Winter

Winter

Saturday, March 25, 2017

Flowers and Chicks.


I think raindrops on any kind of flower is as nice as "Raindrops on Roses."  I am on a roll, or "Raindrops On My Head." At least it isn't Rainy Day and Mondays right? Okay I will stop. I woke up singing I'm A Wanderer, but I only know the first part of that. I guess I need to look it up on You Tube.

How are you this morning? We have a "passing shower." You know that saying, "Rain before seven is gone by eleven." That will be our day I think. Just nice spring rain. I took some pictures of my chicks. Not good pictures mind you. I went in to clean their cage and I had my camera so I took a few pictures. They don't sit still like flowers do. So here it goes.


These two are bantams. I think the taller one is going to be a Barred Bantam Cochin. I think.
The little guy next to him is also a bantam and just guessing it could be a light Brahma Bantam.
As the bantams are getting bigger I spend all of this time staring at pictures of Bantam chicks online.
I guess the game I am playing is guess that breed.


 This is the bravest and cutest chicken of all. As soon as the door is open, she runs to be first and to be held first. Sometimes she gets a little over zealous and completely misses and ends up on the floor. I have no clue what they are but I think they will look like Red Stars when they are hens.


Not a very good picture but this one has me just wondering what on earth they are. I think I have a pair. I think this one is the rooster. The hen looks like a tiny dove. They are the color of doves. I call them my little birdy's. Just guessing but I think they are called. Old English Self Blue Bantams.


To the left is the one that I think will be the little hen. I could have nothing but Bantams. Except I need big hens for the eggs. I wish I could have this whole place filled with chickens, ducks, peacocks and guineas. I also would like a bunch of geese. Have you ever read the book by Gene Stratton Porter called Laddie?
I think I would like a place like that. Lots of fowl.

In the spring Farm Girl which is me becomes my dominate personality. When it gets to hot I go back to being the hooking-sewing- girl. I can't stand to be in the house when the new leaves are on the trees, the birds are singing and the grass is greening up. Every where I look there is something new to look at. I really have been thinking I wish I had a tree house. To climb up and lay on my back and feel the wind rocking the tree and listen to the trees talking to themselves and watch the dappled sunlight drift among the branches.

I have to remember, I am a mother of six, grandmother of nine. In the spring though, I forget it and become that girl who I really am inside. Just me. Not the grown up me I have become.

Thank you so much for stopping by out of your busy schedule and for reading this silly thing that is my blog.
It is a honor for me.

Have a wonderful and exciting day.

~Kim~

It really seems as if failure and hardship make more of a human being of folks than success.  
---Gene Stratton Porter


10 comments:

Pom Pom said...

You really are a farm girl! A good one!
I dread the hot weather, too. I keep thinking that I need to have a better attitude about being outside in the heat and getting dirty. I don't like to get dirty.
Your gardens are going to be so lovely and all the rain will make it less stressful.
You're like Anne. So sweet.

Rugs and Pugs said...

I for one, enjoy your blog immensely!
Always happy to see a new post.
Happy to hear you are still getting rain!!!
Chicks are growing! It's amazing how quickly they grow.
Happy Saturday :)
Lauren

Gumbo Lily said...

Hi Kim! I don't know anything about Bantams and am wondering why you choose them for your chickens? I'm assuming they lay eggs for you. The blossoms all around you are fabulous.

I'm a ranchgirl and prefer to be outdoors more than anything. I've been doing some raking up and digging grass out from between the tulip and daffodil spears. We're expecting rain tomorrow, I think!

I'm a GSP fan too and Laddie was one of those books I tended to read every summer in years past. I haven't picked it up in a long time.

~Jody

Julia said...

Your little chicks does bring you a lot of joy. How old will they get their identity plumage when you can tell what kind of Bantams they are?

I get a giggle from you wanting to be a young girl up in a tree house, laying on your back listening to the trees talking. You almost sound like Anne of Green Gable.

I used to lay on a blanket on the grass and look at the clouds when I was young. I could see all kind of cloud creatures. I had a good imagination. What fun...

Hugs,
Julia

GretchenJoanna said...

Your chicks are growing by leaps and bounds!

I haven't read any GSP except Girl of the Limberlost, but I have a collection on my Kindle, which I am pretty sure includes Laddie. It sounds like one I might like to read soon. Thanks for the mention.

Bonnie K said...

Love the chicken photos. You have quite a few. It has been difficult to stay indoors here. I was out most of the day. It feels good to take and scratch the soil.

Empty Nester said...

Loved this post, Kim. I know, I say that a lot but I always mean it. :) The song in my head when I awoke goes like this: Down by the bay, where the watermelons grow, back to my home, I dare not go...Remember that one from Raffi. Yep, Baby M and I listen to Raffi and I can't get his songs out of my head. Yesterday's awakening song was, Six little ducks that I once knew... Good grief. Those little CHICKS! Oh goodness they are adorable! My friend who teaches 5th grade has been putting pictures up of the chickens that have hatched in her classroom. They are so stinkin' cute. She takes them home eventually. Have a wonderful Sunday!

acorn hollow said...

Oh I can't wait until we get there. we are still under the snow. How wonderful to feel renewed with the spring.. Love you cute chicks.
Cathy

Three Sheep Studio said...

Your peeps are very special ! Spring is the best. I love hearing the birds chatter as they go home to roost at the end of the day !! A sure sign that warmer weather is here.
Rose

Debbie said...

awww the farm girl, not the grown up girl, i like that!! beautiful purple today and those chick stories are the best. i would be flying out first too if i were a chicken chick!!!