Winter

Winter

Thursday, June 16, 2016

Thankful Thursday

I just had to write today. I am so thankful for this morning. Its cool and the ocean breeze is still blowing through. It feels like a resort and with all of the windows and doors open it is such a pretty day. The weathermen are predicting "historic heat wave." It makes this cool breeze that much nicer.

I bound my two latest rugs. I did something that I have never done before. A mistake that I am glad and I hope to never repeat.

I was binding my flag rug.
I had this very nice blue wool that I decided to use. I got the whole rug bound except for maybe an inch or a inch and a half. No more yarn. It was such a different kind of blue, I knew there was no way I could ever match it. I had bought it from a lady who was no longer rug hooking and she had bought it in the early 2000s.
For two days, I thought about it, then on Sunday morning, I decided, I would just take all of binding out and start over. That is what I did. I will now never bind a rug unless I have more than enough matching yarn. I have read so many hooking books, and you know I have never run across that in them. I just don't know if I am the only one who ever did it. I learned a good lesson though.

Having Ron draw out my patterns is really a good thing. I don't think my rugs have ever had such a straight edge before. He really is good at drawing them out. Much more careful than I am.

Last night, I didn't hook. My brain is tired and so are my hands. I need a new project, but something that doesn't require me to think. I start feeling like I can't settle down. Hooking helps keep my mind quiet and my hands busy. I really do like keeping my hands busy.

Our charge card got stolen online again. I do wish I knew how this happens. Our bank has really good security though. On June 8th someone got it and tried to buy two mountain bikes and extra tires. The security company for our bank caught it and declined it. Ron had that nagging feeling and he checks our bank all of the time so he did and sure enough, there it was. The really nice thing this time was, I had bought paint and went to the grocery store. They had let my charges go through. So I didn't look like a idiot in the store. I told Ron we must be really boring people. The bank knows we would not be buying mountain bikes in the middle of the night. We always have to call them when we are going anywhere or if we are going to do something different out of our normal pattern. It made me wonder if it is that way with most people. I wonder if there is one of those card reader things on a machine at Lowes. That is the only thing I did different. I normally pay cash but I didn't that time.

I wanted to tell you about my learning experience. While I have been painting when I start to get tired, I put on my ear buds and listen to my Ipod. On the Blue Letter Bible they have been up loading messages from Elisabeth Elliot, one she gave in the past. I have 10 on my Ipod now. I listen to them over and over. One day, she was talking about the verse. From Philippians 4:19
" But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus."
She went on to say that " All means All." When the charge card got stolen, I thought about how without me knowing, God was taking care of me. Lately every time I feel my heart getting anxious about things, I find my mind running back to that verse and I pray a prayer as I lean on that idea that nothing has ever surprised God. So if I am in the safe in the arms of a loving Father, then whatever He allows is for my good and His glory. Its just something I have been pondering as I paint and think about. I thought I would share it with you.
Not very deep thought on the state of the world, but I know that I don't need to have all of the answers. God does, and I am trying very hard to be what I was called to be. "A older woman who admonishes the younger women to love their husbands and to love their children." (Titus 2:3-4)

Thank you for stopping by today, I hope you are all having a lovely summer day.

~Kim~

" How sad and tragic this is that there not more Christian men and woman of the golden age who are serious about taking up the burdens of the younger ones. The world is desperate for examples, for models."
---From Aging: The Forbidden Topic, Elisabeth Elliot

6 comments:

Pom Pom said...

What a bummer about your credit card. Scary!
I love your rugs! They are both very cute. Running out of wool is NO FUN. Remember "No more twist?" from BP?
I hope you have a lovely remains of the day, sweet Kim. Float in the pool?

Gumbo Lily said...

Hearing about you running out of binding yarn makes me think of the times when I come to binding a quilt and realize I don't have enough of anything to bind. That's when I get creative and piece together binding with all the scraps I have from the said quilt. I always like it better (I think) than if I had one color of fabric.

We're getting your heat wave here. Just about done in the hay fields. We've had a few cool mornings and it really does give me a happy heart.

TexWisGirl said...

i am grateful for the credit card companies' diligence in refunding fraudulent charges. love your flag rug. enjoy your breeze while you have it.

Christine said...

I have done something similar when cross stitching & just frogged it too! Lesson learned!
Your flag rug is gorgeous!
Painting is a perfect time to ponder & pray!

Debbie said...

in knitting, i have learned so much from the mistakes i have made....it is beautiful and perfect for summer with all it's patriotic holidays!!!

the mornings are cool here and i enjoy and appreciate them. it heats up quickly and we are starting to have 90's!!

credit card companies are amazing these days....i think we have all experienced problems at one time or another!!!

Janettessage.blogspot.com said...

I am laughing at they must think you are boring because you won't buy bikes! LOL Thanks for the piece on Elliott, I am reading one of her books right now. I need to download what you are listening to. Yes, heat wave hit us this week!!! Hugs