Winter

Winter

Sunday, September 14, 2014

Dreaming of Fall

Do you remember when your Mom would say, " If you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all." She didn't? Oh, well my Mom would say that all of the time along with the walking a mile in someones shoes. It was 106 here yesterday. 1-0-6. Abundant sunshine all day. It was so hot, that I was going out to water my chickens, my grandsons who were with me and love going to water chickens walked outside and put their hands over their faces and said, " Oh, we live in a desert, its too hot" and turned and ran back inside.

Here all this time I thought it was me being a wimp.


Its hard to write anything nice when it feels like the inside of a oven. I am feeling just a tad grumpy.
My flowerbeds are starting to resemble the Amazon rainforest but without the rain. We got our water bill yesterday. Lets just say that between the electric bill and the water bill, we are going to be wearing clothes made out of fig leaves, unless of course, I can manage to spin straw in to gold. Since the last time I tried to spin, I couldn't even make wool look like string, it will be fig leaves as soon as I find a tree.


My son asked the other day, had I seen any prophets walking around saying that there would be no rain for 3 1/2 years? I looked at him sideways, and said, " No, I don't think so why?" He said, " You know when Elijah said that there would be no rain and he went to live with the widow who was gathering sticks to use what oil she had left for her and her son and then they were going to die?" I said, Yeah, I know that one, well what happened." He said, well it didn't rain for 3 1/2 years, so what do you think? You think maybe we have that going on now?" I stood in the kitchen, staring out the window and pondering that. " I said, I don't know but it could be."  In fact, I hope it is only 3 1/2 years and not the 7 that Joesph had in Egypt.


 This was last year, and I thought last year was dry, I don't know if this tree will live long enough to have fall color. It really is so scary now. There is just no moisture and it is sad to see every thing dying. The smoke from the fires and the poor firemen and their families.

I hope you are enjoying your day, I know I will even if it is hot. I will find lots of things to be thankful for like
clouds. Clouds are very nice.

~Kim~

Teach us Delight in simple things,
And Mirth that has no bitter springs,
---"Children's Song," The Puck of Pook's Hill,
Rudyard Kipling, 1906

See what I mean, nothing nice.

19 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

oh, my word! 106! i saw the headline on the news page about california heat wave and fighting fire. i'm so sorry. i wish you relief!

Sue said...

I have been complaining about our 95 degrees this week, but coupled with the high humidity it was pretty hot, I was wondering if you have humidity with yours, if so I can so understand the little ones running back to the AC. It was so cold last winter, I remember telling my dh that no matter how hot it would get this summer I wouldn't complain, but I buckled and did, and he reminded me of my promise. ~smile~
How proud you must be of hearing your son tell of incidents that happened in the Bible and to relate the story with you, what a precious moment for you as a parent!
Well dear friend, let's you and I hang on for a little while and fall will be here for sure, I am so looking forward to the weather change. We got a taste today, it is in the 70's, if I could I would blow it your way, but most systems seem to flow from west to east, so I will be generous and let you keep it, for a little while. ~smile~
Enjoy your day!.
Hugs,
Sue

Pom Pom said...

I'm so sorry, Kim. The drought just HAS to be over soon.

Julia said...

I can't imagine having to work in 106 temperature. We had high humidity all summer with very hot days and very wet days. I just wish we could split that in half and share the other half with you.

It's now very cold in the morning and it's cold now but we can add some extra blanket on the bed and extra cloths on our back.

It must be do disheartening to wait and wait in vain for a cooling rain to quench the earth in your area.

I always envied people who lived in California because they had warmer climate than us but I now realize how fortunate we are after all. We can't grow oranges, lemons and mangoes or palm trees and many other tropic plants but we can grow apples and crabapples.

I'm praying that the drought will soon come to an end and that the fires will all be put out.
Hugs dear friend,
JB

Jacque. said...

ohboy, did me Mum ever say that! I didn't learn, though. Open mouth and out it comes. It's one thing I try to control...unsuccessfully most of the time. Hope it cools off for you soon. Grumpy is not good...and for the little ones to be affected...well, that must really be hot!! xo

Kim said...

Geez, 106 in September is crazy. And I just can't imagine that kind of dryness. It's amazing that you have your gardens. I'll pray you get some clouds and rain

Nellie said...

That is too hot, Kim! This drought you are having needs some relief! Hopefully it will come!

Spinning straw into gold! Now that would be very helpful! Do figs grow in California?

Praying for cooler temperatures and rain for you! xo Nellie

Anonymous said...

It is refreshing that you can lend your sense of humor to the drought situation. Thank you! Were there actually clouds in the sky? What teasers those clouds are....

Larkrise garden girl said...

I am with you in misery it's horrible in Southern California . everything is dying living in Crest we have to pay a pumping charge too ! You really don't feel like doing anything. i am switching to more native plants but even they need water. Hugs cheri

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

Unbelievable. Praying for rain for you all.

Alica said...

I'm so sorry...that's waaay too hot! I sure hope you get some rain...and relief from that heat, soon! If you want to get away from it all for a bit, you could always come here for a visit! :)

Buttons Thoughts said...

WOW I am still stuck on your temperature. 106 I cannot imagine. Stay cool my friend. Hug B

Debbie said...

Yesterday was downright miserable weather wise wasn't it? Honestly it's just like we're sizzling in a skillet. Soo hard to wrap our heads around the rest of the country has turned to Fall and cool weather. South Dakota (where hubby is from) actually had snow yesterday! S N O W!! Can ya stand it? Well, hopefully we are almost at the end of this. Enjoy your week Kim. and stay cool!

Gail said...

Both parents said that.

May you receive just the amount of rain you need soon.

instantnewsnepal said...

If you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all. you do have nice blog , nice friends and nice feeling nepalihandmade

Kerin said...

Hi Kim,
One very nice thing is all of your beautiful pictures!
I love them :)
Sorry for all the miserable heat that you've had.
I think that this week, the West coast is supposed to cool off a bit, isn't it? I'll be wishing for rain for you all!

It is hard to feel chipper when the heat is so oppressing. Hang in there.

K.

Sara at Come Away With Me said...

We are feeling your pain here in San Diego county now too . . . hot, hot, hot, dry, dry, dry. And we are wincing at the thought of what our electricity and water bills are going to be as well. Let's hope and pray cooler weather and some RAIN is in the not too distant future. I feel sorry for the animals who must live outside.

Gloria said...

I feel your pain! :/ We have received a couple of those electric bills due to our heat here in the Valley. Not fun being moved up to tier 4 rates. Praying we get some relief soon. We can only water our yards twice a week now, on designated days. With fines coming if you don't follow those rules.
I am headed out to visit my mom in Utah tomorrow. Hoping for a little bit cooler weather where she is up in the mountains. Unless our heat is going across the country to her house by the time I get there. lol Oh well, what are you going to do? Going to make the best of it, and keep praying for rain.
Beautiful photos to brighten the day though! :) Happy week to you!
xoxo...Gloria

Debbie said...

WoW, kim, that's too hot and your grandsons are smart. i love autumn and we are starting to feel it now. last night, it got too cold to keep the windows open, finally!! i saw tons of mums and pumpkins on sunday, what a great sight!!

we are finally getting some much needed rain right now!!!