Winter

Winter

Saturday, January 26, 2019

January Work

Today is the day. These wonderful vines will be moved to their new home. I can't wait to get them all trimmed and into a new place. I went to three different places yesterday to find Boysenberry vines. My last stop was Tractor Supply and they had a few. I bought six new vines to add to my collection. Not all of these will make it to my new row because they are the thorny kind. I think I will cull them.

Yesterday we worked out back to get the ground ready. It was a perfect day. Not hot and cold enough that it felt nice to be in the sun. We worked all day long out there. That is the one good thing about January living here.

We not me of course. But I watched. Ron dug a trench with the tractor and then we filled it with soil amendment and mulch. I know this is going to sound weird, but one of the things I love about living here is the soil. Its a loose sandy soil and it is rock free and it smells amazing. Its nice and damp from all of the rain.


We used our little Mantis to mix all of the soil amendment, mulch and everything all together. I did a little bit of it. What a work out! I need to use this Mantis lots more. Instead of using wire strands so the berries can grow we decided to get some other kind of wire to see if it helps keep the vines better and keep the vines off the ground.


Doesn't that look nice? I will be out there on my hands and knees pretty quick. I was cleaning my chicken pen and two hens, were just desperate to lay eggs so I came in and decided I would write a post while I waited. Ron is cutting up some trees we took out yesterday. We lost so many trees last year from the heat. He was cutting them up and using the shredder. Its pretty loud. I just thought I would stop in for a minute. I should get back out there.

Thanks for stopping by,
~Kim~

I read this yesterday and I thought, this has always been the cry of my heart. I know that is why Ben and Megan decided to go to North Carolina, for just this kind of living.

11 comments:

Carol W. said...

Wendell Berry said it all! That's the life that Ben & Megan want; that's the life I would like to have, but at 67 & disabled, it's just a dream. Love your photos of your plowed rows. Hope your blackberry vines do well! Have a great day, Kim!

Kessie said...

All those beautiful vines! I dream of having my own vines out here someday.

Rugs and Pugs said...

You and hubby have been busy. It will be a long time before any outdoor work gets done in Ohio. We are heading for a deep freeze. Thankfully it is only supposed to last 3 days.
Hugs 😊
Lauren

Nellie said...

Hi, Kim! Would we ever love some of that sandy soil here with our red clay! I've been away so long that I didn't know Ben and Megan were in NC! Wishing everyone well!

TheCrankyCrow said...

Nothing more beautiful than the fruit of a hard day’s labor done side by side....and what a great idea with the fencing. We had boysenberries on the farm where I grew up, but I haven’t seen any for years around here. And, yes, I envy you that soil...ours is pure clay and full of rocks!!! But I love the smell of freshly turned soil, no matter the kind. I also envy you your mild temps...it was -21 (without the windchill) when I looked this morning.... And now we are to get 5-8” of snow tomorrow night...along with wicked winds...and then even colder temps. Hello???! Hope your having a peaceful and enjoyable evening... Love the little quote... ahhh...that seems like a beautiful fairytale. Smiles & Hugs ~ Robin

Julia said...

I love all the work you guys are doing outdoors. Your rows with the wire support looks so neat. Here the ground is still frozen and we still are a very long way to be able to work outside but it's only 52 days to Spring so I need to be patient.

For some reason I thought that Ben and Megan were in North California, silly me. I didn't realized that they were actually closer to me than to you. I hope that they like their new home.

Good luck with all your new planting.
I love reading the Wendell Barry about wanting to carry the rocks from the river or creek. So many people are now looking for that kind of sustainable lifestyle living of the land and being off the grid, using the material available to built their home.

Take care and enjoy your nice gardening weather.
Hugs, Julia

Alica said...

I was just looking at your pictures, and thinking of how lovely and inviting your soil looks, and I thought it looks sandy and rock free! Then I scrolled down further, and it's exactly how you described it! I have long admired your perfect looking soil! It looks like it would feel wonderful in bare feet! :)
I enjoyed following along some, on Ben and Megan's vlog, especially towards the end. It was fascinating, and I sure hope they enjoy their new life in NC! Will you get to visit soon?

GretchenJoanna said...

I feel the same way about the smell of that soil! Yum!

Three Sheep Studio said...

Boysenberries... they bring back the best memories.
I remember picking them as a young girl in Germany.
I admire your wonderful 'working' farmstead.
Rose

Kerin said...

Lucky you guys.. getting to work in the garden!
The new berry patch is gorgeous, as is your soil!

I'm happy for your kids to have found a place to live and make the kind of life that they have dreamed of.

~Smiles:)
~K.

Bonnie K said...

I will admit I am envious of your berries. I love berries. I can't wait to see how they do. Good luck!