Winter

Winter

Friday, December 29, 2017

Now That Christmas is Past.


The boxes are all packed for another year. The paper and ribbon and tape have all gone out to the cans at the road. The new year is looming closer and closer. My new calendars are waiting to replace the tired ones of 2017. I didn't know that in 2017 my life would change so radically. I know I say that every year. It was a good year I think. Some of the highlights were these.


Ron started a new job with a commute of of 100 miles each day. Not as bad as some people. It was a change for us. We are up every morning at 4:30. He is on call 24 hours a day. He had to learn how a 200 million dollar water plant works. He is still learning. We became members of a church. That was big. We had not attended a local body of believers in 20 years. We did home church when the kids were all at home. Now we are in a building. I am still going to my Bible Study which I still love, its all so different though.


Ben and Megan are going on their adventure in 2018. I spent a whole lot of 2017 trying to let go and be content with the way God is leading not only us, but each and everyone of our children and their families. Ryan and Kessie ended up relocating to Tucson so he could begin a new job. It has ended up being a huge blessing and I realized that my plans and hopes are not always the best idea so its better for God to be the one who directs their lives and I need to not only keep my mouth shut and my hands open, but to just mind my own business and get out of the way. That was a hard lesson. Still one I will learn the rest of my life.


I think William and Makenzie spent more time in airports and airplanes than they did on the ground in good ole Bakersfield. They did some amazing things this year. They even published a wonderful magazine. I still need to show you pictures of that.


Emilie and Nik are just as busy with Nik being the high school pastor at Church. They are both in full time service. It boggles my mind to see how they have grown as a couple and continue to love their jobs and the place they are at now.


The two young men I still have at home will be flying the coop soon. They both have lovely girl friends that I hope they will become my daughter in laws. Do you know that when the last two get married I will have six sons and six daughters? Isn't that incredible? Hopefully, more grand babies too. Wink, wink. So my plate is full, my blessings overflowing in my lap. I end 2017 feeling so thankful and grateful so in awe of the life Ron and I began in 1980. Ron had a quote for me this morning. "Easy choices: Hard life. Hard choices: Easy life."  As I think about our choices, nothing is easy. But its all been worth it. Every Single One.


Ron was telling me about how he read that people's failings changed their lives the most. I sat there pierced through my soul as he said that. I started crying and I have still never told him why. It was because of the biggest failure of my life. One of the darkest days of my whole life. One that haunts me and dogs my steps every single day. As he said that, I realized, if not for that huge failure, none of my life would be possible today. Not anything. I realized for the first time. My failure was the first step in changing my life for the good. Brokenness became for me the crumbs God could change into something for good.

I think this will be my last post for 2017. It has been a good year. I will still be walking each day and every hour. That has brought the biggest personal change to my life. I will have to give you a final total next week. But it has showed me that a single goal every day can change my life in big ways by the end of the year.
Thank you for staying with me this year. You have been a blessing to my life. I never dreamed I could make such wonderful friends that live in this great world of ours.
I wish you the best 2018

Happy New Year!
Welcome 2018

~Kim~

Not here ever!

  This my song though endless ages,
Jesus led me all the way.
And again they said, Hallelujah!
(Rev. 19:3
He leads us on by paths we did not know;
Upward He leads us, through our steps be slow,
Though oft we faint and falter on the way,
Through storms and darkness oft obscure the day;
Yet when the clouds are gone,
We know He leads us on.

14 comments:

peggy said...

May next year be so blessed. Thank you for sharing this morning.

Debbie said...

I LOVED reading of all your lessons and blessings for you and your family as you journeyed through 2017. It's funny that you thought of having 6 sons and 6 daughters, because that very same thing occurred to just recently. Only I have 4 sons, and 4 daughters. And sooo blessed in the grandchild department. Wishing you and yours all the best in 2018!

Latane Barton said...

Kim, I loved reading about your year and how at peace you seem to have become. Life is a struggle. It's how we meet each challenge that defines us. I pray for continued blessings for you for 2018.

Julia said...

Wow, your year in review has been amazing. Things are really looking bright for your future. Wishing you continued blessings for the New Year.

It's been great following your blog. I'm still not posting on my blog as for some reason I lost my security https when I had difficulty with my old computer. My daughter tried to get back my blog working and when she did, it had only the http. which means not secure...

Hugs, Julia

Sara at Come Away With Me said...

This is so beautiful Kim.

Empty Nester said...

You have to move over here. I would love to spend everyday talking with you. So many things we share. Such a beautifully written post, my friend. I'm wishing only the best that 2018 has to offer for you! Happy New Year to you and that wonderful, talented, loving family of yours!

Rugs and Pugs said...

Thanks for sharing! You are truly blessed.
Happy, happy New Year to you and all your loved ones.
xoxo
Lauren

Debbie said...

we are blessed...loving and letting go, it's so difficult!!

i hope 2018 is wonderful for you and your family!!!

Debbie said...

i forgot to say how much i enjoyed your images!!!

Pom Pom said...

Happy New Year already!
Just keep on walking, good Kim. Maybe I should. I SHOULD! We'll see if I do.
Ron has a BIG job. It sounds like a good fit, though.
Blessings to you and all of yours! Love love!

Bonnie K said...

I am very happy for you. Your children sound wonderful. It makes me satisfied to know there is a good strong marriage out there. People don't celebrate that enough. I enjoy your blog immensely and appreciate the things you make me think about. I hope you have a happy and healthy 2018.

Buttons Thoughts said...

Happy New Year Kim. I loved to read your lessons. Ron's quote "Easy choices: Hard life. Hard choices: Easy life." hit home. Take care Hug B

GretchenJoanna said...

Happy New Year, Dear Friend! 2017 was certainly momentous for you -- I guess some years have more milestones or changes that are easy to mark and to talk about publicly, and some years a lot goes on more privately inside, and some years fly by without us taking the time to assess anything! At least, it seems to me....

I pray your upcoming year is just as rich in God's grace and blessing!

Sue said...

What a wonderful, beautiful post Kim, As I read, I reminisced with you, 2017 was a momentous year for you and your family, I so relate to the letting go, one of the hardest things a parent can do, especially a mother. I sometimes think we really don't, though we try.
Olivia Walton told John that parenting was a lifetime sentence. ~smile~
Wishing you much continued joy and happiness in this New Year! Thank you for your friendship, and for your always thoughtful and encouraging comments.
Blessings,
Sue