Winter

Winter

Monday, April 21, 2014

Monday Again

I hope you all had a lovely day. I don't think I could have asked for a more perfect day. It was the perfect temperature for being outside. We picked our first crop of Artichokes.



There is maybe double this amount to be picked. So many of them and all of them so pretty.

I found this poor little blue jay. The Mom and Dad were just above my head. They are so used to me they were quiet while it took its picture and then left. As I got in the house, I watched the poor Mother and Dad  try and try to get the baby to fly. He ran fast and flapped his little wings but couldn't get very high. They would fly down and feed it over and over and then keep working with it.

Later when we were out in the garden, Sasha found it. (Somehow it had got over the fence.) It broke my heart to see this little bird stand up to the dog. It stared at her and was so brave. I grabbed her by the collar and put her in the yard. She isn't a killing dog, but she does like to herd. Sometimes she gets too rough, the parents were frantic. I was afraid for it last night, but this morning, even though I didn't look hard. The Mom and Dad were still on duty, so it made it though the night. I hope today they get it to fly today. I really liked watching them working with the baby.


The chicks now are tiny chickens. I have decided that Buff Orpingtons  just might be my favorite. What a nice breed of chicken. So calm and gentle. Cuckoo Marans are too but these chicks want to be in my arms all of the time. I got a rooster from this bunch. Not happy about it, but my son said he would take it and turn it into fried chicken. I am okay, so I am not picking it up or even looking at it much. He is also going to take my little black silkie for the same reason. That maybe a bit harder, but he is such a little Nazi I am ready for him to be gone.

Yesterday, we were out on the patio and the kids were playing sword fights and the adults were visiting, Nik decided to throw pots. We sat on the patio and watched him and talked and laughed. There is something so peaceful about watching someone work with clay. Meg said next year she would bring her spinning wheel. As I sat there, I was so thankful for each and every one. Forgive me for bragging, but they are the most talented group of people and I am pretty sure watching them we could survive a zombie Apocalypse. I should have taken pictures of the knives Ben makes. I told him yesterday I am going to start  a Pinterest category, called Stuff I want Ben to make.

Here is a vase Nik made too.

The kids hunted Easter eggs. That was fun and then what I hope becomes a tradition for next year.
Meg brought 18 plastic eggs and goodies to put in them. Ron and I filled them and then we hid them out in the garden. It was almost sundown and seeing those young people run around looking for eggs was so much fun. The eggs had money and then Meg had written out notes that were the size of a dollar bill, which were so funny. One of them said, " Golden ticket, You loose Charlie." Things like that.

Then after that the kids did the Easter eggs with the story of Easter. I made the little things in the eggs when Ben was small and he helped me collect everything. Now  it is so much fun to share it with his sons. Then we had communion with our family. The little families each having their own elements. There is nothing that makes me more thankful or in awe is sitting in the living room with our family and praying.

When we were young, and I wasn't really very sure about being a Christian or reading the Bible or anything to do with it. I had lived in the world and was pretty satisfied with how things were and didn't know if I wanted to change. Ron came home, and as he flew in the door, all smiles. He said, " God gave me a verse about our life!" Me always the skeptic, wanted to see this verse he was so excited about.

"Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you."
(Luke 6:38)

When I sit and see how this is how we have been given, I see more often than not how little that I have given and how overflowing the blessing is in my lap. I am so thankful I went ahead with the plan. However grudgingly I did it. Our children have turned out to be nice people. 

That was the day. Best holiday ever, if our oldest daughter and her family had been here, it would have been the best. 

Have a lovely Monday, forgive my bragging, I know it is over the top today. But if you knew me in person and the life I lived and the mistakes I made, you would understand, why I am in shock most of the time that this is my life. It must be that Dad of theirs. Because it certainly isn't me.  Not to mention that God is good all of the time. 

~Kim~

" I wish we had tails to wag," said Mr. Dearly."
---101 Dalmatians, Dodie Smith, 1957


25 comments:

Catherine said...

