Winter

Winter

Monday, August 28, 2023

The last week of August


 Here we are at the last week of August. I am so glad. August has been hot and then we had that hurricane. Oh and the earthquake.

 It was just a nice rain storm. The ground was so dry, even the next morning, there was hardly any puddles. Really, last winter we had lots more scary storms than this "hurricane." But it was nice to break records.

Our grand daughter finally got her pillow from her Grandma. I miss them all so much. I have three to make for the other grand children. Some how I missed my daughter's youngest three kids. There are birthdays at her house in November so I need to get on it. I started out when I was getting grand children with quilts. I stopped around six I think. Rugs go faster than quilts. Plus I am just not a good quilter. 



My pantry is filling up with all of the things I have been canning. You know I don't know if I will ever not be jumpy using the pressure cooker. I wish I could just relax when I do it but its an all day job and after its done and put away I am just exhausted. I know no one that ever had a pressure cooker blow up, but that is always my fear. I have been canning food since I was a kid with my grandma and my Mom and I am still jumpy. I think though, this next weekend, I am pulling out my garden and getting it ready for a winter one. We will see though, once I get that mess that my tomatoes vines have become, I am tired of gardens. 

I also finally finished my stitch book. I have had these embroidery pieces I did for a challenge I did on Face Book eons ago and I just never knew how to put them together. So I sort of cobbled it together.


I learned how to do all of these neat stitches, but without watching a You Tube video again, I couldn't do it. But they are finally in a book and I can now put it away. 

Now my rug I have been working on. Its such a fun rug. 


 

Its from Crow Creek Farm. I really do love all of her cute patterns. So that's what has been going on and keeping me from the computer. Microsoft keeps loading upgrades, and I am almost at the point of as my husband calls it, "Planned Obsolescence." Where because the computer is getting older and the software is taking more and more room, you have to end up buying a new computer. Its giving me fits so I find other things to do instead of dealing with it. 

I hope you all have a lovely week. Thank you for stopping by it really is a joy to me to read your comments. 

~Kim~

“And all at once, summer collapsed into fall.” – Oscar Wilde

11 comments:

Saundra said...

Wow, it appears I'm able to make a comment despite the 'alert'. Glad you came out unscathed from the hurricane and earthquake. When living in California I was petrified of the earthquakes.
I'm not a very good quilter either and definitely use the term 'quilter' loosely.
Lovely canned goods so you are prepared.

Saundra said...

Oops forgot to mention how I like your hooked piece and stitchery book.

TheCrankyCrow said...

Wow...you have been one incredibly busy lady! Finishing your granddaughter's (large!) pillow, the sweet little stitch book, making good progress on your new rug AND canning up a storm! There is nothing prettier or more satisfying that a pantry full of home-preserved goods. I had to laugh at your comments about the pressure canner. Yup, I SO get that. I, too, canned as a child using the pressure canner and it aways scared me. I much prefer hot-water bath canning but there are only so many things you can do using that method. I don't even own a pressure cooker these days. The again, I don't even have a garden. But, I still do enjoy getting a big ol' bunch of tomatoes and canning them. Enjoy the new week ahead. ~Robin~

Gretchen Joanna said...

I'm glad you have AC so you can work comfortably in the house on all your beautiful projects. And the plants must have been happily surprised to get even a little water from above, in the summer!

Wishing you a blessed September, Kim.

Kessie said...

You've canned so much more than I have! I did make some fermented pickles and they're totally delicious. I've been experimenting with making my own flavored kombucha, with terrifying results. (Turns out my Very Vinegary Kombucha + Fresh Grated Ginger = take the roof off your mouth). I'm with you about tearing out the garden. Mine is about finished, and it's all gone to leaves and stopped producing. I think my soil isn't very good. I need to dig it out and restart it with all mulch.

Julia said...

I love that sheep pattern. it will make a lovely rug.
Like you, I've been super busy putting preserves but I'm not near finished. I made 153 bottles of assorted pickles for sale and for family. I've frozen a lot of broccoli and they keep producing and my freezer is full.

I love the large All-American pressure cooker I ordered online last year. I was also scared to death but it had those locking knobs. Now I feel comfortable and love to use it. I canned veggies and meat last year.

Take care. Hugs,
Julia

annie said...

Wonderful post. I love your stitching. Sweet little sheep, that's a great pattern, and the stitch book is just fabulous.
Decades ago my Momma had a canner blow up, her eyebrows never grew back in. I know equipment is better quality now than so long ago. But she never used one again. She only canned tomatoes or fruit in a water bath all our growing up years. To this day, I have never pressure canned anything either. Only water bathed things like her.. I am leery of them too. Annie

Rugs and Pugs said...

What a sweet picture of your grand!
Rug is coming along nicely...and stitching book is so cool.

Club Crafteria said...

You do great job. Nice to see your grand daughter enjoying with her pillow. Love the stitches you make.

acorn hollow said...

Wow have you been busy and very productive! My little garden drowned this year in our days and days if rain and then when the sun came out it was hazy from the fires in Canada. I love your sitting book great challenge. And your sweet grand on her pillow precious. I love your rug you are working on so sweet. Happy last week of August
Cathy

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

You have been very busy! Your rug will be beautiful- they always are. Do you sell them or give them to your children? I wish I could stand close up work, but my eyes strain and give me a righteous headache and then I get frustrated with the whole mess. I used to love to crochet and knit..not anymore. Can't even read a book....getting old just sucks lemons. HA!