Winter

Winter

Saturday, May 28, 2016

Slow Cooker Macaroni and Cheese

I hope you are having a nice weekend so far. Its kind of cloudy here today, but the house is open and it is very nice way to have a morning.
I know I don't share recipes very much but there are times when I find one that I think is outstanding. I thought I would share this one with you.

One of my sons asked me the other day could I make home made macaroni and cheese? I had all of the ingredients just not the know how. Its not something I make. I found this lovely recipe for Slow Cooker Macaroni and Cheese.

Slow Cooker Mac 'n' Cheese Recipe

Slow Cooker Mac 'n' Cheese Recipe

This classic casserole is a rich and cheesy meatless main dish. I've never met anyone who didn't ask for second helpings of this slow-cooked mac & cheese. —Bernice Glascoe, Roxboro, North Carolina
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Cook: 3-3/4 hours YIELD:10 servings

Ingredients

  • 1 package (16 ounces) elbow macaroni
  • 1/2 cup butter, melted
  • 4 cups (16 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
  • 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
  • 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cheddar cheese soup, undiluted
  • 1 cup 2% milk
  • 2 large eggs, beaten
  • 1/8 teaspoon paprika

Directions

  • 1. Cook macaroni according to package directions; drain. Place in a 5-qt. slow cooker; add butter. In a large bowl, mix 3 cups cheese, evaporated milk, condensed soup, 2% milk and eggs. Pour over macaroni mixture; stir to combine. Cook, covered, on low 3-1/2 to 4 hours or until a thermometer reads at least 160°.
  • 2. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Cook, covered, on low 15-20 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Sprinkle with paprika. Yield: 10 servings. 

Of course I have to tell you what I changed. I used sharp Cheddar cheese. I also didn't have any evaporated milk. I had whole milk so I just used that. I did have the can of soup which surprised me, but as I was making it I thought it might be nice to add a can of celery soup or cream of mushroom sometime. When it is the first time I have cooked it I do try to adhere to the original recipe. I also added a half of teaspoon of ground mustard. I was feeling pretty anxious when I put it in the crock pot because it was so liquid. I shouldn't have worried because when I checked it, it was perfect just the way macaroni and cheese should be.

Once a week lately I have been putting chicken breasts in my slow cooker and I put a can of Rotel tomatoes and then the chicken breasts on top, I sprinkle the chicken with two packs of taco seasoning. I should make my own, but it is so nice having those little packets.  Cook them for five hours on high and then shred it. I have it on hand for tacos, burritos, fajitas, chicken salad and since the boys around here like meat they put this chicken in the macaroni and cheese. I noticed that every couple of hours that night the boys would come down and fill a plate. That was after dinner.


I am working outside so much right now, it is easy to have these kinds of meals on hand. This time of year I start my Fourth of July cooking sessions. I start trying new recipes I might want to use then. I think that this Macaroni and Cheese recipe would be one I might use as a side dish with the hamburgers and hot dogs. 

Now I should get outside and do some of that outside work. We are supposed to have a week of over 100 degree days starting next week. I need to get as much outside work done as I can before then. My little garden of tomatoes and peppers loves this hot weather. I am still keeping my fingers crossed for an ice age.

Have a lovely day,
~Kim~

I loved this so much, I just had to share it here.

“Sunday, January 27, 1884. -- There was another story in the paper a week or so since. A gentleman had a favourite cat whom he taught to sit at the dinner table where it behaved very well. He was in the habit of putting any scraps he left onto the cat's plate. One day puss did not take his place punctually, but presently appeared with two mice, one of which it placed on its master's plate, the other on its own.”
― Beatrix Potter, Beatrix Potter's Journal

13 comments:

Rugs and Pugs said...

I LOVE mac and cheese!!! I will have to try that recipe. Thanks for sharing. Chicken idea is great, too.
Happy Memorial Day weekend to you.
Hugs :)
Lauren

Kim said...

Yummy! It's hard to go wrong with recipes from Taste of Home.

Pom Pom said...

Yummy! What a great recipe! Thank you for sharing it!
Whoa! That's HOT weather coming your way. I hope you float in the pool.

Kessie said...

Oh man, I've just found my recipe for lunch tomorrow. The kids keep asking for homemade mac, and I haven't wanted to bother with the prep. :-)

acorn hollow said...

I have been trying to find a good and easy mac and cheese recipe and how easy is this in the crock pot
Love the Beatrix potter quote.
Cathy

Gumbo Lily said...

Sounds like a good recipe. The fact that the boys kept coming back for more tells the truth! Loved the BP quote.

Debbie said...

i just made a very similar mac and cheese for my great nieces, very similar. i was nervous about using canned soup, that just did not seem right but i used it anyway. i didn't use the slow cooker, i cooked the pasta, added the cheese sauce, then just finished it in the oven. it was good, i like martha stewarts better....but my girls loved it!!! i added nutmeg, my recipe used regular milk.

gorgeous blooms today kim, it's too early for hydrangeas here but my plants are looking very healthy!!!!

enjoy the rest of the weekend!!!!

Bonnie K said...

Both recipes sound delicious. I will have to give it a try. Thanks for the Potter story! Hope you are enjoying the outdoor projects as much as I am.

Three Sheep Studio said...

Your chicken recipe sounds just perfect !!!
Thanks for sharing your Mac and cheese recipe. Love the mouse story at the end.
Have a wonderful holiday weekend.
Rose

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

What an easy mac n cheese recipe! I'd give it a try, but yikes! 10 servings? I'll share it with DD ... with a family of 4 swimmers, there won't be any leftovers. Ha!

Debbie said...

Good morning! My dil makes a WONDERFUL homemade mac and cheese [in her crock pot too] which serves as a side dish on almost every family get together we have...and it's ALWAYS one of the most popular dishes and ALWAYS completely gone, lol. She started it originally for the kids but found that all the adults were fighting over it too, lol. I don't know her recipe but have a feeling it's similar to this one..soo good. Don't think we are supposed to hit 100 yet, but you know the heat is a coming..lol.
Enjoy your holiday!



1

Joy said...

Hi Kim, your flowers are fantastic. I also love that Beatrice Potter quote. Could you post the exact ingredients/procedure of your chicken breasts in the crock pot? Like how many breasts? It sounds like a good meal for summer--no oven! Thanks, Joy

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

Ooh, the shredded chicken sounds delish! I saw a good recipe for mac and cheese the other day- it had crushed goldfish on the top..I've got to try that!