Winter

Winter

Saturday, September 15, 2018

Mid September


Our heat finally broke. It feels like fall. I hope all of you in the path of the hurricane are staying safe and dry. You have been in my thoughts and prayers. I always feel like this is such a first world problem, and I have wondered about sharing what I did this summer. Finally I decided since I spent so much time doing this, I might as well show you.

We have neglected the pool area for so many years. There always seemed something else that needed taking care of or whatever. This year, after I got the pool fence painted, I realized that I had let hard water minerals build up on the tile. The only thing that worked on the tile to remove the minerals was a pumice stone and elbow grease. The shallow end was pretty easy, but the deep in was more of a total body workout.


So this summer I scrubbed and scrubbed each and every pool tile around the pool. Ron worked on one side and Peter helped a little but for the most part I did it by myself. I would use two pumice stones and I could get about four or five tiles done. If I did more that that it would mess up my hands and I couldn't sew or anything like that for a few days. Which is why I read 42 books this summer.


Our local grocery store was the only place I could buy pumice stones that worked. I became an authority on different kinds of pumice stones. I would buy all that the grocery store would sell and some times I would have to wait until they filled the rack. I finally stopped counting how many I bought after 30. I knew that fall weather would be here by Wednesday. The pool was starting to get really so cool. I had about 27 tiles left on Monday. I worked on it Monday afternoon. 


I knew by Tuesday I had to finish. I worked for three hours scrubbing and scrubbing. The last two tiles, I ran out of pumice stones. Isn't that the way it always goes? I got out of the pool and went searching the house. I managed to find about a half of one in my bathroom in the house. I was able to finish and it felt like such an acomplishment. My hands though looked like I had burned them and even today they are still bruised. Because I would brace my feet against the edge of the plaster in the pool, I rubbed the skin off the bottom of my feet. I tried scrubbing from the outside of the pool, but I could get better leverage from inside the pool and being in the water. That way, I could rest and do laps. I do love swimming, but I am glad its almost time to put every thing away. So this years summer project was all about pool care. 

I did manage in spite of that to work on His Eye is on the Sparrow, when my hands would work and not be so rough I would tangle the threads. 
Just this little bit is left.


Its bittersweet. I am ready to work on other projects, but this has been such apart of me for so long now. I really am ready to get it framed. 

How about some game cam photos? 

Tell me what you think this is? 
I don't think its a dog or a fox. I think it might be a coyote. What do you think? The morning he was out there, I thought its footprints looked different than a dog or a fox. But I am not that good of a tracker.
I know you can tell what Mr. Racoon is and he is getting pretty chubby. So there must be something to eat around here. I haven't noticed him getting into my chicken yard. I know its only a matter of time. That is why I lock my hens up in Fort Knox every night. I haven't seen any foxes around lately.
I do enjoy our game camera so much. There is always so many interesting things on it.

Wishing you all of the best,
~Kim~

The circumstance God allows does not define me, But God allows it to refine me.---Jennifer Rothchild


 

6 comments:

Kerin said...

Way to go! I'm so glad that you were able to accomplish the huge task of getting the tile done, before the weather got too cold for you. Sure that you feel a great sense of accomplishment :)
Sorry that it was so rough of you though! Rest up now and take care of your hands and feet.

Love that cross stitch! You always do such beautiful handiwork.

Yes... I do think it looks like a coyote, on your property.
That is a pretty healthy looking racoon too.
We haven't put up our game cam in forever, but with the cougar that killed a fawn just through the block, it think it's time to set it up again!

Take care.
~K.

Rugs and Pugs said...

Isn't it wonderful to cross such a major task off your list?
Oh, you are getting so close on His Eye. It is just breathtaking.
Hugs :)

Susan Kane said...

Wow. Now that is a dedicated marathon of scrubbing.

Now it is time to dive right in!

Three Sheep Studio said...

I’ll bet you are now over the moon about finishing the scrubbing in your pool ! All the animals in you game cam look so well fed. Smart girl to lock those chicks up !
Rose

Unknown said...

I read a article under the same title some time ago, but this articles quality is much better. What are dreams

GretchenJoanna said...

I use a pumice stone on my toilets from time to time, and there is always some pumice that settles in the bowl and then gets flushed away. Does that gradually go out of your pool when the sweep and filter are running?

Maybe next time you could wear rubber gloves to protect your hands. I know they would get wet, but they would dry sooner than your hands heal!

Happy Fall, Kim!!