Winter

Winter

Sunday, October 10, 2021

The Once in A While Blogger


 Its October and I totally missed September. We took a long trip. We went to Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas. Then we traveled in to Tennessee and I saw the Mississippi for the first time in my life. We made it to North Carolina and visited with our son and his wife and family. Then we went to Kentucky, Illinois. We saw the arch in Saint Louis and spent the night in Missouri before we began the trek back to California.  We took a travel trailer and camped. I haven't done that in 20 years and I wasn't even sure if I would still like it, but I did and I thought that it is still my favorite way to travel. September is a really nice month to travel in, the trees were just beginning to change. On the way back there were places the trees had changed color in just a week. 

I spent this last week trying to remember what it was like to live in a house. I was amazed at hot showers, dishwashers, such big rooms. My kitchen seemed like an oasis with all of these wonderful tools to use to prepare meals. As we traveled East, we were in such a hurry to get to Ben and Megan's we would drive through three states a day. We would pull into campgrounds at dark, and leave as the sun was coming up over the mountains, if there were mountains in that state. We drove from California to North Carolina in five days. We filled the car with gas 35 times. The cheapest gasoline we found was 2.87 in North Carolina. The most expensive was 5:11 at some dive gas station at dark in Arizona. As we drove east the cheaper the gas became. The last time we filled up in California it was 4:11. 

Getting to visit with Ben and Megan was so very nice. The boys have all grown so big and it was the first time visiting the baby. We talked late into the night and had such fun visiting their place and the town they live near to and the places they like to visit. It was two years since we had been with them. Much too long. 

Some of the things that were a shock for me was how many trees there are from Arkansas to North Carolina. So Many Trees! I look around California and if you see a tree, its because someone planted it and wants it to grow there. That was a new thought to me. Last week, I was still having nightmares about trees. The people were so nice and friendly. I never met a single rude or mean person. Everything you see on the news is just one great big lie. America is great because of its people. What is going on in the news and our fake president is just that, fake. 

When we were deciding to go, I admit to being afraid. What if we couldn't get back? As we traveled east, and I saw people from each place, I realized how duped I had been as well. Since I got back, I haven't listened to the bad news that is daily every where you look. I have been focused on what I love, because life is just too short to be messing about with junk. 

Its nice to be home, to be back doing normal. Whatever that is now. I have missed visiting your blogs. 

Hopefully, I will have some other things to be blogging about. I hope all is well with you.

~Kim~

Yes, we visited the Ark.

This gave me pause as I stood there in this enormous place. It was a very interesting place to visit. It was worth the drive. 






14 comments:

acorn hollow said...

What an uplifting post! It is nice that is what you found along the way. Kind lovely people. I work retail in a book store and right now we are a destination for the fall colors and everyone has been pretty kind and accommodating.
Cathy

Julia said...

Welcome home, Kim. What a whirlwind trip you took across the states. It must have been the highlight of the trip to see your son, Magan, and the boys. I bet the boys were overjoyed to see their grandmother and grandfather. Two years is a long time for kids. I haven't gone camping in years but I used to love it.

It's unbelievable all the fake news that is going around and it's only to misguide us. I'm glad that you saw that for yourself.

Thanks for your comment on my blog. It's not a popular topic and many totally do not want to venture comments and it's OK. I understand. But I can't ignore what I see every day worldwide.

Take care.
Hugs, Julia

Rugs and Pugs said...

So happy to see a post form you.
Sounds like a wonderful trip. So happy you are home safe and sound.
America is a great place...in spite of those trying to destroy the Land we love.
God Bless America!!!

TheCrankyCrow said...

Welcome home dear Kim...and welcome back to blogging! You've been sorely missed. I did not realize you were traveling to so many different states. Wow...It has been so long since I traveled anywhere that I think I likely have forgotten how to do it. You were close, but yet so far away LOL. And nightmares about trees??? Tell me it ain't so LOL... You best not come to northern Wisconsin then....they don't call it the "northwoods" for nothing. ;-) Yes, there are good people here...unfortunately, there are some very evil ones walking among us. But there is not country like ours, nor will there ever be. We just need to stand up for her...and pray. Pray very hard. ~Robin~

Saundra said...

I used to love camping and my deceased husband and I also had a camper until we decided we did like the beach and purchased a house trailer to put on a lot and we vacationed there during the summers and weekends until moving to California. After his passing I moved back to Delaware.
Glad you enjoyed your trip. You seem to be the type person who finds good in most things, a glass half full type person like me. And I also don't like the news I hear ~ you and I are listening to the real news not the BS the fake president and CNN is spreading.

Bonnie K said...

I'm so happy for you. What a great trip. I'm glad you got to spend time with your family and see the country. Thanks for sharing.

Debbie said...

i have missed you kim!! how nice to read that you have been traveling, you went to some great places, and it's nice you could see family as well!!

your sunflowers are gorgeous!!

Kerin said...

What a delightful post Kim!
I very much enjoyed seeing your trip pictures and reading your thoughts about the trip.
Thank you for your honesty and insight on things across our nation, as you have seen the real heart of our nation in just a few weeks up close and personal!
It's nice to be reassured that most folks still have kindness in their hearts :)
Your Grands are growing like weeds, and I'm so happy for you and your hubby to have time with them and make memories .

~K.

camp and cottage living said...

Hi Kim has been so....long since I've connected with you! It is good to hear of your huge adventure and happy you got to see you son and his family. Like you, I have to find a balance concerning the news or my joy can diminish quickly. We are still so blessed! Not sure how long it will last, but we must enjoy life while we can.

Kessie said...

I'm so glad you're blogging again! I kind of don't know what to blog about these days, so maybe you can inspire me. That sign in the Ark museum is provocative.

Mary said...

Wow Kim, what a fabulous trip, and by camper too. Once agin we had to cancel the trip home to England in Sept., now waiting until next year!

Did you come close to Raleigh by chance? Would have been fun to meet up. Fabulous to see your family though after so long, especially the grands! Glad people were kind, sorry gas was so expensive - not too bad here though compared to other places. You saw so much - so glad you enjoyed it all, and thanks for sharing such a positive post about the country.
Hugs - Mary in NC

Pom Pom said...

You need to tell me more about the Ark!
Your trip was blessed indeed! I'm so glad you went but also very glad you are home, home, home.
We are house mouses, you and I.
xo

Gretchen Joanna said...

That was quite a trip, my Dear. The way you describe your feelings about coming home to a house was just the way I felt every time we came home from a camping trip. But we tent-camped and I guess that was kind of dirty, because it was always the floors that surprised me, and how clean my house was, down to the non-dirt floors.

I wonder if you have more trips planned this year, or even next? I have been traveling a lot, though not quite as far as you, and I am happy to say I don't have any trip definitely in the works, though I'm starting to think of taking just two nights to go to the Central Coast to visit some people...

Welcome home!

Sara at Come Away With Me said...

Hello dear Kim! It was so interesting to read about your recent adventures traveling across the country, enjoying what is really real and forgetting about what is not. Welcome back, and I hope your Thanksgiving was lovely yesterday!

Do you find so many trees oppressive? That's something I discovered about myself a few years ago when we were looking to possibly move to the beautiful Pacific Northwest. They are so beautiful, and I enjoy walking among them in the woods, but I can't live in a house surrounded by trees....I need to be able to see into the distance. I hope your living nightmares of trees have gone away. ;-)

Enjoy the weekend!