Winter

Winter

Thursday, August 25, 2011

The Dreams of The Everyday Housewife


I trimmed my rosebushes today. I always feel like such a murderer
when I just cut these pretty flowers off and throw them in the trash.
I just didn't have the patience to get cleaned up to come in the house
to put it in a vase so I took it's picture, then I threw it in the trash. I take
no prisoners when I clean my flowerbeds.

Okay so yesterday I watched a news special on how Glen Campbell has Alzheimer's.
Which really makes me sad. I know I was only a kid when he was really big.
I would watch his show with my Mom and Dad and I loved all of his songs. My Mom
had his albums, right there next to Elvis. I liked him too but I like Glen Campbell best.

After I watched the news report, I wanted to get his greatest hits album so I did. I went
outside with it on my I Pod and I don't know how but I know those songs better
than I know my kids names. I know the words and the tunes.
As I was working there came this song,

The Dreams of The Everyday Housewife

"She looks in the mirror and stares at the wrinkles that weren't there yesterday
And thinks of the young man that she almost married
What would he think if he saw her this way?"

I remembered sitting and watching my Mom cry when she first heard that song,
and I couldn't understand why.

Now I know. Such a very nice song. I don't post things like this very much but
it was so bittersweet.

I just thought I would share it with you,
Have a great Friday,
~Kim~





9 comments:

Kim said...

I watched that interview. It made me so sad. Such a horrible disease.

Dog Trot Farm said...

Thank you for sharing, we must be close in age, as I loved Glen Campbell and his songs. I have not thought about him for years, but when I watched the video, I remembered the words to this song. My favoite "I Am The Lineman For The County", sweet nostalgia. Thinking of you, Julie.

TexWisGirl said...

wow. haven't heard that song in forever...

i liked him for his role in True Grit. :)

Sue said...

One of my favorite singers Kim, and I was saddened when I found he has Alzheimer's, I love this song, I relate to seeing the wrinkles that were not there yesterday oh how I relate, but Oh honey! how blessed that I married my young man, and he still looks the same, I only hope he looks at me the same way. ~smile~
Thanks for sharing such a beautiful post.

Nancy said...

I read that yesterday too...It made me very sad as I remember watching his show and yes we all know the songs.....

Isn't it amazing how much we understand now what we didn't when we were younger....like your mom crying over that song....I used to tell my kids just wait you'll understand one day....

Thanks for the post and the memories.....

Maryann said...

It is a horrible disease, I also saw an interview with the coach of the ladies basketball team in Tenn (I think the Lady Vol's)who was also recently diagnosised with the disease, very sad

Julia said...

Kim, this song of Glen Campbell hits home for me too. Just this morning when I looked in the mirror, I saw some wrinkles that weren't there yesterday too and I saw how old and neglected my face looked, darkened by the little bit of sun that we got this summer. I looked like a dried up prune.

I miss my neighbor who died two years ago of Alzheimer. She didn't lasted long after she was placed in a nursing home even though her husband was there every day. She couldn't cope and was getting violent with others. Such a very sad and cruel disease. Hugs, JB

Debbie said...

kim....when i go out, i bring a vase filled with water with me, fill it with my treasures and keep it in the shade.

that's a really pretty one, i love the color!!

Patrice said...

Somehow I missed this post. I really understand this song now. I didn't get it at all when it was popular. It must be those wrinkles!