Winter

Winter

Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Signs of Spring


Nothing makes me happier than when Ron has made paths and made everything nice and clean. We have rain in the forecast this week, starting today until next Monday. Does that mean anything? No, not really. We may gets some sprinkles and lots of shade, but its always nice to think about.


On my last trip to Tractor Supply, I found this hen treat. Do you see it says, " Sunflower and Meal worm?
Yum right? My hens love this. I really need to get some of the ingredients and make it myself. Its just the meal worms you know?
Here is the back side so you can see better. The only times worms are not a big deal.




Yesterday it was such a pretty day. I had been out back walking when I walked in the back yard. The tree has new leaves, the grass is green and the picture of my hens out there under the tree just made me so happy.


The other morning I had let my hens out. Sasha was watching the hens. The one thing I think is sad, that this proud Border Collie guards hens and not sheep or cows. The hawk has got really brave now. In fact last night Ron and I were having coffee and he sat in the tree and watched us not ten feet away.

 
Outside today is really pretty too. The clouds are big as full rigged sails on sailing ships. The air smells of orange blossom. One thing I love is smelling the different fragrance of blossoms. Lemon blossoms smell slightly sweet with a dash of lemon. Pink Grapefruit smell lightly of tangy grapefruit and well you know what orange blossom smells like. Blood orange blossoms are the loudest. They smell vibrant, and heavy and spicy.
I stand out there and watch the bees with little pollen sacks filled to overflowing. Sometimes I wonder how in the world they are even able to fly with the yellow pollen just packed on their little legs. The crab apple was just beginning to bloom on Friday when we were trimming trees. We had reached this tree in the line, and it really needs to be shaped. I asked Ron if he was going to trim it? As he stood and looked at it, He put his clippers back in his pocket and shook his head. " No, not today, its full of bees. I will do it another day when it isn't so busy." I love a man who thinks about little things like making bees happy. No matter if it means more work somewhere down the line.


I wanted a picture today of the sunrise from the back of the pasture looking toward the sunrise. I love being out here early in the morning.
Well between my fit bit, my work list and the chicks, its time to go outside. I hope your day is a beautiful one.

~Kim~


" I've been a great deal happier since I have given up thinking about what is easy and pleasant, and being discontented because I couldn't have my own will. Our life is determined for us;and it makes the mind very free when we give up wishing, and only think of bearing what is laid upon us, and doing what is given us to do." ---George Eliot

12 comments:

Julia said...

Your chickens must be in heaven with those treats. I eat sunflower seeds with my cereal but I skip on the mealy worms, hehe...

It's nice seeing your green grass and trees in blossom. I would enjoy seeing all your trees that are in bloom. You guys work so hard to grow these under hot and dry weather conditions that it would be nice to see. Then in winter when all is bare you could look on your blog and remember what awaits you next spring.

Sasha is such a good dog.
Hugs,
Julia

Debbie said...

i bought meal worms for my birds once, they were so expensive. the sunrise image is beautiful, it is the best time of the day!!!

Rugs and Pugs said...

I'm sure you are lovin' seeing all that green!
Beautiful sunrise.
Happy spring :)
Lauren

Pom Pom said...

Pretty sunrise photos!
I must confess that the meal worms give me the shivers. I don't think I could make hen treats if it meant messing with worms. What a wimp I am.
I can tell you are thoroughly enjoying the spring. Yay!

annie said...

Such a pretty place, you are blessed, smile.
Sounds like your next stop could be a bait shop,
Lucky hens!

GretchenJoanna said...

You seem pretty likely to get some rain Wednesday night. I hope it really does come!

Today I was able to smell some orange blossoms at my friend's house, but I'm afraid that once again this year I'm not going to make it to the Valley groves in time to be enveloped by the atmospheric orange blossom scent.

Three Sheep Studio said...

Everything looks so lovely, Kim !
I encourage you to make your own sunflower and mealy worm treat for your "girls". Mealy worms 'keep' a long time in the fridge !
Wish I could smell those sweet scents you are describing !
Rose

peggy said...

Wouldn't mind a walk in the backyard you described, it sounds so beautiful and I wish for spring so much. Love the quote too.

Alica said...

Look at all of your green!!! It makes me anxious for our trees to push leaves and yes, even to mow the yard. I hope last week's freeze didn't mess up the budding trees that thought is was already spring.
The sunrise is beautiful...and to think that I saw that very same sun come up on the very same day...only 3 hours earlier! :) Hope you're having a great day!

krishna said...

Beautiful pictures.. I love orange blossoms fragrance... Whenever blossoms come in my orange tree, I hang around there and smell the flowers...

Please visit: http://from-a-girls-mind.blogspot.com

Bonnie K said...

I really enjoyed this post! The photos are so peaceful. Thank you for sharing it made me smile.

Gumbo Lily said...

I don't know the smell of orange blossoms or grapefruit or lemon blossoms. Lucky you! It looks so beautiful in your corner of the world with the chickens and flowering trees, clean pastures and pretty sunrises.