Winter

Winter

Saturday, August 17, 2019

Mid August


What a lovely summer its been. Just the right kind. Not too many 110 days, just a normal summer.
The garden is tired, and I am tired of it. Its still so nice to go out in the early morning. I sit in my chair under the trees. My hens get as close as they can and preen and doze and I love the peace of the early morning. There are hummingbirds everywhere in the garden this time of morning and I watch them as they fly about the flowers and the squash blossoms. My sunflowers are starting to get tired, but the finches are so happy and you can hear them chatting to each other as they sway from the tops of the sunflowers as they harvest sunflower seeds. My little Jack be Little's are ready to be harvested but I keep putting it off, so maybe they will last lots longer if I harvest in September.


I have just loved seeing these little bees just covered in pollen and so loaded down, I wonder how they fly.
I would say this last week as been like the opening lines in Tale of Two Cities," It was the best of times, it was the worst of times."
The best of times, is that Peter got a job back in our town. Yay, he starts in September. He will be moving back and I am so happy. I will be back to having two boys at home for awhile still yet.

The worst of times this week, is that while we were sleeping someone came in our backyard and went through our garage bathroom and into our garage and went though our cars. They went through the cabinets in the garage. They went through my shed outside. We still wonder what they were looking for as it seems so odd the things that were stolen. A very old BB gun, some blueberries and blackberries I had in the fridge. They took Ron's change he had in his car, but dropped it all over the porch. They broke in our truck outside, but left a dollar on the ground. They dropped the charger block they would use to charge their devices. They stole Ron's case for his glasses. They stole paint cans from my craft cupboard, but left them sitting on our trash cans in the back. It still feels like someone invaded though. They turned the light on in the outside bathroom, which shines in our bedroom which woke up Ron so he may have scared them off. Who knows. We will of course, be on guard. The funny thing was I had strawberries and raspberries in the back fridge but they didn't take them. Odd isn't it?


I am working on a fall rug. I even dyed wool this week. September is around the corner. We also lost one of our kitties last week. She was 20 years old. She died quietly in her box. I knew it was coming and I wasn't prepared how upset I got. She grew up with all of the kids and she was still hunting for mice in my chicken house until last week. She always acted more like a dog, than a cat. She came when you called and she followed me out or Ron out when ever we were outside. I am so glad she didn't suffer and I am so glad I didn't have to take her to be put to sleep.

I am so thankful though, that that person or persons didn't make it in the house. I am glad they only got stuff that doesn't matter. But the police say, they will be back. They were looking around. So it will be that we have to be even more on our game. The first thing though that came to my mind was this:
 “Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. (Matt. 6:19-21)


Its not the things I worry about but people. So that was my week. Good and bad, but all learning experiences. My heart sings in spite of it all because Peter is coming home. Ben and Megan are good, the Arizona people are good, all of the people who live here are good. Lots of challenges all of the time but God is always good, all of the time.

I send you blessings upon blessings from my house to yours,

~Kim~

"Keep looking up...the secret to life---Snoopy"

11 comments:

Pom Pom said...

It's so mysterious, the break in.
I bet you are tired of the garden with all the work it brings, but you will have all the lovely things you put by when it's cooler this winter. Yum Yum!
Yahoo for Peter coming home. So exciting.
Your sweet kitty had a happy life.
I bet you'll have that rug finished in no time.

Kerin said...

You've had an interesting week, with hills and valleys, that's for certain!
I'm so happy for you that Peter will be home again, and that all the kids are well, and that you and your husband are well.
Stuff is just stuff, though I can understand you feeling shaky at the thought that creeps invaded your home.
Sorry about your dear ol' cat. Happy that she went peacefully, and had a full of love filled life.

I meant to tell you that I think your rug is going to be gorgeous, as they always are!

Enjoy the rest of your weekend.
Think about getting two really, really big and ferocious dogs! ~LOL

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

Gracious! That really sounds like teenagers...not really sure what they wanted to steal. Maybe druggies, you never know. I would definitely be on guard. I'm so sorry about your kitty..and I am glad that she died peacefully. So many have medical issues and have to be put to sleep. I worry for my Katie...she has slowed down so much. Sending good thoughts your way- and lock those doors tight. Have a blessed Sunday.

Julia said...

It's never fun having our home invaded like that. I wonder what they were looking for. We had a bran new jack hammer stolen from the farm some years ago and because we had not written the serial number down, there was nothing the cops could do. Last year someone stole my heavy duty bypass and Anvil loppers that I left in the barn because my job wasn't finished and the next day, they were gone.

Maybe you can install that camera that you use to see the critters at night.

I'm glad that Peter is coming back to work in your area. It's always nice having family close by.

Take care and happy hooking.
Hugs, Julia

Susan Zarzycki said...

I have had a break in just once. They stole my large change jug and the vacuum cleaner. They came through the window over the sink which had been left unlocked and they left by the front door leaving it wide open! I was very upset because we slept through it all. Ever since then I am fanatical about checking locks before going to bed.

Sue said...

So sorry about the break-in , Kim, I will pray they won't be back. So happy that your son, peter is coming back, most of my family lives so far away. I am blessed though that our daughter lives nearby, but she is so busy with her new job, I rarely see her, thank goodness for cell phones.
I am so sorry about your kitty, my dog , Jack, has been gone a year this past week, I still miss him so much, he was with me almost 24/ 7.
I am happy you have had a normal summer weather wise, ours has been so that I am unable to spend very little time in my garden.
I am so looking forward to fall.
Have a great day.
Blessings,
Sue

Rugs and Pugs said...

So sorry about the break in. Awful to think they may return.
Great news about Peter :)

GretchenJoanna said...

Oh, dear, that is disturbing. I have never been invaded like that and it gives me the creeps!

I have never seen a bee carrying so much pollen!!

Bonnie K said...

I'm happy your son will be close. Your thief sounds like a hungry drunk. I also love you pollen laden bee. Your sunflowers are always so beautiful. Be safe.

Debbie said...

you are right kim, the best of times, the worst of times!! i thought what bonnie said, a hungry drunk...or maybe he was high. professional thieves don't steal stuff like he stole. how odd but still such a violation, good thing he did not get in the house!!!

my bees look exactly the same this time of year!!

Hill Top Post said...

I love your first paragraph. I also enjoy sitting under the trees and watching the comings and goings of the garden critters. My little Rubies (hummingbirds) are beginning to go which always makes me a bit sad. Hopefully, the invader won't come back. It doesn't seem he had much of a plan. All so upsetting though. I just stumbled onto your blog and find it so inviting.