Winter

Winter

Sunday, August 16, 2020

Odds and Ends

The blue of heaven is larger than the clouds.
I gave up and went back to old blogger. I did try to learn it but so many bugs are in it I think. So back for the third time to try and write a post. Happy Sunday! Its August here, 112, humid, all of those things that make August the longest month. But then of course, we have the best months coming up. September,October and November. I didn't add December, because I think we should change the name of December to Blur. It just flies by, then January shows up, but I think after 2020 we will celebrate 2021 with joy. Don't you think?


This was going to be a future Bonsai, but since I am so flower deprived, Ron has loaned it to me. Isn't it gorgeous. It makes me so happy out in the yard. We always bring it in the house in the winter because it just doesn't do well in the cold but it loves heat. Its a Bougainvillea.


I was going to start talking about the house, but since this post starts with Ron's trees, I thought I would show you some of the ones he has that he brought with us. This is a Cork Elm. Isn't it beautiful. One thing they never tell you when you buy a Bonsai in a store, is they are trees. They need to be outside. That is why they die so fast in the house. You can take them out and put them in a bonsai pot so they look all cool for show, but they won't be happy. They want to be a tree. All the things I watch Ron do to keep them small, like unpotting them and trimming roots. I don't think I would ever do Bonsai, I love watching Ron work with them, but too many bugs live in them, spiders are always jumping out at him. Just not for me.


This is part of the ones that he brought here. Its a nice place for them. He has put the bigger ones in the front flowerbed. We live in a north facing house so his Japanese Maples love it. I would have taken more pictures but the dog next door was barking at me. It is a problem child. I think its a Pomeranian. The day we moved here, Sasha barked at it, I told Sasha, "No, don't bark at that hoodlum." She looked up at me and has never barked at that dog again. Even when I have whispered in her ear, "go ahead and bark, its okay." She doesn't. That poor man and woman, have tried to stop her from barking, (she just doesn't listen.)  I just smirk, because I know who has the smarter dog. (Border Collies Forever!!)

We bought a new Tragger. When we moved here I was lost. Our old one broke about April. So one of the things we said we would buy when we moved was a new one. I felt like my life was back on track when we got one of these and we hung the wind chimes. I know weird but those are the things that make me feel like I am at home.


 We also bought new bar stools. I love these. Its been so nice to decorate and play house again. Being in limbo from last July until this July was hard. Now I feel like all I do it rearrange and clean and its been so much fun. Even when I first went to Kindergarten. When the play house in the corner of the class room just got out of hand the teacher would ask me if I wanted to play in the playhouse. I always said yes, and even then my favorite thing was cleaning and putting everything in order. I just can't do clutter. If I am going to hook or sew, I can never pick up a hook or a needle unless my house is clean.


I wanted to show you the arches in this house. We have really tall ceilings and really tall arches for the doorways. I love the curves and I just love how this looks in the master bedroom. I love this bedroom. In 40 years, I have never had a really pretty bedroom. I want this one to be a pretty room. Our old house had a pretty bedroom but one whole wall was windows and french doors, but it wasn't big like this one. I think that is what I like about it. So I am thinking and thinking about what I am going to do to make it really pretty.

Here of course is the fireplace. Again. I just can't begin decorating for fall just yet. So I keep moving stuff, but come September, this is going to look like a fall explosion happened. I found out today the brick color is called Old Chicago. I love that color.


  I took this picture because I wanted to show you how pretty the kitchen looks not to mention that very interesting light fixture. I still can't figure out if I like it or not. There are so many things I would like to do, that this just isn't a big priority. I planted sunflowers in those pots outside. All of the sunflowers are coming up. We also have a large finch population so I am sure they will be very happy when the sunflowers are finally growing. We have lots of dove and hummingbirds, crows and a few bluejays. They are not in control yet. There are some mockingbirds but they are still outnumbered by the doves so it seems pretty peaceful around here. Not like the war zone at the other house. There was always lots of bird fights going on.


Here is the little I have worked on this week, I did finish that flower. This is a really big rug. Its so nice to be hooking again. I have to work on it using my floor frame. I have missed hooking.

I just had to share this picture of our oldest son Ben. He loves his turkeys. I knew he would. We are waiting for his next baby to be born any time. It will be number 12 for us and number 5 for them. He has worked so hard this year to get a home for his family. We are very proud of them.

So that's it for me. Its taken me far to long to write this post. I found out that I can't upload pictures unless I am in Google Chrome. I seem to never remember than until I have written posts and none of my pictures will load.

I hope your day is a great one.

~Kim~

“The heat of autumn is different from the heat of summer. One ripens apples, the other turns them to cider.” (Jane Hirshfield)

11 comments:

Kessie said...

