Winter

Winter

Sunday, January 1, 2023

Hello 2023


 I just wanted to stop by this sadly, neglected blog and wish all of you a Happy New Year! One filled with blessings and wonderful days. 

We have had lots of rain. My favorite quote by John Steinbeck,"

" I have spoken of the rich years when the rainfall was plentiful. But there were dry years too, and they put terror on the valley. The water came in thirty-year cycle. There would be five or six wet and wonderful years when there might be nineteen to twenty-five inches of rain, and the land would shout with grass. Then would come six or seven pretty good years of twelve to sixteen inches of rain. And then the dry years would come, and sometimes there would be only seven or eight inches of rain. The land dried up and the grasses headed out miserably a few inches high and great bare scabby places appeared in the valley. People would have to haul water in barrels to their farms for drinking. Some families would sell out for nearly nothing and move away. And it never failed that during the dry years the people forgot about the rich years and during the wet years they lost all memory of the dry years. It was always that way."

So it looks like we might have a tiny wet year this year. I am not making any plans. That is a first time for me, ever. I just want to enjoy each day for itself, and look neither ahead nor behind, but accept what each day brings and how I can see the silver lining in each dark cloud. 


 I will be back soon. I just wanted to wish you all a wonderful start to 2023. 

~Kim~


" Lord, give to me a quiet heart

That does not ask to understand,

But confident steps forward in

The darkness guided by Thy hand."

 

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding;

in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

8 comments:

Julia said...

HAPPY NEW YEAR, dear Kim. I know how you feel about neglecting your blog. I'm guilty of the same. There never seem to be many interesting things happening in my life but when I look on the positive side of things, it's the little things that count.

I don't make resolutions anymore but instead, I'll strive to pay attention to the little blessings that every day brings, and like you, attempt to live one day at a time.
Hugs and blessings for 2023.
Julia

Saundra said...

Sun setting in the west, what a beautiful sunset. Like Julia I don't make resolutions any longer either as I'd usually disappoint myself by not following through. So I just try to do my best each day. Blessing for a healthy 2023.

acorn hollow said...

Happy new year! Great quote human nature is like that I think to forget what came before.
It is good to take each day as it comes.
Cathy

Rugs and Pugs said...

Happy New Year, Kim. Always a pleasure to see a post from you.
So happy you are getting some rain. I never knew why you were called the Golden State until I was there one year and it was, well, all golden brown.
xoxo
Lauren

Bonnie K said...

Nothing better than a nice rain. Unfortunately, we have several months before that will happen. Happy New Year!

Gretchen Joanna said...

It's great to hear from you -- and to know that you have had some rain, too! Here, it fell while I was out of state, and I came home to lots of standing water in boxes and buckets I hadn't turned upside down before I left. Including, ugh, a bucket of ashes that is now cinder soup!

Happy New Year, Kim!

Kessie said...

If you got nothing else to blog about, tell us about what books you're reading! I'm having fun just reviewing the oddball stuff I've been reading when I don't have much else to say.

Pom Pom said...

Maybe you should get some Wellie boots and splash around in the welcome rain! Yay!