Winter

Winter

Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Odds and Ends


Ron worked this weekend on getting things ship-shape. He got my walking paths all nice and smooth. The pasture is all nicely turned under and he keeps working our garden area and he is still turning the mulch pile under and it smells nicer and richer each time. It was a beautiful day. The grass is turning green and the meadowlarks are back. Though, I haven't smelled spring yet. It still smells like a deep freeze. The trees still seem pretty asleep.


 This is from the back, looking toward the house.  When I stand back here, I think of what it will look like when that windmill is out there. Makenzie came over and picked oranges, and lemons and blood oranges. She took six bags home. Ben and Megan came and picked bags of them too, and it still looks like we haven't picked a single thing. You know I believe that planting fruit and nut trees is one of the best things a person can do to plan for the future. When we planted those trees 15 years ago, it was for when the kids grew up and started their own families. So now when they come pick fruit it makes me so happy.


When we first got married and we lived in an apartment and we had tiny little patio with a tiny bit of dirt, we even grew things there. I loved my little bit of flowerbed in our first apartment. When we bought our first house we put in a garden almost before we painted the house. Our whole married life has been about growing and gardening. I still don't think I know anything about it yet. Every year, every garden we learn and change how we do things. One of these years, I hope we hit of a great idea to get maximum tomatoes. I still think a pack of seeds and a bit of earth is the most wonderful surprise in the whole world.


I had to really crop this picture but I wanted you to see our mountains with some snow. How green everything is and how blue the sky is after the rain. This has been such a blessing to have rain and snow and cold. To live in drought and then have rain like we have is just such a treat this year. I am so thankful.

This was a frosty morning as the sun was coming up. Isn't the grass just awesome? Already. This is next door. I love the white against the green. I just got back from my yearly eye exam. Its been three years since the Cataract surgery. What a gift being able to see is and how I am still amazed at colors. My eyes are in really good health. I just feel so blessed. I feel like I could jump tall buildings in a single bound.

Ron fixed my pictures on my computer and now I can finally blog. It had got to the point where I would sit down to blog and I would be on for hours trying to find my pictures and I would finally give up. Its so nice when things work like they are supposed to and pictures load again.

Yay for my programmer who fixes my computer after a long day at work and even my office chair.  So many things to be thankful for today. Also good by to January! You have been nice but ready for some red and white of February.

Have a lovely day,
~Kim~

“Anyone who thinks gardening begins in the spring and ends in the fall is missing the best part of the whole year; for gardening begins in January with the dream.” -Josephine Nuese


17 comments:

Debbie said...

that's such a beautiful field, i had forgotten how big it is!! our trees are still sleeping here - but it has been so warm that all my spring bulbs are confused and are popping out at least 3 - 4 inches!! we also lived in a tiny apartment when we were first married!!

YaY for husbands and kids that can help us with computer issues!!!

Pom Pom said...

I love that quote!
Your pics are so pretty! I want to come for a few bags of fruit!

Alica said...

I'm sooo jealous of your fruit trees. I've had fresh grapefruit from Florida trees already, and I can attest to the fact that fruit fresh from the tree is absolutely amazing!!
Your green grass also looks so pretty...but I will admit I'm glad I don't have to mow yet! :)

GretchenJoanna said...

I agree with you about planting fruit trees :-) What a blessing one tree can be for generations to come. Even places that are abandoned, if they have fruit trees, poor people can come and eat, or animals. I love going to my childhood home where there are still at least orange trees, even if some of the mandarins and lemons are gone. I can't remember about the grapefruit... obviously I don't go often enough!

TheCrankyCrow said...

How blessed you are to live in such a temperate climate and fortunate to be able able to walk out and pluck an orange from a tree if you wish. About the only fruit tree in these parts are apple trees...and the apples are only edible if they are sprayed... I'm glad you got some much needed rain...everything looks so lush and green. Six inches of snow was dumped on us yesterday and I hear there is more on the way...we will remain buried for several months yet. Is the one photo of blood oranges?? I have never tasted one...but they are beautiful and sound so enticing.... Have a great week ahead....and thanks for the glimpses of spring. Smiles & Hugs ~ Robin

acorn hollow said...

what part of the country are you in? We are still under a pile of snow and more coming tonight.
I got a new seed catalog in the mail so that is my dreaming for now.
love your pictures
cathy

Julia said...

A great post today. I'm envious that you can grow those fruits in abundance. It so nice for the family to be able to pick to their hearts content.

We still have snow and plenty of it. January came quickly and is leaving as quickly. I'm looking at seed catalogues too.

Take care,
Hugs,
Julia

Empty Nester said...

So beautiful- everything! I'm still holding out hope that we'll get some winter before spring arrives. I love that your kids can come and pick fruit! How are your chickens doing?

Kim said...

I can't imagine how great it would be to walk out in your yard and pick fruit off the trees.....in January! There is actually NO snow in my yard right now but the weather chick on the news tonight said February is going to break our hearts.

Rugs and Pugs said...

I can't believe it's been 3 years since your cataract surgery. Time's a flyin'!
Fresh fruit from the tree. YUM!
How many acres do you have? It looks immense.
Hugs :)
Lauren

Bonnie K said...

Thanks for the hope. My orchard is 7 years old and it isn't what I would call bountiful. It is fun to look back.

Gumbo Lily said...

What fun to be sharing the fruits from the trees you planted years ago. Tree-ripened fruit is the very best, I think.

The green grass is lovely! I'm glad you're getting the needed moisture for your land. the quote is excellent! I'm "dreaming" about a garden now. I'm waiting for a couple apple, cherry, and plum trees to mature enough for fruit. Maybe my grandkids will be able to harvest fruit one day.

Three Sheep Studio said...

I remember finding your blog shortly before your surgery. Amazing, so many years have passed.
Your fruit trees sound so wonderful. Love the quote at the end.
Rose

annie said...

I was reading your blog then, I remember your surgery too.
How amazing to have fruit and nuts of your own, I'd wish for pecans if they would only grow here.
I. Have had blood oranges only once.
Very delicious they were!

Kessie said...

It's so green! It hasn't been green like that in such a long time. I saw your mountain shot and immediately started singing "the hills are alive with the sound of music!"

Sally said...

So beautiful where yall live! You have a wonderful blog; I'm here from Debbie, our mutual purple pal.

Sally said...

So beautiful where yall live! You have a wonderful blog; I'm here from Debbie, our mutual purple pal.