Winter

Winter

Friday, November 29, 2013

Fun Day


I hope everyone had a very nice day filled with food and family and much laughter. Our day was next to perfect. If my oldest daughter and her family and the new baby had been here then it would have been perfect. It was cloudy and just a great day for Thanksgiving. We smoked the turkey all day. We used a dry rub for the first time after we put it in brine all night on Wednesday. We just stuffed it with butter, apple and onion. We put it right on the grill in the smoker and it will go down as the best turkey we have ever had.

Ron was cutting the turkey, and all of these helpful people were eating as he cut it off the turkey, I thought it was so funny because they were not waiting and sometimes even took it off the turkey.

We had such a good time at dinner, lots of food and lots of stories and lots of laughter. The kids were at their own little table.


Even Munchie is big enough to sit at the table this year. They told me that they liked my dinner rolls very much. We had a friend of Nik's here too for dinner and his wife. She goes by the name Cat. But Munchie who is just learning to talk, would call her Meow. It was the cutest thing you ever heard. You know how with babies you say, " What does the kitty say?" Well when he heard her name, he said Meow? So it stuck.

We had chicken move in day. They did really well and have taken to it very fast, even the new nest boxes and the new roost.

Sasha is very happy because she can lay down here and watch chickens again. She is sleeping better after having a job to do.

On Wednesday night, Ron got some wire and started making a tree. In styling his Bonsai trees he was having a hard time seeing the trees in his mind. He thought if he sculpted one out of wire it would help his mind. So while we sat in the living room sitting around talking. We would watch him as he worked on this tree. The photo doesn't do it justice. It is beautiful and the movement in the limbs and trunk is incredible.

This just came out of his brain. We were just mesmerized by it. If it wasn't black Friday I would be out finding him wire and cutters and all kinds of things to make more. I know I am biased but my husband never ceases to amaze me.


My youngest son sent me a cartoon the other day. It is two pictures, one of Buddy the Elf being so excited that Christmas is coming. The other is Theoden standing on the parapet at the Battle of Helm's deep, looking down he says, " Now it begins."
Well people are in two camps, you are either like Buddy or Theoden. I admit to falling in the Theoden camp. I have laughed and laughed about it. So there is no way I would venture out on Black Friday. I do hope those people who set up tents a week ago in front of Best Buy, got whatever they were waiting for last night.

So have a wonderful day. I may just stay in my pajamas and get a fire going and put my feet up. Ron just came in and said that it is raining. What a great day.

I hope you have one too.

~Kim~

18 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

oh my gosh, kim - what your husband can do with wire is amazing! i think he should sell those trees on etzy or wherever! that's the kind of bonzai i could keep forever!!!

glad the chickens got moved in and are settling! and glad you had a great day. like your turkey thieves. :)

TexWisGirl said...

and i'm serious. i think i need one of his trees...

Kim said...

I agree. That is the most beautiful thing AND the only type of bonsai I couldn't kill. Really, he should sell those.
OK, Meow might be the most adorable thing I have heard in a long time. LOL
I confess, that when I am alone in the pantry cutting up the turkey a "few" pieces "accidentally" end up in my mouth too.

Beth said...

Beautiful jewelry that your husband fashioned.

Christine said...

What a fun fun day! Thanks for letting me join in too! I think picking at the turkey makes it all the more tasty!
But WOW!!! Ron's wire tree is amazing and he definitely needs to sell them!
Love the children too! So precious! I am going to compare it with last year's one.
God bless - enjoy the rainy day!

Julia said...

Your husband is multi talented. I too think that he should sell his trees. He might have just started a new hobby. It looks amazing.

I'm so glad that you had an almost perfect Thanksgiving. The turkey sounds yummy. I've never smoked a turkey. I just roast ours.

I'm like you about Black Friday. It migrated to Canada and I would never venture out to shop on that day. I hate crowded malls.

Have a great day and thanks for the birthday wishes.

Take car , I'm off to work at the farm.
Hugs,
JB

Nellie said...

It sounds like the perfect Thanksgiving Day, Kim! My goodness! I have a hard time considering camping out in front of ANY store for what some consider a bargain!

The chickens look very content and happy! Great job!

The tree is amazing! Your husband definitely has a talent.

xo Nellie

Sara at Come Away With Me said...

Hello Kim. We are enjoying a slow rainy day here too. It's really wonderful. And the leaves on the trees all seemed to turn last week so things are looking very autumnal outside. Just a few of the many things to be grateful for. Have a good weekend!

Thistle Cove Farm said...

those little chappies are so dang AAAdorable! glad you had a great Thanksgiving and the food was good...wonderful memories, to be sure!

annie said...

wow, that's a great crowd of hungry people, weren't you the one who worried about the meal, hmmmm, maybe not? your husband does seem an artist, I'd love a tiny one about 1 1/2" tall to wear on a necklace. he made it look like it had movement and life, I love it.
ditto, on the babies in their new home with watchful sentry, sounds like a great holiday all around!

Jacque. said...

A perfect holiday! Good food, good company. Love the wire tree. xo

Meg said...

Wow, it looks even more beautiful on the piece of wood. It's just gorgeous.

I had such a wonderful time last night. It was so peaceful and relaxing and just so much fun. :) And the turkey was amazing!

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

I'm so, so glad that all is so well in your world right now ... that feeling of contentment is just such a blessing from God. Have a wonderful weekend!

Empty Nester said...

I'm so glad y'all had such a wonderful day! Ours was nice enough. SonInLawIntended's parents came and we spent the day laughing and telling stories about the engaged couple. I did miss Birdie and Breezy though. No matter how much fun I'm having, something is not quite right when even one is missing. I am so impressed with that wire tree! Wow! Talent truly does run through your entire family!

Denise said...

Hi Kim I am glad you all had a happy Thanksgiving.
Meow.. that is really cute.
Your husband's tree is beautiful I think it is something I would buy for sure. I have killed so many bonsai trees over the years until I realized they are outside trees but I have moved so often I have never tried them outside. I would however like to try one of those lovely wire trees. He did a great job. Thank you for sharing.
oh I too had a new grandbaby arrive this week. So much to be thankful for! Have a great Sabbath.
Denise

Debbie said...

Oh Kim everything about your day sounds just wonderful,..we usually have people standing around sampling as the turkey is cut too, haha. The bonsai tree is wonderful!! love it...your right, SUCH talent! Glad the chickens got moved into their wonderful new home! Enjoy the rest of your holiday week-end.....No black Friday shopping for me either, lol

Debbie said...

a home filled with smiles and love!! it just doesn't get any better!!

GretchenJoanna said...

It's taken me a while to catch up and get a glimpse of your Thanksgiving Day, but I'm glad I did. The wire bonsai is lovely - I hope he makes more and more. They at least take less time than a living green bonsai!