Winter

Winter

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Whew!! Its Wednesday


Do you ever have those weeks when so much was going on that in a way, it is good it is only Wednesday and in other ways it feels like, it is only Wednesday?  That has been this week. Today, I think I will be binding the rugs I managed to finish yesterday and Monday.

My first rug was a little thing done by Primitive Spirit. It is a sweet rug, a bit out of my comfort zone. I wanted to push myself this year to try different styles.


It makes me happy to see this finished. Now hooking was a different story. I think for me big rugs are easier to hook. Little ones really give my hooking hand a work out.

My next rug I have done before and it continues to be one of my favorite patterns. I have always wanted to do it in different colors and I like this rug. It is a pattern done by Maggie Bonanomi called Mother Earth from the book Garden Gate Threads by Need'l Love.


I have no idea why this picture is coming out so small, but oh well. Here is a close up of that robin.

Just a fun rug.

I made my goal to do samplers this year. I am almost finished with my one for January. I hope I get a chance to work on it today.


This is a pattern done by Nan Lewis whose blog is called Threadwork Primitives. It is a nice pattern to work on and I do love stitching letters.

Okay, who knows what I did with my Picassa, but here is how the sky looked this morning. It looks like a old pictures doesn't it? Really though it was this morning as the sun was coming up and the fog was rising across the field. I thought it looked cool, and this effect makes it look pretty cool too.

One of the things I read when I was a young mother was how important it was for children to have animals to love. So all of the kids had animals that they took care of and loved. Then the children started growing up and the animals stayed with me. Which is okay, because I love animals. Not this part though. I had our two oldest cats that were beginning to really age. So yesterday, I had to take them to the vet to be put to sleep.
Bobbi was 19 years old and Claw was 17. Claw was blind and deaf and had really stopped eating and Bobbi would I think have died in her sleep this week. I think the hardest thing about having animals is doing the humane thing. I did okay until I got in the car to drive home. I sat in the car and cried until I didn't think I could cry anymore. But what is done is done and I still have three cats left but even they are getting old too.

Yesterday, all I could hear in my head was my grandmother saying, " Kim, you must never allow an animal to suffer, because that is the greatest sin a  person can commit, animals are given to us and we are responsible for their well being, they are to be cared for and taken care of and you must do that hard thing, and never let them suffer." I think she would have been ashamed of me as I think I let them suffer much longer than I should have, but I could not do it and I had to pray, " Oh Lord give me the strength." He did, but gosh, what a basket case I am.


But today is a new day and I have a lovely new morning. The other three cats though, keep walking around staring at me with big eyes.

Have a lovely Wednesday,
~Kim~

" Who bends a knee where violets grow
A hundred secret things shall know.
---"A Charm for Spring Flowers," Poems, Rachel Fields, 1957

14 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

i'm sorry about the cats. truly is a very tough time of pet ownership/love. bless you.

the photo you took is just stunning.

Kerin said...

So sad about Bobbi, and Claw.. but I think you are brave and kind for being able to do what needed to be done. I agree with the words of your grandma... it is the humane thing to do, to not allow our pets to suffer.

Love the rugs! The brighter colors are so pretty and cheerful.
Cute sampler too!

How beautiful your sunrise was.. just makes me smile.

~K.

Dog Trot Farm said...

Hi Kim, how beautiful your sunrise was...a lovely way to start the day. I am so sorry about your kitties, I am sending you a big hug...I see you have been very ambitious, lovely rugs and a beautiful sampler...Enjoy the day...thinking of you...

Christine said...

It is sad to lose dear pet friends but you know that it is better for them. It was th same with our dog.
I love the new rugs and the sampler! I don't know what it is about letters as I enjoy stitching them most!

Kessie said...

That makes me sad about Bobbi and Claw ... But they were so old, they didn't enjoy life anymore, poor things.

Look at all the rugs you've gotten done! You've been very busy with your hands!

Jacque. said...

WOW...you are going great guns on hooking, woman! Good job! I love your sampler and look forward to seeing the others you do this year. I am so sorry to hear of the loss of your 2 cats. I know how difficult it is...but we are the ones who need to make those decisions. xo

Julia said...

I'm so sorry to hear about the old cats. The same thing happened to me. I ended out with three cats that I had to had to bring to the vet to put to sleep and I cried like a baby and couldn't even go with my husband to burry them. I felt so terrible for days. It was a very hard thing to do and I just won't take in any other animal because I just can't do that again. I get too attached...

Your rugs are cute and my goodness you are a regular hooking machine.

Your photograph is special, so beautiful...


I'm sending you some big warm hugs.
JB

Debbie said...

I am soo sorry to hear about Bobbi and Claw but of course you know you did what you had to do. It's just soo very hard. They both had LONG lives though and no doubt spent them loved and cared for. How attached we become. My oldest son still has the cat that his first wife brought to his marriage as a kitten. He lost his wife to cancer 14 years ago and he has held onto her cat like you wouldn't believe. She is 19 now and you know her days are numbered. How I dread how this will be for him. I LOVE that first rug btw, and your right that picture of the sunrise could be on a card or something. It's beautiful. Hope your having a good day! It's beautiful here.

Nellie said...

You have already had quite a week, Kim, and it's only Wednesday! Love the sampler! I send hugs to you at the loss of the two cats. Our pets become members of the family. Beautiful sunrise! xoNellie

Rugs and Pugs said...

Take comfort knowing that the furbabies are at the Rainbow Bridge healthy and carefree.
Great rugs and I, too, love stitching letters.
Hugs :)
Lauren

Liz Needle said...

So sorry about your pets. It's a difficult time when you lose a loved one. Your dawn photo is quite beautiful - ethereal is the word I'd use

Buttons Thoughts said...

Your Grandmother was very wise. I am sorry about your cats. HUGS
Love your style your rugs are incredible. Hug B

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

Sometimes having to do the right thing is so incredibly difficult ... like what you experienced with Bobbi and Claw. It's never easy to lose a beloved pet. {{hug}}

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

And that morning sky photo is spectacular! You should print that out and have it framed.