Winter

Winter

Friday, January 9, 2015

Just a Random Post


I hope you had a great week. I started great, but this cold has really thrown me to the mat. I keep hoping it will be gone very, very soon.

 I am very glad I am married to such a good organizer. He is working on new file folders and getting the New Year things all situated. He likes getting organized. I do but our organizational levels are quiet different.

Our number two son loaned us a book that he thought was really good. Ron started reading it out-loud last night as I hooked my latest rug. It has lots of language, lots. Ron doesn't read the language but changes it so I am finding it really a wonderful story. ( I am always aware of people coming in and I wouldn't want them to over hear that language as we don't talk like that.)  The book began its life as a self published book but now has been published by a publisher and has a movie contract. The book is called The Martian by Andy Weir. It is so well written, I feel like I have been watching a movie. The movie should be out in November 2015
directed by Ridley Scott with Matt Damon. It is all about work so of course, we love it.


My oven finally broke big time this last weekend. I won't bore you with the details, but having no oven has been a test this week. I told the boys that they really need to learn how to do appliance repair as no one wants to fix anything any more. They just want us to go buy a new one. That is what my regular repairman told me. So this is hoping the new guy can repair my oven and I don't have to buy a new one.
First world problems.


I have wondered things this week. Do you ever wonder what happens to birds when they are flying in the rain? Do they get water in their eyes? Do they just keep flying and hope the drip just falls out? I thought about that watching birds in the rain. They seemed to have fun and didn't slow down any.

I was also wondering watching the birds hang out in the back yard. They all seem to be good friends right now. No one is fighting over territory. The meanest birds are the little one. Hummingbirds are real fighters. They take on anyone. Then the Phoebe is a real fighter too. The bigger birds don't seem to pay attention though I did see the mockingbirds hitting the doves. The meadowlarks seem to like everyone as they walk all over the front yard, in their funny stumping steps with their short little tails. 

Have a lovely weekend, I hope it warms up for you.
~Kim~

" Life is a cup to be filled, not drained."
---Anoymous

16 comments:

Kessie said...

What is it with critical appliances breaking this time of year? Our toilet handle broke the week everybody got the flu. So it can only be flushed if you work the proper voodoo.

I hope you're feeling better. I'm dragging myself around, attempting to do laundry and feeling crappy. This flu bug hits HARD.

TexWisGirl said...

sorry about the oven - at least it made it thru the holidays!

Debbie said...

I am the organizer at my house but you already knew that!! It's cold at the jersey shore as well but today we are got through a "warm front" 36 degrees!!

Pom Pom said...

I'm sorry you still feel yucky! Rest. I was wondering the same thing about birds the other day! I never see them flying in the rain but it doesn't rain much here so I guess they don't have to!

Jacque. said...

Hope you're feeling better very soon, Kim. It is darn cold here, but should be warming up a bit next week. Hard to get excited about going anywhere, so I don't! Enjoy your weekend. xo

Gumbo Lily said...

I am waiting for my repair guy to come fix the gas burners on my stove. My son repairs appliances, but this fix is a little more technical, I guess.

I wonder about birds and animals outdoors too. I always wonder how small birds can survive when the temperature goes below zero.

Julia said...

I hope that your cold gets better real fast. It's no fun being sick.

That book sounds very interesting for a guy like my husband. He loves science fiction.

I always wonder how their little feet just don't freeze and how they can stand the bitter cold. When I'm cold, I feel that everyone is cold too. lol...

Take care,
Hugs,
JB

Nellie said...

Oh, my! We could use an expert organizer here! I'm so sorry your oven has broken. I don't know how I would function with ours, and there are just the two of us here most of the time. You still have others at home! Birds must have some extra insulation in their feet in order to hop around in the cold. We've had more birds than usual around taking advantage of "nature's birdfeeders." That's tomorrow's post on my blog.:-) Take care of yourself! xo Nellie

Meg said...

Oh Boo! I didn't know you got it too. :( I hope you're over it soon. And that really sucks about your oven tanking. Our dryer keeps making evil noises, so I am wondering if it will go out too. Maybe it's the time of year? Hope you feel better!

Gail said...

How very sweet that Hubby reads to you.

Love that rain drop picture.

Empty Nester said...

No warm up here, please! It's the heat that gets me down. I'm loving the cold and have enjoyed my morning walks with Tucker since I can breathe in the cold and he doesn't stop and make me carry him. LOL

Thistle Cove Farm said...

just put out more seed for the birds, in this cold they really need and enjoy it.

Catherine said...

Hope you are feeling better soon.
Keep cozy and warm. xo Catherine

Kim said...

Sorry about your stove. You're right, nobody wants to fix things anymore. A few years ago our 3 year old stove broke and we had to buy new. Frustrating

Kerin said...

Hi Kim..
Sorry I haven't been by to visit earlier.. I am such a blog bum!
It's so nice that Ron has been reading to you. I think it is such a nice couples thing to do together.. also, I think it's sweet that he's editing out the bad language :)

So, did you get your oven fixed?

Smiles :)
~K.

Anonymous said...

What lovely shots.