Winter

Winter

Sunday, March 30, 2014

Raindrops on Roses


We had a lovely first storm. Another bigger one tomorrow. Our ground is like a sponge in that it soaked it all up. One thing I love is photographing rain water. It just makes me so happy to see it. Here are some  photos of rain on roses.


The light was perfect and the wind had died down for a little bit. The air was clean and every where every thing sparkled.


I am so glad I went out and captured these. It was early and I really didn't want to get wet, but it was worth it now that I look at them again.


I love the rain drops inside of the rose petals. Not to mention I just love the color of this rose.


I finished the lid for my box. I am so thrilled with how it turned out. I bought this pattern in 2012 from Brenda Gervais from Country Stitches. Even then I couldn't see well enough to make this. Now for the inside.


I had more fun gathering up goodies for this box. I have a few more little ideas for it but I haven't got to that yet.


I have always been intrigued with old boxes since I first saw To Kill a Mockingbird and the opening scene when there is the picture of the cigar box filled with things that had been in the tree that Jem found until Mr. Radley cemented in the knothole in the oak tree. That is where I first saw To Kill a Mockingbird.


.  I was a little girl and we were in our car at a drive in and in those days, they showed the children's feature first and my Dad would go to the snack bar and get us grape soda and pop corn. We would eat popcorn and drink our soda and  watch our movie and we were supposed to settle down and go to sleep with our pillows and blankets when the second movie came on. I never did. I still have some horrifying images in my mind from movies I wasn't supposed to see. I still have never watched The Graduate. I had some serious doubts about my parents, as they laughed and laughed. I do have fond memories of drive in movies with my parents. We would save soda bottles that we would find and turn them in and when we got enough money we got to go to the drive in. My parents must have pitched in money as we lived in the country and we didn't drink soda pop.

Oh well I hope you have a wonderful week. I can only say I am looking forward to April. I do love April. Such a glorious month.

 " The whole world is full of things, and somebody has to look for them."
---Pippi Longstocking, Astrid Lindgren, 1950

22 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

your roses are SO pretty! glad you got some good rain and more expected! the box turned out really nice, too!

Kessie said...

Now I need to watch To Kill a Mockingbird again. I haven't seen it in years. I love your box!

Miss Debbie said...

so glad you got some rain! your raindrop on roses pics are lovely!

annie said...

such pretty beauties!
love the colors!
your box is wonderful.
boo radley scared me to death when I was a kid like scout!
later on it just made me cry ever time I watched it,
haven't watched it in years, but still remember....,,,,

Jacque. said...

The instant I saw the title of this post, I started singing,

"Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens
Bright copper kettles with warm woolen mittens
Brown paper packages tied up with strings
These are a few of my favorite things"

Love the Sound of Music and Maria (Julie Andrews)!!

The photos are absolutely gorgeous, Kim! Thank you for sharing! xo

Anonymous said...

Raindrops on the rose petals looks very beautiful! The color of the roses are awesome! Lid of your box looks nice!

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

So glad you got some rain ... and I love seeing the raindrops on the rose petals. Love your finished box! And what memories of the drive-in. I didn't go to a drive-in until I was 18.

Kim said...

I don't think I've seen the movie but loved reading To Kill A Mockingbird. We had a drive-in here and our family used to go often. Your story about The Graduate is hysterical.

Alica said...

...and whiskers on kittens...
That's the first thing I thought of when I saw your post! What an absolutely, positively gorgeous rose! Glad you got some rain!

camp and cottage living said...

Your roses are beautiful, Kim.
I sure related to your movie story!
Those were the good ol days, for sure.
Lovely cross-stitch!

simply bev said...

Pippi was very wise!

Nellie said...

Beautiful pictures with the raindrops! I'm so glad you have had some rain. Is it coming at the right time? Love Pippi Longstocking, and I also loved hearing your memories of going to the drive-in! xo Nellie

Sara at Come Away With Me said...

Hello Kim. Isn't the rain a blessed gift! Your photos of raindrops on roses are lovely. We got a little rain here too, and possibly more this week. I didn't go to the drive in much as a child; there were five of us kids and the car was crowded. I do remember we went to see Ben Hur but the fog came in so everyone had to leave. We never went back later to see the end.

Julia said...

Great job on that cross stitch cover. Your roses are stunning and the leaves are so green. I can only wish that some day in the distant future I'll have some blooming roses too.
So glad that you god some much needed rain.

Enjoy it all.
Hugs,
JB

Pom Pom said...

I liked the drive-in, too. I am pretty sure I feel asleep, but we must have been like a pile of puppies all snuggled in the back of the station wagon!
Yay for raindrops on roses! GORGEOUS!

Pom Pom said...

Ha! I guess I should go FEEL asleep right now as my editing skills didn't kick in for the comment above!

jennifer768 said...

Beautiful pics of your gorgeous roses,I always enjoy rain.Thanks for sharing your memories of the drive -in. Your box came out beautifully.Blessings,Jen

Meg said...

Such a cute little box! It turned out so nice!

Thistle Cove Farm said...

Love yellow roses, although I dislike growing them, and bought a dozen for myself today. Beauty and Cheer, a great combination.

Debbie said...

Such gorgeous images today Kim, the colors of those roses are stunning!! I have an unhealthy obsession with pretty, cute boxes!!

Patrice said...

I could never sleep during a movie either! I just wanted to stop by and say hello. Pretty rose pictures. :)

Three Sheep Studio said...

Your finished stitched piece is gorgeous, Kim !
We had a mom and pop store that sold snowcones. My sister and I would walk there and gather bottles along the way to turn in for money. It was just enough for us to each have a snowcone ! Great memories ;)
Rose