Winter

Winter

Friday, November 1, 2013

November


We have two cold fronts coming down from Alaska and all I can stay to myself is " Whew!! finally, I can feel like a human again." In November, the cold is a novelty, I am looking forward to the singing of the tea kettle on the wood stove, of the kids coming in and making tea and hot chocolate.   I enjoy baking and cooking when the weather is dark and dreary. I love to watch the flames in the wood stove and see the dance of the fire. It is November so it is time to sit and read Gladys Taber. For November she says:

"Every type of wood has a special way of burning. Chestnut is slow and firm and has a happy faculty of "holding over" so breakfast toast can be made on the long wrought iron fork. Maple is a good wood to burn. Apple wood smells the sweetest and is my favorite; the ghost of apple blossoms lingers in the old gnarled logs."


Only Gladys Tabor can write of burning wood a bit of art. Her words fill me with such delight. November will be a very nice month. Lots of expectations. I find that my mind is on my daughter, and the soon coming of her new baby girl. I am so glad that God brings blessings out of sorrow. When I think of my heavy heart last year at this time and to see how God has changed things 180 degrees, I wonder why do I ever worry.

So this November, I will enjoy the cold, and the rain, and the fog and the gray skies. The time will change and that is the hard part, last night I when I was ready for bed I thought to myself, next week at this time it will be only eight O'clock.  Oh well more time to sit in front of the fire and watch the flames and sew.

I am so thankful today, Have a lovely weekend.

~Kim~

18 comments:

Gail said...

Wonderful photos.

Fall is here.

TexWisGirl said...

(i am so glad i don't like to cook or bake when it is cool or otherwise. i'd weigh 400 lbs!) :)

Kessie said...

Yesterday I bought a big jug of apple cider so we can drink hot cider on these cold mornings. It's been in the 40s at night! Shock! This is also the start of hubby's 3 day weekend and I'm in full-blown vacation mode.

Miss Debbie said...

You would be happy here today, too...dark,dreary and rainy! I am grateful for the rain and an excuse to curl up and watch a movie! :-)

Julia said...

It's dark and dreary here today too as it's raining all over our province but instead of cooking and baking, I went to town to pick up new pair rubber work boots with steel toes and manure resistant. So much for my fancy high fashion boots but I'm very happy. My feet will stay dry and warm and I won't have to be so careful that I don't splash water on my boots and get my feet wet. lol...

Enjoy your cool Fall weather with wood in the stove and a hot drink.

Have a wonderful weekend.
Hugs,
JB

Nellie said...

I am not a fan of daylight savings time, so I welcome the return to standard time. The mornings are really dark here, and I suppose I'm a bit of a "morning person.":-) Enjoy your week-end, Kim! xo Nellie

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

I really wish the time wouldn't change at all. Have a great weekend Kim!

Debbie said...

I hadn't heard we have cold fronts coming...YAY!! It is 84 here today and downright hot, lol. Not fun shopping for Christmas flannel when it's hot! Enjoy your week-end Kim!

Kim said...

It's about as wet, windy and dreary as it can get here. I am under a blanket wishing I was sitting by a wood stove. And the wind storm took all the leaves

Alica said...

I remember having a cozy woodstove to curl up next to when I was a teenager. We couldn't watch the flames, but hearing the wood pop and smelling the smoke are good memories! Have a great weekend!

aspiritofsimplicity said...

I love the changing of the clocks. I find it comforting when it gets dark earlier and all are home with low lights burning.

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

Ooh, I like your perspective on the time change ... I find myself grousing about how it gets dark so early ... I need to think that I will have more time to sit and stitch. ;-) As always, gorgeous photos! And did I know that you're going to be a grandma again - or did I just forget? The brain is like a sieve.

GretchenJoanna said...

The Mist and All
by Dixie Wilson

I like the fall,
The mist and all.
I like the night owl's
Lonely call--
And wailing sound
Of wind around.

I like the gray
November day,
And bare, dead boughs
That coldly sway
Against my pane.
I like the rain.

I like to sit
And laugh at it--
And tend my cozy fire a bit.
I like the fall--
The mist and all.

NanaNor's said...

Hi Kim, I believe your writing is as filled with poetry and beauty as Gladys. I've got her book on my Christmas list; I do love coming by and reading your words. Sending big harvest hugs to you today.
Noreen

Pom Pom said...

Aw, I LOVE the fire. I even settle for candles if we don't have a fire. Oh, our house was SO cold when we got home. I put on a big fat sweater! Now, I'll change for Birdie's soccer game, but we are definitely experiencing November.
I'm so glad that fall has come to your farm, Kim.

Sue said...

I am a Gladys Taber fan too, Kim, she always had a way of bringing her reader right where she was sitting,and making them feel so welcomed just like you do. I too like to bake when it is gray and raining! Your home sounds so warm and inviting, I will be praying for your daughter!
hugs,
Sue

Susan Kane said...

The scent of fireplace wood burning and finding my sweater from the depth of my closet--tells me that summer is finally over.

Three Sheep Studio said...

Warm apple cider, sweatshirts, sneakers, soups, stews and yes those wonderful baked goods ! Time to embrace Autumn.
Rose