Winter

Winter

Sunday, April 3, 2022

Hello April

Happy April!

I finally have some thing to blog about. But first, I have to talk about the weather. Today its a beautiful beachy kind of day. High clouds and the smell of spring in the air is wonderful. I always think that is the smell of the ground warming up. We went to a plant sale yesterday. Emilie our daughter works for Edible School Yard. 

What a beautiful place. We really had a nice time exploring and seeing all of the amazing food that is grown there and then she gave us a private tour of the kitchens. 


This is in the middle of town. Its next to a school and the kids get to come and do classes here. I couldn't believe they have this much food that is almost ready to be harvested. 


 


When we put in those cattle panels at our last garden at the other house, I love to stand and stare down the arches. We get squash beetles so bad here, hopefully it will help. It helped our squash and cucumbers for awhile. I hope it works for them. The property is owned by Grimmway Farms so I think they know what they are doing. The apricots were already so big on the trees. The orange trees were in full bloom and it just smelled amazing. 


The Artichokes were huge! They were already loaded with artichokes. There were lots more but I couldn't get them all in the frame. They also had this wood burning pizza oven. They were selling pizza that they were making with the produce they have and it was so cool. I think I would love to have a pizza oven like that. Behind the pizza oven, they have grape vines covered in little grapes. On beyond that is a olive orchard and they make their own olive oil. I bought a bottle of it. In the school kitchen they use it like this.


They grow and dry and use their own herbs too. Can you see those drawers? I loved that I would take out some of my kitchen cabinets to have something like that. I thought it was so cool. Emilie has been doing a cooking segment on our local news for the school. Our youngest son Peter and his girlfriend Belle came too and we walked around enjoying the morning and of course, buying plants. It was nice to have Emilie take us on a special tour of the kitchen. 


I couldn't believe they already have onions to harvest. They let the school kids come in and harvest so they will be doing this pretty quick. Emilie asked if we wanted some, I said, of course. They were serving coffee, iced mint coffee Julep. Lemonade and water and of course pizza. There was homemade scones and other breads. There were so many people there, yet it never felt crowded. 

Ron and I got our garden beds ready before we went, in case we bought anything. We bought some tomatoes and peppers. We have 95 degree temps next week! This does not bode well for summer. I don't normally put in tomatoes and peppers this early, but it may be okay. 

I am almost finished with my whale rug. 

I have loved this rug for so long. I really like it. Then I bought this very cute pattern. I just love it. I worked on it way too much yesterday. 

I just loved this pattern. I loved that that big bird is standing on a wool penny. I think I bought it just for that. I just love whimsy. 

So that is what I have been doing. Nothing crazy. I hope you have a wonderful start to April. 

~Kim~


If you look the right way, you can see that the whole world is a garden.

(Francis Hodgson Burnett)







8 comments:

TheCrankyCrow said...

Happy Sunday and Happy April Dear Kim! What an amazing place!!! I cannot believe all the things they grow! Olive trees!! I haven't seen a proper orchard of them since I lived in Spain! And I never realized what an artichoke plant looked like...seriously. Are they prickly?? We have lost quite a bit of our snow and what we got yesterday did not stick around long so I went to see if any of my daffies were poking through...but they're not. Sigh. Your whale rug is looking FANTASTIC!! I, too, have always loved this pattern. Your colors are amazing! I'm betting this is going to rank right up there with that adorable bunny rug you did as favorites. 😍 Well, I've diddled enough today already and I need to get going on my taxes. Should have been started long ago but I am a huge procrastinator. Enjoy your afternoon....and happy planting! ~Robin~

kcmrugs@gmail.com said...

What an absolute GIFT to the school children and locals too. Hurray! I can almost taste the pizza too. Thank you for the tour. We’re far away from produce time here- so this is a welcome sight!

Julia said...

Wow on the beautiful school garden. It s so well organized and clean and cared for. What a great way to teach the students how to successfully grow their own vegetables and fruits. Mmm on the pizza and I love the Pizza oven. I have transplanted my pepper plants but still haven't planted my tomato seeds yet. I found a package of Rainbow Coleus seeds and transplanted them 5 days ago.

Your whale rug looks great. You are a fast hooker.

Have a great week.

acorn hollow said...

Oh my word I would be in complete heaven just walking and smelling those gardens. What a wonderful place and to have the kids there too.
Just what this world needs more gardens and kids who know how to garden.
Love your whale rug you have been very busy
Cathy

Kerin said...

You all had a lovely weekend; nothing better than a garden tour and digging in the dirt!!
That is a wonderful place, and how lucky that Emilie gets to 'work' there, although I wouldn't think of it as 'work', rather I would love going there every day and playing :)
It is incredible that there are so many things ready to harvest, and the volume of olive oil that they have is amazing!

I too would take out cabinetry and replace it with those lovely drawers, if that were an option!

It has been a strange weather year, but I hope that your new plants thrive!

Just have to say, that your handiwork projects are so pretty, and you always do such a wonderful job!

Smiles :)
~K.

Rugs and Pugs said...

Those gardens are simply amazing. What fun to have a personalized tour.
I am loving your whale rug and that cross stitch is just plain fun.
And speaking of loving, your new blog layout is so cool. I am so afraid of changing mine that I have never done it since I started blogging. I am afraid I will totally screw it up...lol!

Pom Pom said...

That really is a very cool place! I love it!
Your whale rug is beautiful!
I wonder if you'll LOVE that olive oil?
xo

Bonnie K said...

What an amazing garden. I was thinking about trying to grow artichokes, but I didn't realize how big they are. It was fun to see such a beautiful veggie garden.