Winter

Winter

Friday, March 28, 2014

Dreaming in the Attic


One of the many things that has been given back to me, has been my joy of stitching.  It has been such a huge blessing to be able to sit in the afternoon and stitch with the afternoon sun streaming in through the windows. This week, I worked on a counted cross stitch that has a little story going on in my head as I sew.
I have this Norman Rockwell plated that I bought in the 80s. It is called Reminiscing in the Quiet.

As I stitch, I think of this lady sitting by her humpbacked trunk dreaming of days gone by. There in her hands are maybe old letters or old stitchery projects.


When I was stitching before my eye surgery. I was always racing and I could never settle down to enjoy the work of my hands. Now I know because, I knew that this might be my last project before I finally couldn't see anymore. As the ability to see was going I started spending more and more time with my seam ripper. Even, I admit to throwing away things in the bottom of the trash can so no one would see how bad it had become. I finally had to put away the needle and the thread and the patterns. I started sewing with my Mom doing hand work when I was four years old. All of those things that were dear to me, even reading books or looking at the sky or seeing colors. The hardest was not seeing the faces of those I loved. But now...

Here is what I have been working on and I have loved every single minute of it. It is going to be for a lid to an old sewing box like you might find in an attic. I have all of these things that I want to put in it like old thimbles and needle books and I have a old Sunday school memory verse pin that was my Moms. Things you might find if you lifted the lid of the old trunk that you came upon in an attic up under the eves in the quiet. Old samplers and bundles of letters tied up with string.  The smell of wood ruff  or lavender or maybe dried roses pressed in a book of poems. Maybe even a loved doll with shoe button eyes, now faded but dearly loved.


  I made a mistake when I started the house. The house is supposed to be mulberry. I couldn't read anymore the little charts.  I decided to keep it as a reminder to myself, of the gift I now have and to be able to see the charts again.

It is so nice to not have that bit of panic I was living with all of the time. It is so nice to be able to be at peace.


After my eye surgery, I was so afraid of this bird. I had tried to make it before the surgery and I had finally given up and threw the whole thing away. So when I started it again, I was so scared. When I finished it I just sat and stared at it because I had accomplished something I never thought I would do again.

I hope to finish up Mrs. Rabbit this weekend. You know if I don't end up staying outside working in the garden and working in the flowerbeds. We have some glorious storms in the forecast so the first part of April might be what April is supposed to be, bringing May flowers.



 Can you see the kitty cat foot? I didn't notice that until I posted the picture. This bunny has a story but I have to think of it a bit more. I love hearing the stories that are going on in my mind as I sew and hook.
All I can say, is it a so good to be back. Every day is such a gift that I am so thankful for and hope I never forget what it was like to wander in darkness.
Have a fantastic Friday and I hope this weekend if filled with lots of spring weather.

~Kim~

" Lord, give me eyes
That I may see
Lest I, as people will,
Should pass someone's Calvary
and think it just a hill."
---Unknown---

21 comments:

Kim said...

I am so happy you are stitching again. My Mom collected a lot of those Rockwell plates. Now I am wondering if she had that one. Someday I will look through them all. The Mrs. Rabbit rug looks wonderful. I always love a dark background.
PS - stop wishing for storms! Lol

TexWisGirl said...

i love your joy in being able to cross-stitch again. big smile at the kitty cat foot. :)

Christine said...

I'm so happy you are back to stitching again! I love the house and crow and Mrs Rabbit is really lovely,
Have a wonderful weekend!

Beth said...

I always smile when reading your posts. It makes me happy to read of the pleasure you are finding now in just being alive!

Nellie said...

Yes I see that kitty cat! They do delight in surprising us, don't they? I love that bunny! I do not have the patience for this kind of stitchery! I congratulate you for doing this! xo Nellie

Alica said...

You do such beautiful stitching, Kim! I think of you whenever I see the little miniature pillow you stitched and sent to me. It's hanging by my kitchen sink!

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

I wish I could stay still long enough to stitch..but I am just too antsy. I'm glad your sight is better- your Mrs Rabbit is gorgeous!

Susan Kane said...

Such an art. Your work is so fine.

Julia said...

It's such a blessing to have your gift of sight again and keep being grateful. We all need a reminder to be grateful...

Mrs Rabbit is lovely and so is your.
Hugs,
JB.

Kessie said...

I'm so glad you can accomplish all these things now that you can see! If you're thinking of stories all the time, write them down! I have four grandbabies who would love some stories from Grandma.

Meg said...

I am so, so glad you get to do everything you have been missing out on! I think your house looks nice the way it is. :) I can't wait for this weekend, I hope it dumps rain!

Willow said...

Kim you are doing a wonderful job with these ~ beautiful !

Debbie said...

You make beautiful things Kim, I always enjoy seeing your needle work!!

Have a wonderful weekend!!

Gumbo Lily said...

Cross stitch is so fussy and difficult (to me) and it's amazing that you're back at it in full force! Beautiful work, Kim. I really love the verse at the bottom of the post. I'm copying that one into my book of favorites. Thank you.

camp and cottage living said...

Kim
I'm so happy you are able to do the things you love again!
It must have been very frightening to be losing your site.

Three Sheep Studio said...

I love your counted cross stitch piece.
The afternoon sunlight streaming in the windows, while you stitch, is a comforting feeling. One of my favorite ;)
Love the tender green shoot at the end of your post. Spring really has arrived.
Rose

Miss Debbie said...

Glad you are enjoying stitching again! Hope you have a blessed weekend!

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

I suspect you know how tickled I am that you are stitching again! Your joy brings such a smile to my heart!

Magia da Inês said...

°º♫♬° ·.
Passei para uma visita.
Eu também amo bordados. Seus bordados estão lindos.
Agora, com os olhos já recuperados, tenho certeza que fará trabalhos ainda mais lindos.

░B░O░M

░D░O░M░I░N░G░O !!!
✿⊱°•
Beijinhos.
Brasil.
。♪♫♫°•.¸

Janettessage.blogspot.com said...

Your work is beautiful..your testimony just encourages my heart and reminds me what a loving God we serve. How faithful He is. I am still rejoicing with you and your words just shout gratefulness to the one you serve.

Peggy said...

What a wonderful story! It certainly makes me appreciative as well. How blessed we are!!! I love you Mrs. Rabbit. Is the pattern available?