Winter

Winter

Sunday, February 24, 2019

Looking Toward March


Good Morning my friends,
How does this wonderful day greet you? Its still cold, but this morning the meadowlarks were singing and I know that spring is not far off. Old Farmers Almanac said today our last day of frost is February 3rd. With all of the hard frost we had this week, I am so glad I didn't pay attention to that.


We planted more seeds yesterday. These will be flowers. Zinnias, Echinacea, and black eyed Susan.
We worked and were able to get one very muddy flowerbed cleaned. We have so much chickweed growing in them, so its good because I just feed it to my chickens. They love it.

My dining room table is full of potatoes, red, russet and purple.

We are between storms. I feel like we run out and do everything we can in a short amount of time and then we have to wait for the storm to go by. We have dry weather today through Tuesday. Then the storms start again until next weekend. It is a very wet year for us.

Yesterday I was waiting for it to warm up a bit so I decided to start a new counted cross stitch project. I have had this pattern for a few years now. I am trying to not buy new stuff before I finish up my old stuff. Its so hard though.

This is by Shakespeare Peddler.


I loved this because it was red work. I love red work and for years that was all I did. I could carry it in my purse and the kids would be in piano lessons or some kind of lessons I could wait and stitch. I like that to just be able to carry a few things and be able to keep my hands busy.

This isn't as big as His Eye is on the Sparrow, its only four pages. I think I can do it faster than three years. I was thinking as I stitched yesterday, I think after I am finished I will soak it in black walnut dye to make it look old. I really loved the color of this old sampler. 1838 is a long time ago.

When Peter came back from Cebu, in the Philippians. He brought back all of this coral. The beach he went to had coral and not sand. He thought it was so interesting so he brought some home for me. Then of course, Elliot who is the musical one, can play it by hitting it on each other and a table. All of it has a different tone, like glasses filled to different levels of water. It is also kind of eerie too. Isn't it nice to think that even something like coral can leave a sound?


Have you ever noticed how territorial hummingbirds are? This guy keeps himself so busy chasing other birds and other hummingbirds. He never misses anything. He sings his little song all of the time. Sitting in the tops of all of the different trees. I am sure there are more, but this one has the hottest pink stripe around his neck. I know there are others that have a green or a red stripe. This one is the only one I have ever seen with that hot pink.

I wish you a lovely day. The weather man says tomorrow may be 70. If it is, and I doubt it, I will open my house, for a little while and stay outside all day. I need sunshine. I can't even believe I am saying that how tired of the sun I was last fall.

Blessings to you, from our house to yours.

~Kim~

---The Book of Stillmeadow on Gardening...
"My heart goes out to beginners. The first year, while wheeling in squash by the wheelbarrow loads, we had exactly five and a half of strawberries. Now, after all the years they have been at it, Bob and Jill are both in the expert class. They know how many carrots grow from a package, and even I have learned that the size of a seed has little to do with what comes of it. And looking back over it on this wintry day, I realize that probably few things are so rewarding as gardens, no matter how many mistakes you make learning." Gladys Taber

16 comments:

Rugs and Pugs said...

I love your new sampler project! Be very careful about soaking it after finishing. I have been told red floss is notorious for running. That would be awful after all that work.
Very interesting about the coral.
Happy Sunday to you!

lil red hen said...

Your blog is so interesting to me; I've lived on a farm most of my 77 years. Of course our gardening has slowed down but we do still plant a few things. Nothing like good home grown veggies. My time is spent growing poultry and helping with the hay for our cattle. We've also had rain, rain, and more rain and fight the mud every day when we feed hay to the cattle.

Julia said...

I agree with Lauren about the possibility of the red thread bleeding if you try to antique it. Perhaps you should antique it before you do the cross stitch. I know it's probably not very easy to rip what you already sewed. It's a beautiful sampler pattern.

You have a good start on your plants. I hope the weather settles for the planting season. It's storming again this evening but only 24 days to spring. Daylight is getting longer every day.

I didn't know you could make musical sounds with corals. How interesting. I seem to lean new things every day.

Hugs, Julia


TheCrankyCrow said...

