Winter

Winter

Wednesday, November 1, 2017

Time to be Thankful, Fall Textures.


I was taking pictures today. I was surprised to myself the different textures in fall verses things in the spring.
Everything is tired, but it has its own beauty. Here are a few of the textures that caught my eye.



These are my giant sunflowers that the birds couldn't read because of the weight of the sunflower seeds as they ripened the sunflower head bent lower and lower. I cut them off yesterday and turned them right side up.
As of yet, they had not been noticed by hungry birds. I bet once they are noticed the birds will devour the seeds.


The Pomegranates are getting ripe. Kind of like persimmons the leaves start falling when the fruit gets ripe. I have a walnut tree growing in my flowerbed that I will move this winter. I have left it now for three years.


My tiny little rose bush. The flowers are so bedraggled. I wish they were covered in raindrops.


Some years the reds on the trees keep my eyes staring at the colors but for some reason this year I can't take my eyes off of the Japanese Lantern tree. I find myself staring at it during the day as I can see it from my kitchen. I love the way the green is fading from the leaves and the shape of the leaves.



I harvested some of the pumpkins yesterday. I left these on the vines because they just aren't ready yet. I set them on their bottoms and I loved how pretty they looked sitting out there in my pumpkin patch. I love the way that vine in the top picture looks so curly. Next year when I plant these I will plant them earlier in the year.


The reds are so pretty this year, but I am afraid the leaves are falling so fast there won't be much time to enjoy the colors.

I love these colors of the different leaves. I could see so many different kinds of leaves from all of the different trees. Tired leaves ready for bed. To be turned into this lovely stuff.


We worked on this all summer. We are using it now. Such wonderful mulch.


I had to show you what is coming up in my flowerbeds now. My Iris bulbs. So when it seems winter never ends, there in the ground are the secret promises of spring.

I just thought I would share today, the textures of fall.

~Kim~

Its a time for taking stock of  being Thankful every day.

 If we commit ourselves to one person for life, this is not, as many people think, a rejection of freedom; rather, it demands the courage to move into all the risks of freedom, and the risk of love which is permanent; into that love which is not possession but participation.
Madeleine L'Engle

12 comments:

Pom Pom said...

Hi Kim! Iris! I love California.
You're so right about all the textures. I bet the birds will gobble up the seeds now.
Your pumpkins are picture perfect.
Did you have any parrots this year?

Kessie said...

That's a spam comment up there. I love your pretty fall pictures! We don't get fall down here. The tiny leaves fall off the mesquite trees and make more dust. That's all. It's so nice to see the real reds and yellows.

Rugs and Pugs said...

Such beautiful pictures. Thank you for sharing.
I don't believe I've ever seen a pomegranate on the tree before :)
November. UGH!
Lauren

Alica said...

You have a pomegranate tree? It never ceases to amaze me what you folks in CA can grow!! I would be in heaven with all of the fruit trees you have!

Debbie said...

can you harvest seeds from those sunflowers?? i have some from one of the sunflower patches we visited.

so much beauty, those pumpkins are so pretty, i like the shape and colors!!!

Cheryl R said...

I also have never seen pomegranate s growing. Thank you for the beautiful pictures

Susan Kane said...

Where do you live and may I come over (of course, depending if you are in Calif.)?

Julia said...

Hi Kim, I love that you can grow pomegranate but I'm not supposed to eat them because they have estrogen in them. Can you believe??? Oh my, those white pumpkins are so beautiful.

I'm suer the birds will soon notice the seeds from those sunflowers. They are silly birds if they don't notice them. I'm sure the squirrels will.

Have a great November. It's my birthday month so I love November.
Hugs, Julia

Gumbo Lily said...

I like seeing your fall textures. The pink-looking pumpkins are so beautiful. Our Fall skies are texture-y looking with lots of clouds and grays and rain and snowflakes. Not much snow, just squalls.

GretchenJoanna said...

Wonderful pictures! I would love to walk around your place with you in person but this is pretty great!

Three Sheep Studio said...

Beautiful colors in your garden !
Do you let the sunflower heads out for the birds ?
Rose

Sara at Come Away With Me said...

Hi Kim! Even though Autumn is when things start slowing down, it is certainly the most colorful season (in my opinion) and aflame with all sorts of wonderful warm colors and textures, and fruits and leaves. So beautiful. What a wonderful place you have there!