Winter

Winter

Tuesday, November 12, 2013

A Few More Photos

I was cleaning house yesterday and I had to just stop and go outside to take a picture of this tallow tree. I just stand and stare out the window at it during the day. I thought I would share a few more photos of our trip.


This is my favorite kind of Bonsai. I like the kind that look like a tiny little forest. On our first trip to the Bonsai nursery that we went to at the beach. George the man who owns it told us that the pot that tree is in is sometimes worth more than the trees. He showed us some antique pots like this one that came from the Emperors private collection. He said, " He never knew how it got out of Japan but he always goes to yard sales and has found some that way." They will be marked on the bottom with Japanese characters. So if you are ever at a yard sale and see pots like these, you might find a jewel in disguise.


This is another multi trunk tree that I like.  There are some species that have the cork bark. Cork oak and cork elm. The cork oak is what corks are made out of. The harvesting of the bark doesn't hurt the tree. Ron and I both love the cork bark trees so we are trying to get the different kinds of species of trees. There is one more but I can't remember the name.

On Saturday, we had to check out of the room. The boys were not finished so we had hours to do something else. Years ago when we visited Disneyland and stayed at the Disneyland Hotel, there was these trees with thorns on the trunks. One of the things I wanted to do was to take pictures of them  We walked down to Downtown Disney. We went hunting for the trees and they are even more massive now than when I saw them years ago.

They look like rose thorns. If there is anyone out there that knows the name I would love to know. I think they are just amazing trees.

If you look close at this trunk you can see how the thorns go all the way up the trunk. I noticed in Downtown Disney that they have them planted in the flowerbeds so they must be fairly common. As we walked we came to the Christmas tree that was decorated. That was about all of the only Christmas things I saw and because it is November and it has got here so fast I was just a little shocked and had to stand there and think, "Christmas is almost here."

I wish I could have seen them decorating it. They were building something around it. I am sure it will be really pretty when it is all finished.

It was so nice to get home. After being down there and all of the people, I do love the peace and quiet. Sometimes I get ungrateful for all of the work I have to do to live here and all I have to clean and clean. It was so nice though to come home and see all that I take for granted. To feel so thankful for the room I have.
I realize how very good God has been to us.

I am so thankful to be able to look out my front windows and to be able to see the sunrise. Then in the evenings to watch the sunset. It is the simple things that always bring me home.

Have a lovely Tuesday,
~Kim~

14 comments:

Debbie said...

that christmas tree is gorgeous!! we will be seeing so many of them in the coming weeks!!

TexWisGirl said...

your view is gorgeous. i'd hate to impale myself on one of those thorny trees. :)

Christine said...

I agree with you Kim - I'd rather live in the countryside and see those views! Just beautiful!

Nellie said...

Lovely views, Kim. I have found that a trip away really helps me appreciate home more when I return. xo Nellie

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

Wonderful sightseeing tour- that tree is crazy! I don't think I have ever seen one before.

Maryann said...

The photo of the sunrise is beautiful Kim

Julia said...

You peak my curiosity and I looked it up on line and the thorny tree is called Chorisa Speciosa. It has gorgeous blooms.

The bonsai trees must take lot of tender loving care. I like the forest look too.

Your sunset picture is amazing. It's nice to get away if only to make us appreciate our home. I feel the same way. That's why we call it Home Sweet Home.

Have a nice week.
Hugs,
JB

Kessie said...

Oh wow, now I'll have to look up those thorny trees. They look downright prehistoric! I also love all the Bonsai trees. I hope you keep posting pics from your trip. :-)

camp and cottage living said...

Kim
I feel the same way about home. No matter how good of a time I have away, there's still no place like home!
Thorn tree-maybe Kapok Thorn tree..

Rugs and Pugs said...

No matter how much fun it is to get away, it's always good to get home again, and the older I get, the more I feel that way.
That thorny trunk is neat.
Hugs :)
Lauren

Three Sheep Studio said...

Longwood Gardens in Pennsylvania has the most amazing collection of Bonsai. Just beautiful.
Being home is a priceless comfort !
Rose

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

That sunrise is beautiful ... how good God is to give us such beautiful sights. I'm interested to know what kind of tree that is too. It is so easy to get caught up in our everyday responsibilities and start to feel burdened and resentful ... maintaining an attitude of gratitude is an ongoing work. At least for me. ;-)

Pom Pom said...

Hi Kim! The last photo is fantastic. It captures the serenity of My Field of Dreams. I hope you are all recovered from your fun weekend and enjoying this sweet November day. Sending heaps of love your way!

Kim said...

I love those kind of bonsai trees too. I think I told you I had one and killed it. I bet Ron was in heaven with all the nursery trees.