A beautiful post and a thankful one. You are not bragging. I feel the humility with which you speak. You are simply praising and giving thanks for all the Lord has given you.
I hope the little bird learns to fly today.
Blessings dear. Catherine xo

Nellie said...

How refreshing to hear about your very special Easter Sunday! Have a marvelous Monday! xo Nellie

Kessie said...

Ah, it sounds like such fun! I know we could survive the zombie apocalypse! :-) Also, those artichokes look wonderful. Every year I want to buy a bunch and pickle the hearts.

Julia said...

I'm so glad you had a perfect Easter day with family.
I love the thrown pottery. You are blessed with a talented family.

Enjoy your many blessings and have a wonderful day.
Hugs,
JB

Beth said...

A wonderful post Kim! God is good!

Alica said...

Your family sounds wonderful Kim! You can be proud of them! And what cool pots...I enjoy watching that too. A friend of ours is a potter, and it's amazing what they can do with a lump of clay.

Debbie said...

Sounds perfect!!

TexWisGirl said...

thank you for sharing your day. your family is a blessing. the next generation taking care of the next. i loved it. and i loved nik throwing pots while he was there. you are SO blessed - and i am so glad for you. your heart is full.

Susan Kane said...

A very creative family!

I am thinking about the little blue bird. I hope it took wing!!

Kim said...

You should brag, and include yourself in it. Wonderful children don't raise themselves. Take a little bow, it's ok.
Poor little blue bird. I hope he's ok and gets his wings

Kerin said...

Sounds like you all had a wonderful and blessed Easter; I'm so glad.
You do indeed have talented children, and I can tell that they are a blessing to you, and you to them.
We are so blessed!! Our Heavenly Father blesses us each and every day.... not one day goes by that he doesn't bless us :)

Love your sweet testimony... thank you for sharing it .

Hope that this is a great week for you. Enjoy the sunshine, and the garden bounty that you are already harvesting.

Smiles :)
Kerin

Buttons Thoughts said...

Oh Kim it sounds perfect. I would be as excited and grateful as you and bragging is not a bad thing. HUGS B

Pom Pom said...

What a thankful heart you have, Kim! The verse Ron shared with you gave me goosebumps.

Meg said...

It was the most PERFECT day! I have not had that much fun in so long and I really didn't want to leave last night. It was just so nice to laugh and hang out with every one. Ben said after we got home that we really did just laugh and laugh and laugh the whole time. And I had a ridiculous amount of fun hunting eggs! LOL! That will definitely need to happen every year now. Oh Ben went in and filed his business name today so he is all official. :)

Rugs and Pugs said...

What a perfect Easter.
Hugs :)
Lauren

Velva said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Velva said...

What a great way to spend the day..beautiful. I sure hope the little blue jay has made its way up, up, and away. How very cool to watch the parents work with their little bird. Very cool.

Miss Debbie said...

Sounds like a beautiful Easter Day for you all!

GretchenJoanna said...

After reading this, I have come up with a little verse we could say when we've been talking happily about our children:

I'm not bragging;
That's just my tail a-wagging!

Three Sheep Studio said...

You're not bragging Kim.
I see a deep appreciation and thankfulness !
So glad you had a treasure of a day with your family.
Rose

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

Like Rose said, you're expressing your appreciation and thankfulness. So happy that you had such a wonderful day with your family.

Sure hope that the baby jay was able to get away.

Willow said...

Beautiful Kim .

camp and cottage living said...

Kim
I'm betting you are every bit as responsible as your hubby for having great kids!
It sounds like a wonderful Easter you all had together.
Blessings-Kimberly

http://bitsandpieces-sonja.blogspot.com/ said...

This was a beautiful sharing, Kim. You are truly blessed!!

One thing for sure, tomorrow I'm going to get myself a big green artichoke... :)

From Beyond My Kitchen Window said...

It's not bragging if its true!! I think it is wonderful to hear about your talented group..Everyone needs someone that believes they are the best. I think your kids have lived up to the love and support of you and Ron. That's a job well done. Take all the pleasure in their success you can.