Winter

Winter

Friday, July 6, 2018

A Summer Day


I thought this morning you might like to see my little garden. This time of year it looks so green and pretty. As summers go this one hasn't been as hot as last year. We had over 60 days in a row of 100+ temps in 2017. This one has been more normal to my memories. I hadn't put my silkies in their little pen yet so they are playing hide and seek with me. They just make me laugh, so when I have a slow morning like today, I like to sit on the patio with my coffee and watch the little gnomes run around the yard.

I was trying to get a good picture of that eggplant, but Mr. Rooster thought I wanted to take his picture. He is getting up in years now. He is still my favorite rooster. He does love his little hens and is a good rooster to them.

On the fourth of July, I was madly going though my cookbooks, and drawers and everywhere I could think of to find my ice cream recipe. I ran across a journal that I had written in 2007. My life has changed so much. I only had three grandsons. I was babysitting the oldest. I was still homeschooling four kids. I was still entertaining the idea of being a writer. I hadn't even run across the idea of blogging. (I found the recipe by the way.)
 So here it goes.

Reflections From My Porch.

"The air is perfect for November. The sky is filled with jumbles of clouds, telling the sun to go away and come again another day---like March. 
The Sugar Maple who began the week wearing a splendid dress of red and gold. She looks today that she has lost most of the dress during the night. As I walked this morning to visit each tree before they go to sleep for the winter, I noticed under my friend the Sugar Maple her leaves were all around her feet. Once on the ground the leaves only stay bright and red and orange one day then they fade and melt down to become brown and crunchy giving themselves for the good of the earth. 


I will forget the beauty of this fall, I will not remember the blowing of the wind though the cottonwoods or the sound of the ocean though the branches. I won't remember the orange and yellow or reds and bronze that lit up my pasture as a candle brings light to a darkened room. 
The wind and the rain will come and the leaves will scurry away until their places are no more or I will rake them up to make everything look neat and clean.

My chickens have come up to the porch, they are in my pots on the porch scratching and eating the rest of my aloe they found earlier in the summer. They are all clustered around waiting for me to feed and collect their eggs. They are such an interesting group of ladies, they are still girls rather than respectable hens. They still like to be petted and talked too not like my old graceful biddies who only see me as the one who brings food. My rooster walks on his feathery feet next to the swimming pool, I can't believe that I have allowed chickens to take over the yard!"

Back to today, its warming up outside. The garden loves it. I haven't yet began to panic because of the zucchini. I have lots of plans for the ones that I do have. I have been working on the last pages of His Eye is on the Sparrow. I will show you when I have some discernible progress. I am starting to panic about that last final edge, will it meet up or not. Will I have to do some ripping out? That last corner will be a test. 

Ben and Megan and the boys got to spend the Fourth of July in Yellowstone. I think that is so very cool to experience that. They also love Glacier National Park. It makes me almost wish we did summer vacations. Kind of. 

I just wanted to write a post, because I would hate to change the name to" Once in a Great While Field of Dreams."

Have a wonderful weekend this first week of July,

~Kim~

The world is full of happiness, and plenty to go round, if you only will to take the kind that comes your  way. The whole secret is in being pliable.
---Daddy-Long-Legs, Jean Webster, 1912

8 comments:

Angela said...

I have missed you sweet Kim! I have squash running out of my ears! It will be so wonderful this winter. I love how the garden looks just now- almost exotic. It is really hot and humid here in GA. Must get out early! I think you are so brave to have ever started His Eye in the first place!I love your chickens!

Pom Pom said...

I like to read my old journals and get a grasp of how things stay the same AND change. Your little garden (and those cute gnomes) looks grand.
I'm glad it's not so hot in B-town.
Take care, good Kim.

Kessie said...

I'm so glad you found blogging! All that wonderful writing is no longer hidden in notebooks. :-D

Pat S. in Lebanon said...

That was a terrible tease about the ice cream recipe....thought for sure you were going to include it in the post.

Gumbo Lily said...

I was waiting for the ice cream recipe too! Ha! Everything looks wonderful in your gardens and the flowers and chickens too. We've definitely hit summertime weather here, up into the 90s today. Whew!

Western Montana is beautiful. We live on the eastern side where there is more rolling prairie. Sounds like your peeps are having fun vacationing!
I'm glad you decided to keep us updated!

acorn hollow said...

I made ice cream this week too I purchased very ripe strawberries and they made yummy ice cream. 60 days of 100 temps I would just die we had 7 days of 90s plus humidity and I thought I would crack under the heat. oh How i hate it.
your garden looks great.
Cathy

GretchenJoanna said...

I do love looking in on your garden with chickens adorning it! I wish I were there for you to share some zucchini with -- I don't have it growing here... but my new neighbor Kim ! gave me some last week :-)

Debbie said...

nice to see you today kim!! your garden looks great, just the right size!! i would love to have chickens here, i don't think it would be permitted in my neighborhood but the thought of fresh eggs every day, yum!!