Winter

Winter

Sunday, February 25, 2018

Lazy Sunday


Its a lazy Sunday here. We don't have many of those. Yesterday Ron worked out back getting things cleaned up. Then we went to the going away party for Ben and Megan. The big adventure starts next week.
The Hollar Homestead is here. They will be vlogging about it as they go across this great land of ours. They have quite a few vlogs about getting ready to go and selling and upgrading their house. I don't know why this always makes me think of that book A Lantern in Her Hand, by Bess Streeter Aldrich. There is a poem in the book that goes like this.

Because the road was steep and long.
and through a dark and lonely land.
God set upon my lips a song,
and put a lantern in my hand.
---Joyce Kilmer.


Here is my road and I love how it looks when its all clean. I have to change the subject before I am weeping on my keyboard. I am thankful I live here and now, and not in Abbie Deal's time. I have so many more ways to stay in touch than in the olden times when you might never see the family back home again.


March will be here next week. I had these lovely flowers growing in my flowerbed. We had wind and I  didn't want them to be beat to death so I cut them and brought them in the house. The whole house has had that sweet fragrance. I don't wear perfume, but I wish I could find something that smells this pretty in a perfume.
I thought you might like to see a bit of my hooked rabbit. I am thrilled with it. That wool I dyed last week, is just perfect and my heart sings as I work.


Isn't she wonderful? I am having so much more fun with this pattern this time. Not to mention, I can see this time around. I am so thankful to be here and not where I was three years ago.


Here are our two mulch piles that will be used for the garden. It makes me so happy to see them out here because I know how happy my garden will be with this lovely stuff.

Here is my sleeping garden.


I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder. It makes me so happy to see all of this clean slate sitting out
here waiting for dreams to take hold.

I found this today. Not much else is awake. We have had freezing weather now for a week, so everything has been slower about waking up. Which I am glad, with March coming in next week.

I hope your Sunday is perfect filled with all kinds of lovely things. Thank you so much for stopping by,

~Kim~


“All my girlhood I always planned to do something big…something constructive. It’s queer what ambitious dreams a girl has when she is young. I thought I would sing before big audiences or paint lovely pictures or write a splendid book. I always had that feeling in me of wanting to do something worth while. And just think, Laura…now I am eighty and I have not painted nor written nor sung.”

“But you’ve done lots of things, Grandma. You’ve baked bread…and pieced quilts…and taken care of your children.”

Old Abbie Deal patted the young girl’s hand. “Well…well…out of the mouths of babes. That’s just it, Laura, I’ve only baked bread and pieced quilts and taken care of children. But some women have to, don’t they?...But I’ve dreamed dreams, Laura. All the time I was cooking and patching and washing, I dreamed dreams. And I think I dreamed them into the children…and the children are carrying them out...doing all the things I wanted to and couldn’t.”
― Bess Streeter Aldrich, A Lantern in Her Hand





13 comments:

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

Your rabbit quilt looks perfect. I wish I had your talent...mostly I wish I had your good eyesight. Mine is so awful. This morning in church I had my cheeters on and still had to hole the hymnal up to my nose to read the words to sing. It's ok when I know the song, but when I don't, I feel so stupid.
Anyhow, have a blessed Sunday!

Gumbo Lily said...

I so understand your feeling of seeing that blank slate of land, ready to be made into glorious veggies and flowers. I hear your mother's heart as you say so-long to your loved ones. We are blessed to have such good communications these days.

Your bunny is SO beautiful. I love the varied colors within it. It's going to be amazing.

A Lantern in Her Hand was one of my favorite books, and the quotes you have touch my heart. Have a happy Sunday!

Unknown said...

Wonderful poetic blog entry. Makes me ache for you. Hoping you and Ron can be with them when they settle. You are great homesteaders too

Julia said...

My heart is aching for you Kim, because like you, I like to have my children, grandkid, and great grandkids close by. My daughter Nicole lived in Scotland, so far away from home. She made it her home there. I miss her so much.

You're right, the wool color is perfect for the rabbit. Beautifully done. I marbleized a little bit of wool today. Have fun...

I'm looking forward to seeing your garden grow. I hope you get the rain you need this year.
Hugs, Julia

Anonymous said...

Beautiful Flowers

Rugs and Pugs said...

I'm loving your rabbit!!!
Oh, how I love the fragrance of a hyacinth.
I will have to check out Ben and Megan's site.
Being a mom can be tough!
Hugs :)
Lauren

Kessie said...

Gosh, it's all happening so fast! Hang in there. And tell your other kids to hurry up and have more grandkids. :-)

Debbie said...

i watched the video, how wonderful for ben? and his family!! i know it will be hard for you but think of their adventure and how it will enrich their lives!!

hyacinths, yours and my favorites. i see you choose the right color!!

Three Sheep Studio said...

It’s hard sometimes to be a Mama !
Soon you will be reading their blog and smiling at their adventures.
You did a phenomenal job with the color of the rabbit.
Enjoyed your spring flower pics.
Rose

Alica said...

I went over and listened to some of their vlogs...wow, what an adventure! I'm sure you'll miss them a ton. If they happen to get to PA, have them look us up! And you hang in there!

GretchenJoanna said...

It sounds like they are moving far.... :-( But probably not as far away as where my littlest grandchild is? I know, it doesn't matter, it's that you will definitely not see them as much as you have, and that is really a loss.

I am hoping to get better at Facetime and Skype and that kind of thing, which I don't like but it's much better than nothing, right? And I send postcards. I hope your grandchildren will write to you, too.

Pom Pom said...

Prayers for the kids as they venture forth!
I'm glad you had a quiet day! That rarely happens, right?
love love

Unknown said...

Being a mama is hard sometimes because they never leave your heart. Your bunny is gorgeous and I love the colors you have chosen.