Winter

Winter

Saturday, February 8, 2014

Just Thinking Part Two

Thank you so much for your lovely comments on yesterdays post. I always treasure each and every one. I was thinking about the race question as I was cleaning house and I thought I would explain why the race question bothers me so much. As does isolating people by groups. I do agree that some races are more susceptible to diseases. As many of you know, I am a history buff.

In Ancient history, we have Rome. Nero used Christians to light his gardens. Diocletian was even worse. Then Augustine made Christianity the state religion and things quieted down.
Hitler isolated the Jews first by the star of David they were to wear and then put them in the ghettos and they ended up in camps and ovens and all of the other atrocities. 


My great, great grandparents were Choctaw Indians. They were educated and they lived in a brick house and owned a store. President Jackson, decided that all Indians needed to be moved to Oklahoma. My great grandparents lost every thing but what they could carry and began the Trail of Tears. They made it to Cape Girardeau,  Missouri. Where she gave birth to my great grandmother. They were again isolated into a people group and sent not as Americans that they were but by the people group so the government could take their homes, businesses and land. My grandparents were so afraid of it happening again that by the time I was grade school age, I was forbidden to tell anyone of my heritage.

As a teenager, my family and extended family took us to the Trail of Tears Museum in Oklahoma. As I walked around and looked at the pictures, I was shocked. Then to hear people weeping. I went to my grand mother and had her tell the story, and she tried to tell it but she too wept as she recounted the history. My Dad grew up in the Weedpatch Camp, the one that was made famous in the Grapes of Wrath. The one thing that was different, was they knew how to work and to receive anything they didn't work and any kind of government handout was terrible to them. They bought themselves a old wooden train car and land and all of my life my grandmother lived in that wooden train car and was proud of her home.


This is the saying that they have.

"We, the great mass of the people, think only of the love we have for our land. For we do love the land where we were brought up. We will never let our hold to this land go. To let it go will be like throwing away our mother that gave us birth."

              --Letter from Aitooweyah to John Ross, Principal Chief.

Now you know why when I have a form and I fill it out and it asks what is my race and nationality. It is because my family has suffered because of that question.  The place I went to for the medical things, I didn't know it was a Obama Care facility. I had private insurance. They didn't know what to do with me. I waited over 2 1/2  hours. On the wall is a sign that says, " For medical care, all you need is a social security card. " The people with Obama care, were taken right in while I waited.  For the record, I was the only white person there. So does it remind me a little of what my grandparents experienced, you betcha. I am one of the haves.  I don't have government health care.


~ Kim~


 "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

" George Santayana"

11 comments:

NanaNor's said...

Good Morning Kim, I know the shower will be perfect-because you are the hostess with the mostest. O.k. so I'm thinking you are way toooo young for any heart issues. However, when I reached menopause I started having a racing heart and went it-got put on meds(because I didn't research my age and the symptoms)but several years later I found out that women going through the change often have heart palpitations. I'm glad you are being careful.
Have a great day!
Hugs, Noreen

Julia said...

Oh Kim, thanks for explaining all this... there has been so much wrong doing all through the ages, and all because of race or language heritage and ignorance. Like the deportation of the Acadian of which I'm a descendant. I had to google the history of the Weedpatch Camp and I was ignorant of the facts.... I had never heard of this part of history. I can see why you were so upset with those questions.

I don't understand, I thought that the Obama health care was for everyone but then I know nothing of the American politics.

I hope that this will not ruin your week. It's getting so close to your surgery. I'll be praying for you.

Big hugs,
JB

Gail said...

I agree completely. With our mixed "heritage" there were many problems years past. I was raised with the love of land, how to take care of it and it will take care of you. I was taught we were all the same and no one should be shunned because of their heritage.

Cherokee came into my lineage through my great grandmother traveling through the Carolinas. She was the only child living as ancestors traveled by a village massacre. They took the baby girl to town to try to find someone that wanted her. I won't tell what the townspeople said but my ancestors raised her as their own.

The rest were by immigration through legal channels and they were required to speak English.

I will stop before I continue ranting.

God help us if history repeats itself.

Have a blessed day.

Beth said...

You have a very proud heritage! I am sorry that your great grandparents had to endure such sad times.

Miss Debbie said...

I am sure these things are hard for you to talk about. It was kind of you to share them with us. It is understandable why these questions would trouble you.

Kessie said...

Oh yeah, it's only going to get worse, the health care thing. In ten years kids will get their shots via raffle, like they do in Canada. If we keep letting them divide us, eventually we'll fall.

Thistle Cove Farm said...

and there are still folks who think obama care is going to be a good thing. so far, more has been spent on the wreck of a website than in the last 3 superbowls combined...oh yeah, now there's savings for ya!

Empty Nester said...

Oh girl, don't get me started. One of the commercials during the Super Bowl was the Coke one where they had people singing America in different languages. My comment: Well, I guess the conservatives won't be buying coke products anymore.

Gumbo Lily said...

Don't get me started, I want to be a nice lady.

Alica said...

I'm sorry your family has had to go through such hard times in the past! Our histories sure change our perspectives on things, don't they? Hugs!

cards4ubylouise and other treasures said...

ObamaCare, I don't have any good to say about it. It's just another tool of Satan to get people to depend on man and government rather then depending on God alone. Another thing I see running through the vein of this is God's Word, when the Bible is taken out of the schools, out of the government, out of a country, we'll have nothing but problems. Man certainly thinks he is smarter then God. Washington DC is going insane and most all the politicians "speak with a forked tongue"!!!!

But, God is still on the throne and He has complete control of everything that is happening. We can have that confidence in knowing that every knee will bow and every tongue confess that Jesus is Lord.

You have quite a wonderful heritage Kim. Now I know why you love your chickens and gardening and your land.....it's in your blood. Your ancestors would be proud and happy for you.