Winter

Winter

Tuesday, November 21, 2017

Ramblings in My Mind


This morning as I walked. My mind was all over the place. It felt like an unruly horse with the bit in its teeth.
As I yanked the reins back mentally, trying to make some sense of what was racing through my mind. Before I went outside this morning I checked the weather to see what kind of coat I needed. The forecast was for haze.
As I walked and I could see the colors, the clouds and I was reminded how three years ago, haze in the forecast meant hiding all day behind the blinds. Trapped because haze with someone who has cataracts is just horrible. Those days, I would pray, I wouldn't have to drive. So as I walked, I thought about how thankful I am to live in this place, right now. A place where I can see and rejoice in pain free place today.


 As I looked out this morning, I saw that winter is almost here. When the sun rises just perfectly over Bear Mountain, winter will be here. The sun is almost there. The front tree, is all naked. When I lived in town, I would have to climb to the top of the kids fort to see the sun rise. So I asked the Lord if He would let me live in a place where I could see the sun rise and the sun set. When we moved here, it was such a gift and still remains a huge gift in my life. I never miss sunrises or sunsets, and each one is just as precious as it was when that first morning, and the sun rose over Bear Mountain flooding my new house with sunlight.


I was thinking about when we moved here it was basically blank slate. No trees except the front one. No fences, no out buildings and no water anywhere.  As I look around at all of the work Ron has done, it really is amazing. All of the trees we have planted. This morning though, what I thought about was that Ron planted all of these trees that are full of color. The reds, orange and yellow, are what he planted so I could have colored leaves without ever leaving home. Not to mention putting that split rail fence in for me. I think it would be so hard to leave here because of all of the dreams I have had fulfilled living here.


 I have really had the joy of living at the foot of my rainbow. I am so thankful for this life I have been given. When we were newly married and Ron came home as I sat with a baby on my lap and his face was alight with joy. He said, " Kim, I found a verse God gave me for our life, Look its right here! " Give, and you will receive. Your gift will return to you in full--pressed down, shaken together to make room for more, running over, and poured into your lap. The amount you give will determine the amount you get back." (Luke 6:38)
I scoffed at the time, but Ron has always had more faith than me.
So now almost 38 years later, God has been faithful and so mind blowing. I am so thankful. On the Wednesday before Thanksgiving,  1979 I was working in the grocery store. My brother who worked there called me to the back room to ask me a question. I went back and the phone rang in the back room. I went to answer it and it was Ron, (he was supposed to be in Santa Barbara at school.) I thought he was between classes. He said, he had to do something. While I waited on the phone, who should come around the corner, but Ron with the biggest smile. I was so shocked as he dropped on his knees right there with my engagement ring in his hand, and asked me to marry him. I of course said yes, I have no idea how I worked the rest of the day, I floated I think.

It really has been a breath taking adventure. I am so thankful for all of the gifts I have had but I am the most thankful that through these years, I have so many ways to be thankful to God, who took my life and changed it and gave me Ron to walk with every single day to see the sun rise and the sun sets.

May God richly bless you today,

~Kim~

Happy Thanksgiving!

9 comments:

Rugs and Pugs said...

What a wonderful engagement story. How lucky (along with hard work, I am sure) to be with your soulmate for so many years. You are truly blessed.
Happy Thanksgiving ��
Lauren

Julia said...

It's a very romantic story. I'm glad you said yes. I agree with Lauren, there was some hard work in there too I'm sure. A thankful heart is a happy heart. That's my motto...
Enjoy your nice colorful season.
Happy Thanksgiving.
Hugs, Julia

Kessie said...

What a nice Thanksgiving post! I am so thankful to be here, now, instead of last year. Although by this time last year, we were already moved. I'm so glad you can see now! It was so bad when you had your cataracts. My heart just about broke that Christmas when I saw the labels on the gifts, when you couldn't see what you were writing.

Gumbo Lily said...

What a beautiful story.
A thankful heart is so important.

Sara at Come Away With Me said...

It's a gift we have lived this long so we have years to look back on and see how often and how richly we have been blessed! Thank you for sharing a little of your story. I love your autumn leaves, and I, too, prayed for a home where I could see the sun rise and set . . . and here we both are with this daily gift offered to us so generously. And last but not least, I am thankful for YOU, my blogging friend!

Bonnie K said...

Amen! I am happy and thankful to say I know how you feel. Life is good!

Pom Pom said...

You're forever grateful! It's a blessing to all of us.
I hope your Thanksgiving is fantastic! I finished the pies and now I will make apps in the morning.
God be with you and have a wonderful Thanksgiving weekend.

Kelly @ Homespuns 'n Hayfields said...

What a beautiful post. God has definitely blessed you. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Debbie said...

oh that's a beautiful, wonderful story...ron, such a clever guy!!!

i hope you had a really wonderful thanksgiving!!!