Winter

Winter

Monday, January 9, 2023

Rainy Days


 This is a picture from a different year and not this one. This year, we only have brief glimpses of blue skies. Not that I am complaining mind you. Its just rain every day is so different. If you watch the news or You Tube you can see how Northern California is having record amounts of rain. Here hasn't been too bad. 

 

Last week was pretty exciting wasn't it? It took fifteen votes to get a new speaker of the house. I just enjoyed it so much. Being sort of a history buff, my mind went back to the time Aaron Burr wanted to be President and tried to go around Thomas Jefferson. I always find it amusing that there are times when Bakersfield is in the news. When Chief Justice Warren, was in charge of the Warren Commission.
He was from Bakersfield and his Dad was murdered here and it is still an unsolved crime. Now we have Kevin as speaker. While I can say, I am not wild about his politics. He was a nice kid and he had the greatest parents in the world. I am glad that the 20 seem to have won out if what they got in way of concession is true. So I am trying to be really careful here so I will stop, but I have become pretty jaded.
 
My daughter thought it might be fun if I said what books I was reading right now. Well, it fills me with fear. I will list them. It will tell a lot about me I am afraid. For Christmas I got the Two volume set called, One Nation Under Blackmail, by Whitney Webb
The Devils Chessboard by David Talbot
Poisoner in Chief. by Stephen Kinzer. 
I do read fun stuff too. Like Christy and Julie by Catherine Marshall. Those are my favorites every January. Then what ever shows up in my Kindle. I have read some really odd books. I love books that are written by local people that tell stories from their area of the U.S. 

I am working on a large rug  I drew out when I first started hooking. Since at the time I only knew of Polly Minick it was a pattern she offered. That is how long I have had this rug. Its a chicken rug of course. When I get some more hooked on it I will post pictures. We bought a travel trailer and I want to make a rug for that. 

I finished my rug from Cammie Bruce, I Love My Black Dog.
 

It was hard and still is because I really miss my black dog. I have never been this long without a dog in my whole life. I just don't know if I can do it again. I keep hoping it will change, but I am still on the fence about it. 

So if you are still here. Thank you for stopping by. I am sorry I haven't been about to blog or visit. I am having computer issues and that I even made it today to blog. Maybe I should just break down and get a new computer but then it would mean learning even more things. Trying to get my pictures out of the cloud now is time consuming. 

Have a great week.

~Kim~

“Evil is real - and powerful. It has to be fought, not explained away, not fled. And God is against evil all the way. So each of us has to decide where WE stand, how we're going to live OUR lives. We can try to persuade ourselves that evil doesn't exist; live for ourselves and wink at evil. We can say that it isn't so bad after all, maybe even try to call it fun by clothing it in silks and velvets. We can compromise with it, keep quiet about it and say it's none of our business. Or we can work on God's side, listen for His orders on strategy against the evil, no matter how horrible it is, and know that He can transform it.”
― Catherine Marshall, Christy




 
 
 


11 comments:

acorn hollow said...

I read Mrs Hamilton and learned more about that time than I knew. I am not a history buff that was enjoyable. After the first few votes I gave up I have no idea about anything. Until we can come to some kind of consensus there is not going to be much done. I am just tired of it all.
I love your rug. WE lost our dog many years ago and thought we would get another, but one thing led to another, and it didn't happen now we are not inclined to get one when I hear the prices of vets now.
So glad to see you post

Cathy

Saundra said...

Nice to read your post..I've been watching about the rain in Northern CA and it must be scary. Even when I lived there and it rained it was always scary because the rain on the very dry earth makes it shift and then the earth quakes or landslides.
Oh the Warren Commission Report ~ Remember well the assassination of RFK in TX and purchased the Report. Now it is know that was a farce and real truth wasn't put out then.
What a sweet rug you hooked in memory of your bestie black dog. After losing my last precious boy I didn't get another. The love was wonderful but the heartache of loss was more than I can handle again; I've gone thru enough heartache.

TheCrankyCrow said...

