Winter

Winter

Monday, December 6, 2021

Happy December!


 I know its been months since I last blogged. I can never remember why I don't blog and then I sit at the computer and I remember. My pictures are so messed up on my computer it takes me hours to upload and then by the time I have done that, I can't remember what I sat down here to write. I really do have lots of posts that just sit there and never go anyplace. I decided that since I am waking up at 4:30 and writing posts its time I did it for real even if it takes me hours.

 I know that in January at the beginning of 2021 I started of the year by saying. 

I was going to be" enchanted by the unexpected." Truthfully, I did try to live that way, but then the unexpected took over and it left me just trying to keep my footing. 

I think it became more like this. " Sometimes you have to let go of the picture of what you thought life would be like and learn to find joy in the story you are living." 


I have tried to focus on the joy in the moment and let those things I thought were so important just go and focus on the bits are just so good. 

1. Laughter

2. Family

3. Health

Sometimes it means saying no to things that I thought were good and embracing the hard things that come my way. Because in those moments, joy overwhelms me and I can just feel like dancing.

I did make some rugs. I will show them to you just so you can see I do hook. 




They were fun, to finish and to have them out on the floor.  Thanksgiving was nice. As per usual, I made too much food. 
Now to December. 
Here are a few things I have been making. 



I also made those mercury looking ornaments. I really liked making those. I have wanted to forever. I wish I had made more. They turned out just like I wanted. Which is rare for me. To like what I make and not want to change it. I am learning the hard way, make it and just leave it alone. We planted pansies and snapdragons last weekend. I wasn't very happy about getting on my hands and knees in the wet mud, but when I pulled in the driveway yesterday, I loved seeing all of the happy flowers in my flowerbed. 


One of my favorite things this year is still my mantel. I wish I could show you how much I fool with it. Its like my favorite job in the whole world. I think it was worth moving just to have this fireplace. 

I just wanted to drop in and tell you, yes, I am still around. Now onto the one thing I haven't finished is decorating the Christmas tree. Our two youngest sons, bought a house. They will be moving next week and they are going to take my piano and my dining room table. I am so excited. That dining room table is too big for my dining room and they bought a really big house so they have room. Empty or almost empty rooms really make me happy and let my mind dream. I will start haunting antique stores looking at old farm tables if I can find one. Or maybe I can talk Ron into making me one. Wink, Wink. 

Have a wonderful happy new week in December. 

~Kim~


"If we had no winter, the spring would not be so pleasant: if we did not sometimes taste of adversity, prosperity would not be so welcome.” — Anne Bradstreet

I read an old book by Anne Bradstreet this fall. I really liked her, even if history has not been kind to her. She was a courageous woman who was judged harshly by her peers. 


10 comments:

Saundra said...

I'm glad when you sat down at the computer this time you remembered to blog. Enjoyed seeing your hooked pieces and the crafts you made. Hope you won't be a stranger.

acorn hollow said...

So glad to see you post. I keep a notebook by my chair so if I think of things to blog about I write it down. You have been busy and yes life can sure throw some curve balls
Merry Christmas
Cathy

Angela said...

Oh so good to hear from you dear Kim!

I am at the same stage where life didn't turn out quite like I thought but there is always joy if you look!

Your snow men are adorable!

Was the Anne Bradstreet book poetry?

Merry Christmas to you!

Kessie said...

I'm so glad to see you post! I've been posting everywhere but my blog, seems like. I'm so glad they bought a house! That is amazing!

TheCrankyCrow said...

Well hello you!!! I have missed you! It was so very good to see a post from you show up. I have been meaning to message you to see how you are keeping but life, here too, has thrown me a few curve balls. Those red leaves (?) are gorgeous!!! And yes, snapdragons are some of my all-time favorite flowers. I can't imagine planting and seeing flowers this time of year LOL. Yesterday we had 6" or more of snow...today a ferocious wind....and a (low) temp of -11. I've ready for for spring. ;-) Wow...you have hooked A LOT!! Love them all but my favorite is the crow/cat Halloween one. Absolutely LOVE!!! That sign on your mantel is AHHMAZING!!!!!!! Where, on earth, did you find it?? Or did your creative little hands make that too??? ~Robin~ (PS...I love Anne Bradstreet...what a fascinating figure she was in such a challenging time.)

Rugs and Pugs said...

So happy to see a post from you!
Your hooking projects are all wonderful.
Those snowmen are too cute and your mercury look bulbs look like the real thing.
Congrats to your boys. I can't believe men so young could possibly afford a house in California. I don't know how anyone can afford a house in California...lol. Yeah for them.
Hoping to see a post from you again soon.

Gretchen Joanna said...

Does that mean you will be empty nesters? Or were they already living elsewhere? How handy to have a place to send the furniture you don't want anymore - ;-)

I wish I had a mantel! A long time ago I did, in an old Victorian house. As I recall, it was always full of clutter. But that was then! I would do better now!

Kerin said...

Great blog post! I loved seeing all of your beautifully hooked rugs all together; you always do such an amazing job on your rugs!
I do love all those sweet snowmen that you made, and especially your mercury glass Christmas balls.

How nice to be able to plant at this time of year :)
I'm sure that all of your flowers are so cheerful and welcoming.

{{hugs}}
~K.

Bonnie K said...

It is good to hear from you! I so understand your computer frustrations. Glad to hear your youngest will have family keepsakes. Tradition is important. Especially a piano.

Pom Pom said...

Hi Kim! Oh, your makes are always so lovely! I know what you mean about getting around to blogging - there always seems to be an obstacle or two!