Winter

Winter

Sunday, July 30, 2023

Odds and Ends


 Here we are at the end of July. I need to get myself in gear if I am going to get lots more things done that were on my to do list for summer. 

I managed to dye wool this last week. My first batch it was nice colors but not what I wanted. So I started over on Tuesday. I went back and read Lauren's post. Rugs and Pugs. One of the things that I have never done, was used purified water. So on Tuesday, that is what I did and I got the colors I saw in my mind. 

So I finally got to start on my granddaughter's pillow for her upcoming birthday.


 

It works up just the way I wanted it to look. Letters always test me, but I think this is working out okay. I will change the hearts around a bit. 

My next project is going to be from Crow Creek Farm. When she released that pattern we were getting ready to leave on our trip and I had to wait but the first thing I did when I got back was order that pattern. It just tickles me.

I always lay my future rugs out on the floor so I can sit and stare at them and think of which wool I am going to use for what. I was doing this and my helper wanted to go outside. No matter how hard I tried, he just wouldn't leave my rug alone. So guess who won and I went and sat outside with him. He really is the boss.

He was intent on getting my attention. When I am writing a blog he comes in and walks on the keyboard and causes all kinds of mischief. You can tell he is the only animal in the house. He gets away with stuff that no other animal I have ever had did. 

The garden is going strong. 


Our teeny little garden is growing so much food. I think we only have six tomato plants. We are finally learning how to grow things in garden beds. Its been such a learning curve to go from a garden as big as this whole lot to tiny beds in the corner of a yard. So this year has made me so happy to be able to make and can food. 

I hope you are having a nice summer. Its been nice here, even if it is hot. I just have more time to putter and do things in the house. 

Have a lovely day, thank you so much for stopping by,

~Kim~

"Hot July bring,

Cooling showers,

Apricots and gilly flowers."

---Sara Coleridge






9 comments:

Saundra said...

I LOVE tomatoes, well that is fresh garden type. Seems that Friends pattern is popular as I have seen a few hooked and posted on FB. Looking forward to your rendition.

TheCrankyCrow said...

Your grand is going to love her pillow! I love the way the wool works up! I love the smell of canning - anything! It is a memory that takes me back to summer growing up on the farm. They were long, hot, days for my mum with all she already had on her plate but, somehow, the root cellar shelves were always packed full of garden goodness. I'm so glad you've managed to continue on with your growing and canning - I know how much you would miss it. Love your little furball! Such a beautiful kitty! ~Robin~

Julia said...

Your granddaughter will appreciate the pillow. I love what you did with the wool. It turned out beautifully. I'm glad you're getting lots of veggies to bottle. It's so satisfying, isn't it?

What a beautiful fluff ball that kitty is. Such a beauty. I can tell he approves of that whimsical pattern. I just love that pattern too.

I've been harvesting vegetables and also have started making pickles. It's been a very challenging year for gardening but all in all, I can't complain as we've been luckily spared forest fires and floods so far.

Have a great week. Hugs
Julia

acorn hollow said...

Sweet Pillow for your grand but do you have enough backing?
I love your other rug. We have had so much rain and when the sun came out it was hazy from the fires in Canada so our garden nothing. I am so very jealous of your lovely haul from your garden.
Cathy

Rugs and Pugs said...

Those tomatoes look so good. Nothing like one fresh from the garden. Happy your garden beds are producing so much.
Your pillow is going to be so sweet, but how do you hook with so little linen margin? I find that too difficult. Happy the dye colors worked out. Your new rug is going to be a fun one. I have seen several versions on FB.
Happy hooking!

Pom Pom said...

Max is a rascal! He's a VERY cute rascal though! Your garden HAS been amazing! I'm in awe of your preserving skills!
The rug for Bug is so cute! I love your new pattern, too! Go, Kim, go!

Gretchen Joanna said...

It's amazing how much produce can come from a backyard garden. Way to go!

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

My husband is building a greenhouse and testing out what will grow in big buckets...so far I am not too impressed with all the work that it entails. I think just stick those plants in the ground! I love your rugs, and I have missed seeing what new pattern you have been working on. You have a stick to it-ness that I greatly admire. I give up on more projects than I ever finish!

Lelia said...

lovely yield from your garden. our kittys insist on laying on projects. No matter if they are on the floor, table, chair, they cannot resist