I'm so glad you updated! I've been looking for a new blog post all week. I love the new bar stools and the places for the trees! And I'm so glad you have some colorful flowers. Bougainvillea is pretty, but it has crazy thorns. Also, that picture of Mr. Turkey is the best thing I've ever seen. He'll be sad when it's time to eat them. :-D

TheCrankyCrow said...

Wow!!! I don't know where to begin!! I LOVE the bonsai!! And, while I knew they were trees, I didn't realize that they would be happiest outdoors (and gee, that makes sense LOL)....probably why no one in these parts do them....they wouldn't see too much of the outdoors before they would need to be brought in. Your home is looking beautiful....so cozy. Love the bar stools....and I have always loved homes with arches, but ours doesn't have any.... And I always thought it would be amazing to have french doors in my bedroom (and a fireplace as long as I am dreaming LOL), but never had those either....and doubt I ever will. My bedroom here is a loft room with a steeply sloping ceiling, so I am luck to have 3 tiny windows....and at the lake, the bedroom is on the upper floor..... And YIKES!!!! You are really hooking up a storm!! It would have taken me a month or more to get all that hooked. What cut are you using?? Loving the bold, rich, colors. I laughed at your comment that you can't hook or stitch without your house being in order. I would never ever get to hook or stitch if that were my mind set. However, I cannot hook or stitch (or do any type of crafting) until it's dark.... I know it sounds odd, but I feel like as long as there is light outside, there is work that can be done and I shouldn't be "playing." Think it's a result of having grown up on a farm because, obviously, my husband doesn't have the same "issue" LOL. I can't believe you are planting sunflowers....We will be having frost next month and snow likely the month after.... I have already started yanking out things ....and leaves are starting to turn. Well, have fun hooking and playing house! Sunday blessings my friend ~Robin~

Gretchen Joanna said...

I enjoyed this post very much. I laughed at the idea of renaming December!! You are very funny, and real ;-)

Bonsai is such an art! I admire bonsai artists very much but I also can't imagine working with plants that way. It would be fun to have a bonsai artist at my place so I could enjoy the artwork.

I also love the brick color of your fireplace, and the arched doorways, and am glad your bedroom is roomy enough that you can envision being able to make it what you want. It is really nice to have your bedroom as a place of refuge and rest at the end of the day and to make it beautiful for that purpose.

I am still in transition myself, going on two years now. Today I was putting a few things away in their new spaces that are ready to receive them, but it will be a while before I can actually set up my sewing/morning room. It seems everyone is behind in his work and the guy who is making the closet doors can't stretch far enough. It's very junky right now. :-(

We are having a heat wave, and then surprise! Last night an electric storm, rain, high winds. It's more humid today than I have felt here for years.

acorn hollow said...

You sound so happy in your new house! So glad you are enjoying every minute of it. Lucky you all those grands I have my one fabulous Miss B.
I am loving the look of your rug already!
Cathy

Rugs and Pugs said...

I love seeing snippets of your beautiful new home!
Congrats on the soon arrival of #12. I am like Cathy...just one and that will be it.
Your rug is off to a great start!

Mary said...

Such a charming post and seeing/hearing all about how well you have settled in is great news.
Enjoy the tweaking of your pretty bedroom - we all need a comfy one these days as sleep is so important!
The facts on bonsai are very interesting - don't think I would enjoy the bugs jumping out though!

Have a great week dear - and hope it will cool off somewhat - you're even hotter than us!!!!!
Mary -

Nellie said...

It’s great to see that you are making good progress in creating this new place into the home that you love! I’m still posting with the new Blogger. I’m not sure we will have a choice at some point.

Debbie said...

this post kim, is just like the old days, maybe better!! you are so settled and so happy!! the sunflowers in your header are gorgeous, maybe from the last place??

i do not want to be debbie downer but i am so ready for 2021...so over 2020, i mean, could it get any worse?!?! the bonsai are really pretty, so special!!

i ADORE the kitchen stools, they are really awesome, and the kitchen light too!!

sweet picture of ben, and i am so happy for you!!!

R's Rue said...

Congratulations. Enjoy.

Bonnie K said...

Great post. I love the home. Bi am like you and everything has to be tidy before I can focus. I am so impressed with your rug. Glad to hear you have lots of birds. I enjoy bird watching. Nice to see you are getting settled. Thanks for sharing.

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

I see I am behind on your posts! I can't figure out how to get notices anymore since I lost my lists of blog posts that I like to read. I guess I will have to start a new one.
Your new home is lovely. I especially like your fireplace- that is goreous and I know will be so cute with all your fall decor. I have already started...just a tiered tray..nothing too much yet. But I am so excited that fall is finally (almost) here. It's my all time favorite season, and always so welcome since summer is my least favorite.
Have a great week!