Winter

Winter

Friday, March 8, 2019

Wet and Muddy March


I have to tell you this picture isn't from this year. For the first time in years and years, our trees are still asleep. I would say the past five years our trees would be blooming in the middle of February. I would just feel so hopeless about it because then the winds of March would come and so much of the fruit would be blown off. I am so glad they are still asleep. A few blooms here and there but not much else.


We had a huge rain storm the other night. All I need are a few ducks in my pond. It just amazes me how much rain we have had this year. I did notice when I walked out there this morning, I have some beets up and some potatoes. Its too wet to get out there right now. But that tells me the ground is beginning to warm up.

I had to take my tomatoes out of the bathroom/greenhouse. That is how I think of it now. They had reached the grow lights. Now I have to stake them up. Its too wet and to cold to put them out in the garden. This happens every year, I either get chicks too early or plant seeds to early. At least I haven't got my chicks this early yet.


They are going to live on my dining room table for a while. I have some more tomato seeds I want to get planted and some melon seeds. Ron was out of town for work this week, and he came home sick. All the guys he works with are sick too. Its that fever, aches and cough. So I can't go in and take pictures of the pepper and zinnia seedlings. It is amazing though. I have never grown anything in my life that well, I guess you could say, grew like that seed pack says. I have weeds because of all of the rain almost as tall as me. This is when I wish I had a herd of goats.

This was our sunrise the other morning. I thought it was just incredible and it proved the saying correct, because it was a terrific storm. We might have a dry day tomorrow.

I made this with some lemons to go in my tea. Here is the link
Just layer the lemons with sugar and press down and it makes the nicest lemon/sugar for hot tea.
I still have lemons and oranges coming out of my ears this year. I really need to jump on it and get the rest of the trees picked because the citrus trees are waking up. That never happens. The stone fruit trees are always first and this year they aren't.

I sat down at the computer so many times to write a blog, and poof, no idea what I was going to write about since all I do right now is dream of gardens and seeds and flowers. I guess its called spring fever.


I can never go wrong with Celia Thaxter and her wonderful garden.

These are some of my current reading materials. With Ash Wednesday and Fat Tuesday this week. I signed up to do a devotional with Max Lucado online. This is one of my favorite books to read on the lead up to Easter.
 That book Carrots Love Tomatoes has become one of my favorite reads. The lady who wrote it Louise Riotte is so knowledgeable and I really love to read and learn. I was lucky enough to get all of her books from the library.
The art work in my copy of An Island Garden by Celia Thaxter is just beautiful.

Here is my favorite poem by her.

"O happy, happy morning!
O dear, familiar place!
O warm, sweet tears of Heaven,
Fast falling on my face!
O well-remembered, rainy wind
Blow all my care away,
That I may be a child again
This blissful morn of May."
---Celia Thaxter

Gardens I think are the very best place to be and to have a wonderful ground in which to plant and dream and watch things grow. I wake up now with ideas of our garden on my mind.

I hope you have a lovely weekend, thank you for stopping by,
~Kim~

Dreaming of April---
Where is the face I long to see
Pictures of her in my mind
They say that she will soon return

I know she'll be here any day now
Just breezing into the room
Her sweet perfume can send my senses

Dreaming of April
Praying for her to arrive in all her finery
I'm dreaming of April
Maybe she'll linger this time
Turning to smile at me
These clouds of grey march in endless procession
I'm waking every day
Dreaming of April

I never know how blue the sky
Until the dark days came
These wistful words keep whispering

How much I used to take for granted
The beauty of her eyes
Till mine grew dim with winter, now I'm

Dreaming of April
Praying for her to arrive in all her finery
I'm dreaming of April
Maybe she'll linger this time
Turning to smile at me
When these days of grey march in endless procession
I'm waiting for a change
And dreaming of April

Out of the Grey- From the Album Gravity by Christine Dente

9 comments:

Julia said...

Oh my, your tomato plants are tall ... but let me tell you that it doesn't matter, as long as they don't get too root bound and dry up because it retards them...
I usually put mine in larger pots so the roots won't suffer as much and and if they are tall, I bury them deeper since they will root on the stem anyway.

We have so much snow on the ground it looks like we re in the middle of winter but it's only 12 days to official spring. It's supposed to start to warm up.

Today I have send for my seed order and I also ordered some blueberry bushes. I will have to prepare a place for them as my gardens are all full of perannials. I may have to uproot some and give them away.

For Lent I've been reading from the New Testament in my Holy Bible a lot and it fills me with so much joy. My life seems to be happier. I've also been praying more and I've been less on the computer.

Take care. I hope that you get good weather.
Hugs, Julia

Carol W. said...

Beautiful photo of the sunrise, such gorgeous colors! Your tomato plants look healthy. Not as much rain in AZ, but more than we're used to. I liked reading the poems ... spring is in the air! Hope Ron feels better soon!

GretchenJoanna said...

Oh my, the challenges and adventures of gardening!! Never anything quite the same, one year to the next. But so much fun! I know you feel the same way. Happy Wet March!! I wish I were nearer you as we float in the atmospheric river. XO

Rugs and Pugs said...

I bet come summer you would love some of that rain. It's either or famine, isn't it?
That sunrise was magnificent!!!

TheCrankyCrow said...

Would you mind terribly if we fast-forwarded to “Dreaming of June”?? I know well that we will be “white” yet come April....and....ahem....yet another storm due to hit this weekend. As well as I can entertain myself for extended periods of time, for some reason this winter is taking a toll on me. Seems like it is unending and nothing much good has come of it. I was looking forward to a warm getaway the end of the month with friends, and that has fallen through and I feel as though the happy has fallen out of my world. Hope the wet dries up....that’s a lot of rain...especially when you’re not accustomed to it. I can only imagine the flooding here when this stuff eventually does begin to melt. ~Robin~

Kessie said...

I hope you do lots more garden blogs! I love seeing the plants and wet dirt and everything.

Kerin said...

Hope Ron gets to feeling better...poor guy.
Your "greenhouse" has produced some wonderful starts...*smile*!

Lovely poems...thanks for sharing.
I too am wishing for April and hoping that April for us is warmer and less snowy than March has been.
March certainly has come in like a Lion!

Smiles:)
~K.

Debbie - Mountain Mama said...

Wow, look at those tomato plants - holy smokes they are huge!! Not time to start tomatoes here yet but I have started lots of flowers and herbs along with peppers, leeks, celery...I forget what else! I have three grow lights down in my lower level, and so far 8 flats of seedlings started. Woo hoo, spring is on the way!

Debbie said...

i love coming here, when you write about plants and gardening. i don't know why you keep saying your garden never grows well, i don't remember it that way. i remember that you have 2 green thumbs!!

the tomato plants look awesome, huge!! i got my seeds at the flower show, a different brand, i hope they do well!!

that sunrise was super special...a great way to brighten up "mud season"!!