Winter

Winter

Wednesday, January 1, 2014

A Good Day

I hope you had a nice first day of 2014. I did important things like freshened up my blog. changed the background. I took all of the Christmas songs off my IPod playlist. Read a book, that did nothing to improve the brain cells. I had a very nice day. I took some pictures too.

I am working on a snow man rug. the background is supposed to be blue. I kept trying to use the blue that I had and I just didn't like the color-at-all!! I would find I was mad by the third loop so I would put it down. I kept thinking about it and decided I would try and get some blue I could work with. I broke out the ole dye pot. At first, I was disappointed but then the more I petted it and looked at it the better I liked it. (Surely I am not the only one who pets wool.)


I had to take the picture out on the railing in the morning sun because it was too dark in the house. It is much prettier in person. So I think after I do a bit of reverse hooking (ripping out) I can use these pretty colors of blue. I have a whale rug that I need to finish but I never liked the blue for that either so I think I can finish it now with some of this blue.

Now while I am a slacker, my husband it not. Since he was off today, he was out in the cold bright in early. He wanted some tractor time so first he dug holes with his post hole digger on his tractor for twenty trees to be planted.


He is adding more trees to his Bonsai section of the garden area.  He will be cutting his other trees down to sticks. So the base will keep growing. I imagine screams from the trees as he walks around thinking of ways to wire them in twists and turns and then cutting them down to the ground to be about 12 inches. I never even realized the mayhem that goes on in Bonsai circles.


This was where the old chicken house was so today he hauled 26 bucket loads of manure and dirt to my garden. He finally got it down to nice dirt and I of course walked out and said, " How about a Koi pond out here?" He looked up shocked and said, " I was just thinking the same thing." Great minds and all that.
He wants to move all of his Japanese Maples out here so he could have a little garden. 


He hauled all that wonderful, good stuff out here to my garden and mixed and mixed and made it look so nice. I hurt my back earlier in the week, or I would have been raking leaves to add to this. I brought my chair out while he was working and dreamed of a new garden and what I would plant and it was a very nice way to spend the day.

I really need to get the berries all cut back and get all of the leaves raked and then my home away from home will be all ready for the New Year.

Thank you for stopping by, I need to go finish up my Calzone for dinner. I have a houseful of boys here playing board games so I thought it would be nice to feed them something.

Have a great evening,
~Kim~

17 comments:

Alica said...

I'm sure you're not a slacker! It's just nice to have some down time now and then. :) My hubby wants a bonsai tree...too bad we aren't closer and could get some hands on advice from an expert!

Nellie said...

Oh, yum! Calzone! Do those boys know how lucky they are?:-)

A Koi pond would be a wonderful addition with the Bonsai trees. That dirt looks marvelous!

xo Nellie

cards4ubylouise and other treasures said...

Oh my...all that wonderful land to grow things....you guys are blessed!!! I built a little pond last summer.......it's all covered with snow right now....but I do have something to look forward to...someone wanted to give me some gold fish for my pond...but I decided not, where would I keep them during the long hard winter???? Ummmm doesn't sound like to me you are a slacker, you sound busy!!!

Dog Trot Farm said...

You are such a great mom...you take such good care of your men, calzones sound delicious! 26 bucket loads of manure, wow...you two never stop...

Rugs and Pugs said...

Happy New Year!
LOVE your blues.
Calzones ~ YUMMO!
Hugs :)
Lauren

TexWisGirl said...

you've been together so long you think alike. :)

Meg said...

Sounds like a very nice day! A Koi pond would be so cool! And all that chicken manure will make your garden so happy this year. :)

Kessie said...

Hahaha, a koi pond! So all the local cats, herons and egrets can go fishing? I suppose goldfish are cheap. :-D

I'm glad you got to rest. We're all coming down with colds over here, so that's fun. I never thought about Bonsai being tree torture, but I suppose it sort of is. But afterwards, its such art. :-)

Debbie said...

Cleaned up farm, cleaned up blog = no slacking at all!!

Three Sheep Studio said...

Love your hand dyed wool !
I like to stack mine on the dining room table and admire it for days before I cut it !!
Hope your back feels much better soon.
Rose

camp and cottage living said...

Kim
Your blues are very pretty, they will work up very nicely!
You and hubby are greeting the new year with gusto I see,
just the way one should. By the end of next summer it will be amazing to see the changes to your garden!

Jacque. said...

ohboy, what I wouldn't give to be out there where prepping the garden was the weekend chore...instead of being here looking at all this snow. Beautiful wool! I know a lot of rug hookers who pet their wool, so you're not alone there. Hope your back feels better soon. Take another day of doing small things today. xo

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

A calzone? Yum! I need to make one for us one of these days. I've got a beef roast in the crock pot for dinner tonight - skimpy on the carrots unfortunately because the carrots I thought were still good weren't. :-( I hope your back feels better SOON. DH is out playing with his Christmas gift ... a snow blower. We got a couple of inches of snow overnight, and now he gets to play with his new toy. ;-) I can't help, so I will get caught up on blog reading and then quilt. Have a great day.

Julia said...

Oh my, I'm such a slacker, I haven't cleaned up my blog in ions. Do you every stop to sleep, lol. I can't wait to see all these new dreams to come true. A Koi pond and martyred trees turning into Bonsais. It's so strange watching your soil being dug and manure added. We are buried in lots of snow and shivering in the cold.

Wishing quick healing of your hurting back.

Happy New year Kim.
Hugs,
JB

Julia said...

And.... I love that blue too.
JB

Kim said...

There are no slackers at your place. It sounds like you have great plans. Can't wait to see everything evolve. We are awaiting more winter here. Blahhhh

From Beyond My Kitchen Window said...

I think the Koi pond is a wonderful idea. Watching fish is supposed to be very relaxing. We are in the midst of a nor'easter. School was cancelled today and tomorrow. SNOW, SNOW and more SNOW. I have loved using all my treats I received in the mail. The lip balm is the best I have ever used. Thank you again for you kindness.