If I were where you are, I would take my shoes and (3 pairs of) socks off and wallow in the mud and rain LOL. We are in a blizzard again here.... With the winds (60 mph at times), it’s hard to be sure, but rumor has it we have had another 18” in the last 24 hrs. I could not open the doors this morning...or this afternoon....or tonight....the snow is drifted so. I am very weary of it....then I heard from my niece that their barn collapsed from the snow, despite their efforts to keep it shoveled.....and I feel bad for bemoaning my prison. I adore that sampler!!!!!!! EEEEK! But, LOL...My first thought too was the red will bleed!!! Rather than rip out what you’ve done and stain the fabric fist, why don’t you take a few stitches on a sample piece of linen and stain it to see??? I seem to have more problems with the red bleed when I steam press the piece after I am done....and then I pound my head against the wall. ;-). Please wallow in the mud for me.... Sunday Hugs ~ Robin

Sue said...

Your seedings are coming along so well, Kim,I haven't even started, sometimes our last frost is the last week of April so I am thinking maybe I should start the middle of March. anyhow I am so looking forward to spring, tomorrow is suppose to be sunny and mid 70's we shall see, it has been cold and raining all week.
I think I might just be outside most of the day~wink~
Our sheep pens are so muddy, we lost a Ewe Saturday, we think it was pneumonia with the damp cold rain so prolonged, when I was walking last week i heard her coughing so Dh started treating her, I guess it was just her time, I am thankful she did not have a lamb, that would have been so hard on the baby. She might just have been getting to old.
My hummingbirds will be back next month, I too am looking to see them, they are always so entertaining, and smart. If I am outside and they just happen to be out of food, they will hover over me to let me know they are hungry.
Sorry for such a long comment, but I so enjoy talking with you.
Have a great week gardening Dear Friend.
Sue

GretchenJoanna said...

We seem to have only one hummingbird! I don't think it is because he chases the others away - at least, I've never seen that sort of thing going on. But he has a full feeder to drink from. I haven't seen the Hooded Orioles there for a long time. He defers to them, such big birds compared to him!

Debbie said...

you have ignited my excitement for spring and fresh fruits and vegetables!! it is a little early for me to start my seeds, but soon i can start them indoors!!

i love any "portable" craft...that's why i enjoy knitting and crocheting, i can bring them with me!!!

Kerin said...

Hello there, sweet friend.
I love that gardening quote by Gladys; puts a smile in my heart!
Love seeing your little plants thriving. It seems that this growing season will be a great one for you guys.
I do hope you get the 70's and get to do some porch sitting!!
Your new cross stitch piece is very pretty.
You always do such beautiful work!!

Enjoy these last few days of February, and then onto a brand new month..YaY!!

~Smiles :)
~K.

Three Sheep Studio said...

Your seedlings look amazing, Kim !
Oh, to have 70 degree weather ! I can only wish.
Your redwork project is beautiful. Always good to have needlework to pick up.
Rose

Kessie said...

I love seeing all the pictures! There's a couple of hummingbirds around here, too. They stake out a hummingbird feeder and fight other hummingbirds to the death for it. It's hilarious. I've seen them chasing doves, too. The doves look so confused. :-D

Carol W. said...

The red roses are lovely! I'm glad to see your seedlings are doing well. I also learned something new about coral (at first, it looked like some kind of bones, lol). Peter has had some great travels. I haven't seen any hummingbirds here yet (I guess it's too cold), just the usual mourning doves & mockingbird so far. Have a blessed week, Kim!

acorn hollow said...

wonderful post we are so buried in snow there will be no planting for a long time yet.
cathy

Pom Pom said...

I'm so proud of you for finishing His Eye is on the Sparrow!
Look at those lovely sprouts! Yay! I have to wait so much loooooooooonger. Whine. Whine.
You are a busy farm girl, Kim!

Debbie said...

last visit i did not mention the hummingbird, the picture is awesome!!!! and yes, that is their behavior!!!

Debbie - Mountain Mama said...

I'm new to your blog, but just subscribed - can't wait to follow along with your gardening. I have seeds started in my utility room, but our last frost date isn't until late May so they aren't going anywhere soon. Meanwhile I shall live vicariously through you!

Sara at Come Away With Me said...

Hello there! One more day and March will be here. Can you believe it....spring is arriving. Like you, we've been grateful for all the rain, and also that it comes in waves, with times in between to dry out a little bit. I look forward to seeing how March shapes up for you and your garden. All the best to you. Sara