Winter

Winter

Monday, January 1, 2024

Happy 2024


 Happy New Year! Since I missed so much of 2023, I decided to start fresh. I hope this finds you on this  first day in January in a wonderful place.

I have sat down to write posts. Lots of posts. Which I then delete. Sometimes they sound to snarky, or to whiny. Today, I will just write. Because I do miss blogging. 

What is my takeaway from 2023? Was it a crazier year that the three years that preceded it? No, I don't think so I think anymore life is just full of surprises at every turn. 

I was thinking what were my favorite things of 2023? Getting a travel trailer was a favorite and using it and staying at our out of town kids houses. Getting to visit with our grand children for longer periods of time. One of my other favorite things was going to Arkansas and staying at the Ron Coleman mine and digging for quartz. Even though, I got dirtier than I have ever been in my life, it was fun and I look forward to doing it again. 

Life threw some curve balls. Lots of curve balls. Things I didn't even begin to understand. But as John Bunyan said, from Pilgrims Progress, " I am on the bottom, and the ground is still firm. 

Today I was looking at my Kindle and I found that in 2023 on the Kindle I had read 131 books. That doesn't count the other stacks of books I read that were real books. I am pretty proud of that. I listened to 20 C.J. Box books. My favorite book character  right now is Joe Pickett. I call them Men romance novels. Big guns, hunting, fishing and lots of action. I wish it didn't have so many curse words in it, but being a girl and all. One of my favorite pictures was this one.


 

So when this showed up on my Facebook. I just had to snap it. Nate in the book has a 454 Casul. So when C.J. Box got one from Freedom Arms, I was so excited to finally see one. Tell me, isn't that an awesome handgun? It even has his name on it. I sew or hook listening to these books. Go figure. I don't fly fish, I don't hunt, and I don't live in Wyoming. I never even killed a chicken to eat. The last time I fished, I was cleaning the fish and she was full of eggs, and it made me so sick, I never fished again. So no clue why I am such a big fan. Speaking of hooking.


My two latest projects. The winter house is called Christmas Cabin by Therese Shick. Wool'n Gardener.

The one above it is called, Friends, by Crow Creek Farms. I bought both off of Etsy. 

Today, on Lauren's post, she said, a hookers resolution is not to buy wool. I had to laugh because last year, I bought patterns. Lots of patterns. I suppose so I could listen to Joe Pickett. So no new patterns until February.  Speaking of Lauren. She sent me the most wonderful bag. Every time I get my hook out of it I think of her. She sent it about the time I got sick. So I never said, to her Thank you so much for it.


Lauren is so faithful and she continues to always bless my life. Her wonderful blog is, Rugs and Pugs.

Yeah, so I won't go into being sick but I got sick on October 6th and didn't get well until Thanksgiving. So I lost a few months in there. I think now, our entire family was sick from August, until December. 

Well, just a bit of things. I will have further updates hopefully not months apart. Ron is going to school right now. So it feels like we are always doing something now. 

I wish you all a wonderful New Year, 2024. Who knows what the future holds. 

~Kim~


" Lord, give toe me a quiet heart

That does not ask to understand,

But confident steps forward in

The darkness guided by Thy hand."

---Elisabeth Elliot---Keep a Quiet Heart.

" Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding;

in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6




9 comments:

Kessie said...

If I can keep blogging about the dumb books I read, you can, too! I laughed and laughed at the guy with the handgun, that is awesome. I'm sitting here wondering if I ought to do a Jan 1st resolutions post, myself, since I don't really have that many. At least do posts about things you make! You have so many rugs! Even doing rugaversaries would be cool. :-D

Bonnie K said...

I'm not going to lie; I have missed your posting. I am so impressed with the number of books you have read! I was proud that I had read 13! My husband is a huge Joe Picket fan. I'm afraid I am very random with what I read. Your rugs look fabulous. I think the travel trailer would make visiting relatives nice. Happy New Year!

Pom Pom said...

Yay for a blog post! You've never told me about that Wyoming guy you like to listen to! You HAVE read a lot of books! Hooray! Happy New Year, sweet friend!

Saundra said...

I used to read a lot but don't anymore as I'd rather hook and can't hold a book and a hook at the same time. But when I did read they were military/war books and Tony Hillerman western mysteries. Seal Team was one of my favorite TV shows. So seems we are kindred spirits.
Love the winter house mat you hooked, and Lauren IS a gem!
Have missed your posts too and wish Joe picketts shows were on Netflix!
Happy New Year.
Saundra

acorn hollow said...

So great to see you post but very sad you have all been sick.
Lauren is so generous and sweet I love your bag. Great rugs also. I have not read as much 8n the past few months but I certainly never read that much!
Have a wonderful new year.
Cathy

Rugs and Pugs said...

Re-read the resolution. Buy no more patterns or wool...said no hooker ever...lol!
Happy you and your family are on the mend.
Love both of your hooked pieces.
That is quite an impressive number of books!!!
Come back again...real soon. You have been missed.

Gretchen Joanna said...

I also have missed your posting -- but it's understandable when you have been so sick. Lord, have mercy! I hope you can return to blogging more often and get the satisfaction that writing brings :-)

Your rugs are beautiful, and I like Kessie's idea of posting about rugs you made in the past, which could be a memory/writing prompt right there, if all the Now things are too complicated to write about.

It's wonderful that you have found so many books that are enjoyable to read while you are hooking. What I do when I have the right kind of book is stay on the treadmill longer, or clean the kitchen more thoroughly! No other activities free up my mind enough to listen.

Happy New Year, Kim!

TheCrankyCrow said...

Awww, I am so very sorry you had such a prolonged illness Kim. I hope it was nothing that has long-term effects and that you've fully recovered. Love your newest rugs. I am glad you've found time to and motivation to hook. Me, not so much. I haven't even managed to bind the couple I finished last year. But, read, yes...I read. I'd be afraid to count the number. I wish I could adapt to audio books or even kindle-type books but I just can't. I have to feel the pages in my hands. Unfortunately, there will come a day when my basement can hold no more. Hope your 2024 is full of beauty and magic....and peace. ~Robin~

annie said...

I am sad to hear how sick you were! I can relate a bit, last year I got rsv, covid, strep, the flu, sinus infection and smoke inhalation from a big outdoor fire. All between the end of August up until after the new year. I honestly did not think I would ever stop coughing 24 hrs. a day for months. I know the Lord kept me or I would not have made it through all that.
But there is light beyond dark places. I liked your photos! I hope you have a wonderful blessed New Year's. annie