Winter

Winter

Monday, August 1, 2011

Blackberry Cobbler


I haven't posted a recipe in a while. This is my favorite one
for Blackberry Cobbler. When I was a kid, my grandmother was
the best cook. In the summer, we only ate food out of the garden.
I have never eaten fried okra the way she could fry it. It was in
its own class of perfection. Fried potatoes were good too.

When I had my son who is born in June, she brought us fried
squash, and potatoes and the best cobbler I had ever eaten.
I don't know if it was because I was starving but never have
I eaten food that tasted better than that. Oh, she brought
her first batch of black-eyed peas. I can't make food
that tastes like that no matter how hard I try.

I would ask her to write down how she did things and she would just
shrug her shoulders and say, " cooking doesn't come from a book, it
comes by how it feels. I just do everything by taste. " So I had to watch
like a hawk to see how she did things.

I asked about her cobblers but the closest I have been able to figure out
is this one. She always put her batter in the pan first then the fruit and
then as it cooks the batter comes to the top of the pan. When I found this
one I was so happy. It is my favorite and if your berries are juicy it just
makes it that much better.
Enjoy!

Blackberry Cobbler Recipe

Blackberry Cobbler RecipePhoto by: Taste of Home Blackberry Cobbler Recipe

Blackberries abound in fields and alongside country roads in late summer around here. It's fun to pick them, especially when we know this dessert will be the result.

This recipe is:

Ingredients

  • 1/4 cup butter, softened
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 2 cups fresh or frozen blackberries
  • 3/4 cup raspberry or apple juice
  • Ice cream or whipped cream, optional

Directions

  • In a small bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Combine flour and baking powder; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk just until moistened.
  • Pour into a greased 1-1/2-qt. baking pan. Sprinkle with blackberries. Pour juice over all. Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm; top with ice cream or cream if desired. Yield: 6-8 servings.


Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 197 calories, 6 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 17 mg cholesterol, 169 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 2 g protein.

You know of course, I always double it and it doubles just fine. :)


14 comments:

Jennifer said...

is that "blackberries grow in fields and alongside country roads" comment from you or from Taste of Home? I would love to go pick blackberries. Just tell me the road ;)

camp and cottage living said...

I don't have access to blackberries anymore. I wonder if you can substitute raspberries? I've never had a recipe call for juice-I bet it moist cobbler. It sure looks tasty.
I bet that didn't last too long at your house Kim!

Cindy Caudle said...

The cobbler sounds delicious. I have some blackberries and I going to try the recipe. Thank you

Debbie said...

that look's so yummy, i hope i have the energy to make it. i love taste of home, they have some great recipes!!

Dog Trot Farm said...

Glad you discovered this recipe Kim and kindly shared it with us. I do believe my great grandmother too tasted and adjusted her recipes as she found fit. To this day I have not tasted a molassas cookie nor piece of homemade toast that compares to her's. Part of it I do believe was all the love she put into her cooking. Thinking of you, your friend from Maine, Julie.

Miss Debbie said...

Sounds tasty! We had a blackberry patch in a field behind our house when I was growing up. I can remember going out there in the heat in long sleeves and long pants so the thorns on the bushes wouldn't scratch us. It wasn't much fun! But I also remember the delicious cobblers my mom made with the berries we picked!

Maryann said...

Sounds good, looks like a weekend project

Meg said...

Ok that's creepy that you posted this because I just made this tonight with peaches (yep, the ones from the freezer!). Seriously just pulled it out of the oven 10 minutes ago! I guess it's just a cobbler kind of day.

http://bitsandpieces-sonja.blogspot.com/ said...

I know what you mean about not being able to cook like they did... no matter what i do, it never tastes as good as what my mom used to cook and bake, never. The cobbler recipe looks so good Kim. I have a hunch pretty much everything made at your house is good!

xo

From Beyond My Kitchen Window said...

I'm embarrassed to tell you I have never had a cobbler dessert. We are more pie and crisp people I guess. I am going to make this when I go to the farm for some more peaches. I had noticed that they had containers of blackberries. Thanks Kim. I will be sure to let you know how it comes out.

Sassafras and Winterberry said...

I've been picking blackberries everyday. I've been freezing them mostly, to make jam, but I might have to make this cobbler with some of them. It looks so good. We used to make blueberry buckle when I was a kid...it's kind of like cobbler, isn't it?
Courtney

no spring chicken said...

This cobbler recipe sounds perfect! I love the way you described your grandma's cooking. One of mine was like that. Do you suppose our grandgirls are going to be equally impressed with our kitchen accomplishments? It's something to strive for!!

Blessings, Debbie

Cathy Kennedy said...

Mmmm, blackberry cobbler! That sounds so summerish and delightfully delicious. It would be excellent topped with vanilla ice cream, don't you think? =D

Hopping from Chats on the Farmhouse Porch...

Bonnie K said...

Wow! Just caught up on all of your posts. Bats, dancing chicken rugs, blackberry cobbler, and kitten licking dogs. Your house is full of interesting things. Always something different, but also always good humor and love of husband and family. Enjoyed catching up!