Winter

Winter

Sunday, July 7, 2019

Summer Days


I just wanted to send you a greeting of the rock and roll capitol. On July 4th we had a 6.4 earthquake. The largest I have ever been in before. Then on the next day, we had a 7.1 Again, bigger than anything I have been in my life. Ron and I were out in the garden with the second big one hit. So surreal sitting in the pasture watching the peaceful evening as the sun sets, and then to suddenly be aware of being very dizzy, and realize that the ground is moving and so is all of the trees. Ron jumped up to go see the swimming pool, and all of its tidal waves, I ran in the house to make sure that all of this canning I have been storing like a chipmunk was okay.


All of it is on the floor in the pantry. Its going to stay there for awhile I think. My earthquake tracker says we are having earthquakes about every minute still. Small they maybe be but every four hours will be a 4 or larger and when there is a five we feel it here. We are 122 miles from the epicenter.
My house looks sad with everything down and put away. I was surprised nothing fell when we had the 7.1

Yesterday, Ron got the cars filled with gas. The propane tanks filled with propane and all of the other things they tell you to do in case of an emergency. I did mental checklists all day. I think we can survive a few months now just in case. My brother has a water well next door, I am sure we could figure out how to get it to run on a generator if we had to. So much stuff to think of, but I forgot the garden, and today I had to pick it. Here is goes:

Potatoes-russet and red

cucumbers and cantaloupe and some giant zucchini

Some more zucchini, dill, and a Tigger Melon

I can't wait to taste that.

My Chamomile, I need to harvest its flowers for tea.


Peter came home and he wants pesto. Bell Peppers

Some of my tomatoes.
I can tell you the thought of canning right now strikes fear into my heart. There is a 3 percent chance we can have a bigger earthquake than 7.1 and the thought of doing all of this work and having it broken really does make me sad. It will be time to break out my pressure canner. I am thinking I will start making vegetable soup.

Now for the outside pictures of this beautiful garden we have this year. I have taken so many pictures but I haven't wrote that many blogs.




Growing everything on these cattle panels has been so incredible. I am really enjoying this vertical gardening. The banana squash has taken over and has grown up one side and down the other. Its so easy to keep track of how things are growing and I think it has kept the squash beetles at bay. That and food grade sulfur. It has even kept the white flies from destroying my garden this year. I have lost so many gardens in the past to those pests. I was about to just give up. I am so glad we gave it one more try.

Even my pumpkins love growing up the cattle panels.

So this is today. July so far has been interesting. Keep those poor people in Ridgecrest which is at the epicenter of this in your prayers. I know how tired I was last night, I just can't imagine how exhausted they are because they are having constant earthquakes.

This is how many earthquakes it has been in the last few days.

Have a wonderful day,
~Kim~


 "If it could be like this always---always summer, always alone, the fruit always ripe..."
---Evelyn Waugh

15 comments:

Julia said...

Oh my goodness, Kim, I had no idea that the earthquake affected your area. I'm so glad to hear from you. I've been worried about Cheri from Back to Larkside. I haven't seen any post from her for at least 3 months. I thought that she would be closer to the epicentre.
I hope that they are okey.

You have been busy preserving and your gardens look very productive.
I've been on my knees weeding but the humidity has been so bad that I get tired very fast.


I have been praying every night for those who have been affected by earthquakes, floods, fires, tornadoes and natural disasters. I hope that the quakes stops soon. That is a lot of tremors and earthquakes.
Stay safe. Hugs, Julia

Rugs and Pugs said...

Oh dear. That is way too much excitement!!! So happy you are safe and with no damage. I'll keep you in my prayers.
Your harvest from the garden is amazing! Oh, to have garden fresh tomatoes ❤️
Please keep us up to date on what is happening.
Big hugs.

Mary said...

You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers Kim, as are all in your area of California right now. Stay safe - sounds like you have prepared well in case the forces of nature continue to disrupt your beautiful land.
What a great harvest - enjoy!

Mary said...

I gave you a heads up on my post today Kim!

Carol W. said...

Praise God that you & Rob are okay & no damage done. My friend in Downey CA said she felt her floor move & her chandlier jiggled during the 7.1 quake. I've never felt one, but I can imagine!
Your garden and produce look amazing! Keep up the good work getting rid of the bugs. God bless you both!

Carol W. said...

(Sorry, I typed Ron & my phone changed it to Rob.)

Kessie said...

Look at those garden pics! The tunnels look so green and mysterious inside. If we were there, the kids would just live inside them, I'm sure. So much fresh produce! What's a Tigger melon?

Those earthquakes are mindblowing. They're having earthquakes and stuff all around the Ring of Fire right now, so it's just the whole plate being active. Nothing to do but ride it out, I suppose.

Julia said...

Hi Kim, I haven't heard any more news about the earthquakes in South California and I was wondering if you still had them. I hope not.
I hope that you have a good rest of the week.
Hugs, Julia

Sara at Come Away With Me said...

Hello Kim, your garden is wonderful and I know it is also a lot of work. You certainly make good use of everything you grow. I hope the shaking stops soon . . . down here we only felt the 7.1 but of course it was hardly anything by the time it reached us here. That's life in California . . .

Alica said...

I've been thinking of you guys! So sad to not regularly get to read all of my blogger friends posts since I'm away at work so much! :(
I can't imagine the fear and unsettled feelings that come with earthquakes. I'm glad to hear you are safe, and pray that things will settle down soon. Your absent PA friend...

Bonnie K said...

I am so glad you and your family are safe. I can't imagine how scary that must be. Wow on the garden. Everything is fabulous! Take care and be safe!

Natalia said...

There is nothing better than your own veggies and fruits, I also like to put them in jars for the colder months☺

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

I am glad you are safe. We've had a few earthquakes in my state and in surrounding areas, which I think are from fracking. Scary, no matter the cause.

Gumbo Lily said...

Oh Kim! I didn't realize the earthquakes were in your area. How scary! I hope things have settled down since this blog post. Your gardens are INCREDIBLE!! The cattle panels are a great idea for your vertical growing. I have one that my beans are growing on, but I could see putting pumpkins on them. Mine start vining through the entire garden. I try to trail them out into the pasture, but they like the garden better.

Did you get some more canning done? Beautiful foods.

Kerin said...

I'm so glad that you guys were able to get through the earth quakes safe and sound.
I would have left my canning on the floor too!

I am absolutely going to do some of those cattle panel arches! Not only do they look fantastic, but sounds like they are great for growing on too!

How did the stripped melon taste? Would you grow them again?

Have a happy day.
~K.