Ahh...I should have known that I would find a refreshing (and common) point of view with you. I started out a bit ambivalent about the speaker votes...but the more I thought about it, and the more it dragged on, the more I came to believe that it was a good thing. If the idea was that everyone should just "fall in line" and vote for the "chosen one," then why have the process and show? And perhaps the 20 couldn't ultimately sway a majority, if (and I use that "if" as hesitantly as I think you do) they achieved some laudable concessions, that is worthwhile. The process also demonstrated that even the smallest in number of us can have a voice and make a difference. I have my reservations to about McCarthy but, as we know, bigger things are still in play. I LOVE your black dog rug! You did an amazing job on it. As for the missing your bestie part - you know I know your pain all too well. Some have said I should get another dog but I won't. My "overbonding" issue and inability to say goodbye just is too much. It was one of the reasons I had told my son he couldn't bring Mason home. Perhaps the loneliness and emptiness, in the end, is equal to the pain of the loss, but at least it is spread over time and doesn't overwhelm you all at once. Stay safe in the rain....That second photo of the gray skies with the tree is incredible...Looks like something from a perfect Halloween. ~Robin~

Gretchen Joanna said...

Having computer issues, I hope, gives you more time to read, which you seem to be doing!!

I'm so happy you have been getting rain there, too. I was able to go to all the stores I wanted today, in spite of there being flooding of some streets not far beyond that neighborhood. Today was a little break, but it seems the rain is coming back tonight and will be continuing for a week! This is what we wanted, right? Well, I could do without the wind...

Rugs and Pugs said...

I have mixed feelings about our new speaker. Sadly there are very few politicians we can trust.
I love your black dog rug. Cammie has the best patterns.
It is so hard to lose a furkid, but I hope the time will eventually be right to open your home and heart to another. You will never forget and it will still hurt, but a new furkid will help heal your heart.
I'm sure the weather in northern California is quite frightening, but I hope it will help the drought situation in the long term.
Looking forward to seeing your chicken rug!

Kessie said...

It's sure been a circus, hasn't it? I have too much on my plate to follow politics too closely--I'm doing good if I get more than four hours of sleep a night, haha! I'm reading the Lantern Bearers by Rosemary Sutcliff and it's kind of a beating. But Ambrosius! It's all that's keeping me going. I'm almost done reading the kids Return of the King, and LOTR is kind of it's own beating. But we cast the ring into the Fire today, so we're almost there.

Julia said...

Your rug is a beautiful tribute to your black dog. After my last dog and cat, I decided not to get any more. Too many tears... I get so attached to them and it hurts too much when I have to let them go.

I've been reading too but only when I go to bed. I read a few pages and my eyes get so heavy and I then sleep like a baby.

I hope that you are spared bad weather where you are. I heard of all the rain and flooding in North California.

Take care, Hugs.
Julia

Kerin said...

Love reading your posts, and seeing your pictures.
Politics~smallitics :)
I'm pretty much over all the goobers always trying to line their own pockets.
~
Love how the rug turned out! You always do such beautiful work!
Your new chicken sisters rug is going to be adorable in your RV!!

As for pups....well, you know how losing Rowd was a heartbreaker for me (still is), but these new boys add so much life and laughter around here, and frankly, I'm happy that they have a happy forever home here. We are so good to our four-legged friends and these two deserve a loving and happy home. It's good all around. :)

{{hugs}}
~K.

Donna said...

I lost "friends" when they found out I was a Republican...here on my blog. It's sad that some can't see the person you are instead of how you vote.
What's not to like about being free? Oh well...
And Iwe lost our beloved furrbabies back a long while ago...and had I decided to never again adopt or rescue, there's no telling what would have become of our new loves, Buddy and Libby...I can't imagime our life without them...
Love the rug!
hugs
Donna

Pom Pom said...

You are a good reader - you read a lot of different stuff!
I'm glad your weather is different this year! I bet your flowers and veg will be different, too!
xo

Sue said...

So nice to catch up with you, Kim, I too am having computer problems and problems with blogger!
Catherine Marshall was a great author, and inspired many people.
I enjoyed the history of some of the men in Bakersfield, I wasn't crazy about Kevin McCarthy at first, but so far he seems to be sticking by his promises! Actually there are not to many politicians I like, they all seem to be for themselves, (sorry for my rant)
Have a great day, .Blessings,
Sue