberry said...

Look, I'll show you my hideous schooner rug if you show me the chicken. I think most of us has a rug like that somewhere in our hooking past. For some, like me, there's more than one! LOL I love the new pumpkin pattern...that will be fun to hook!
Courtney

Diana Ferguson said...

Have fun with this!!

no spring chicken said...

Some people just don't know what they're missing. I mean, I'm not a hooker ;) (I just had to say that), but it's the same with knitting and spinning... I'm guessing crochet, and cross stitch... It really is meditative and addicting. Whether you turn out something worthwhile or not it really is just the process. Of course, it's way wonderful if you DO turn out something worthwhile!

Blessings, Debbie

Samantha said...

I love that rug..adorable!

Janettessage.blogspot.com said...

So enjoy seeing your work...it always inspires me...I just need to get my work room ready and unpacked..oh my still unpacking all these boxes, will it ever end? LOL

Keep it up girl...

Primitives By The Light of The Moon said...

Looking forward to seeing the chicken rug! I have my very first rug and boy what a difference the next rug looks like. Have fun working on this one.