Winter

Winter

Monday, August 12, 2013

Monday Musings

When I took this picture, I didn't see the ladybug resting on one of the petals. Can you see it? It made me smile. I know you are going to get tired of my pictures of sunflowers but going this long without any has been hard. Now that I have some starting to bloom, every day when I walk out there I am greeted by a new one if really does feel like I open a gift each day.

Speaking of gift. I have a friend who sends me things from time to time and she always sends boxes filled with such fun things and they always have the prettiest bows and cards. She sent me a box last week and in it was this fantastic candle.

It is this small size of jar that I have and have been saving, hoarding waiting to use for a good purpose. I think I might try my hand at this, one thing I have always loved making is candles. I used to make them all of the time when my kids were small. I would make them this time of year because school would be starting and I would want to buy new boxes of crayons so I would make candles to use up all of my old crayons as colorant.

It is August, when I went out this morning everywhere I looked I had mushrooms coming up. No fairy rings yet, but if the weather stays like this maybe we will. I thought this was a nice grouping of them. I could almost see that the fairies had been having tea before I walked up and disturbed them. We have this tiny little hummingbird that lives outside my bedroom window. As I watched it fly and dance above the pool this morning, I thought that maybe it really wasn't a hummingbird but a fairy in disguise

. I think we are really turning into home and garden junkies. When we first moved here we bought a Jacaranda tree. We both loved it for it lovely purple blooms and lacy leaves. Ron found some at Lowe's so we went to get some for the front yard.


They are huge. They will be in in front in part of  the house that doesn't have any trees at all. While I was there I found another unique Echinacea.  This one was red of course I need another plant like I need a hole in the head but there you go.

As I have mentioned before I live on a street that has 5 houses. The one to my right is now vacant. Then next door is my brother's property and then my sister's property.  A family has just moved in in the house that has been vacant further down the street. My brother and his family went on vacation and they had a girl come stay at their house. The man who lives on my sister's property has been working all summer in San Diego.
While my brother was gone, it seems a homeless man moved in and took up residence under a old pecan tree. I can't see that area from my house and I never go over there. We remember this guy going back and forth on his bike but I never thought he would just move in. I have had homeless people coming to the door looking for this man named something I can't remember now. Little did I know they were looking for the guy living under the pecan tree. Do you know how much that just freaks me out? I am always out by myself and I do have Sasha and I know she would bite him but still just the idea. My sister in law was the one who found him and made him move on but she caught him moving back in one night.


It has made me think a lot about the world in which we live. It has always been the wild west out here but you just don't expect people to move in when you are on vacation. With the vacant property on the other side of me, I expect it won't be too long before I see something like that again. They have lots of outbuildings.

Any way just what is going on around here on this Monday.
I hope you have a great week. Have you got to see the Perseides  this weekend? They were quite a show.
We normally have clouds or the moon is too bright. This year it is just perfect.

Bye for now,
~Kim~

14 comments:

Kessie said...

That is so freaky about the homeless guy! Totally keep Sasha with you. I didn't know that other house was vacant.

I'm glad your sunflowers are finally blooming. They'll keep you going up until Christmas, probably. :-)

TexWisGirl said...

the squatters would freak me out. i've heard stories on the news of those that actually move IN to the house while folks are on vacation. do be careful!

Jacque. said...

wow...a lot of random thoughts in that post. Fun...'cept for the squatter guy.

Nancy said...

I am like you I keep buying flowers...I just love them but always forget I have to plant all of them when I get home....

I am amazed someone would just come into someone's yard and set up housekeeping...That is creepy....Please keep Sasha with you......

http://bitsandpieces-sonja.blogspot.com/ said...

Yep, I'd be peeking out the windows regularly... keep Sasha close by. Creepy... some of those people may have lost a lot of their lives, but not their nerve.

Pom Pom said...

Oh, that's sad. I feel bad for a man who has to live under someone's pecan tree. Not that I think it's okay for him to do it, but still sad.
I don't blame you a bit for getting so excited about your sunflowers! They are so happy and pretty!

Meg said...

Oh I'm so glad you have sunflowers. I never got around to planting any this year and now I'm really sad I didn't.

That homeless guy probably isn't any trouble. At least he didn't try to break into the house, he just wants to sleep under the tree lol. Just keep Sashie with you... and maybe the BB gun...

Homeschool on the Croft said...

Don't they say that possession is nine-tenths of the law ;)

I'm not sure it's possible to get sick of sunflowers ... Noooo way :) (Oh, and the little ladybug is SO cute :) )

Nellie said...

We have had nights of clouds for the longest time!

Love that ladybug on the sunflower.

That's strange about someone moving in on another's property while the owner is on vacation. I haven't heard of that around here.

xo Nellie

Julia said...

I love your sunflowers and the ladybug too. So sweet, just doing her job of checking out the petals looking for her dinner.

I feel bad for people who for some reason or others have no place to call their home on this great big planet. I hope that he's harmless and that he moves on but say a little prayer for him. Maybe you, Ron and Sasha can go over to see him together and give him some socks. I've heard that socks is one of the most needed items for the homeless as their feet get so sore from wearing no socks. Some get infected feet because of diabetes.

Just be careful, or you could call the authority and voice your concerns.
I hope that you soon will feel safe again.
Hugs,
JB

Alica said...

Home and garden junkies...I kind of like that term! :) I feel sorry for the guy too...I can't imagine what it would be like, to not have a place to call home.

Velva said...

That is sort of freaky to have someone just move under the pecan tree...

I am becoming a garden junkie myself. :-)

Velva

Renegades said...

Pretty sunflower picture. I've always wanted to stand my kids in a field of them and take pictures and have yet to do it.

Three Sheep Studio said...

I feel a sadness for the man who is homeless.
Everyone has a story to tell and often it isn't what you would think or expect.
Your flowers are lovely and I always enjoy seeing them.
Rose