Winter

Winter

Friday, September 15, 2017

A Evening Post

I normally write my posts in the morning. I have had a busy day. I need to write this so I can sleep, when I haven't written in awhile, posts wake me up in the night begging to be written. I have been gone awhile from the date of my last post. The heat lasted so long, I just didn't have anything to say. But then Wednesday night we had a lovely storm that blew the humidity and the heat away.


Thursday it was cool finally. The sky was blue again. The dust was quieted down from the cloudburst. I could breathe. The leaves were finally able to shimmer in the golden light. I walked and looked at everything from a different vantage point. One that welcomes fall with open arms. I started by washing windows and porches and moving furniture. I have cleaned flowerbeds and it has been glorious. To be outside and to not be depressed from hearing the steady drone of the air conditioner. I am thankful for them don't get me wrong. But the sound of the birds singing and the wind in the trees is such a comforting sound and I have missed it this summer.

I did think that fall would never come and summer would last forever. When I got pregnant with Kessie. I really was not the sharpest knife in the drawer. I just kept getting bigger and bigger. I had such weird ideas. I have no idea why, like since I was going to breastfeed, did I need to poke holes you know where so the milk would come out? I thought my Mom was going to hurt herself she laughed so hard. I also made this terrible mistake. I just kept getting bigger so I thought I would never be able to fit in my old clothes. So I took every single stitch of clothes I owned to Goodwill. So when the baby came, I had one old dress that I had missed in the back of the closet. We couldn't afford new clothes for me, so I wore that dress over and over.

So that is how I thought this was this summer. I would always be miserable hot and my chickens would always live in the back yard. Having two days of cool weather has been such a healing balm to me. Weather can change and I can get sit outside and the sky is blue again. I can be happy I live here and how pretty it is when the breeze blows in and I am once again thankful for the experience of waking up in the morning and going outside to fresh air.

I am thankful for summer. I am thankful for rain. But fall coming next week, is just the best of all. I guess I can understand how all of you who get buried under all of that snow and it feels like winter will never be over. Do you remember that play called Cat on a Hot Tin Roof? I started quoting lines from it every time I went outside. I was starting to crack. We have at least a week of cool weather, so I might have time to get back to normal. At least be able to hook again or sew again.

Have a delightful weekend,

~Kim~

“Listen! The wind is rising, and the air is wild with leaves,
We have had our summer evenings, now for October eves!”
― Humbert Wolfe

5 comments:

Julia said...

Oh my goodness Kim, you crack me up.... having to poke holes for the milk to come out. lol... That is so funny.

I'm glad the cooler weather has arrived in your area. I can't even think of how uncomfortable the never ending heat and humidity must be.

Here the week has been beautiful and sunny. It starts cool and by noon, it's quite warm and humid. It looks like it will be warm and cloudy for the next 5 days but who knows what Jose will bring.

I hope Ron is feeling better by now.
Take care,
Hugs, Julia

Pom Pom said...

You're funny, Kim. Taking all your clothing to the Goodwill! 😂
I'm ready for fall, too.

Gumbo Lily said...

I remember thinking that I would never be done wiping off the baby's high chair! As my wise MIL used to say, "This too shall pass." Wise words. I love summer, but I am ready for Fall. It's been cool here and we've had rains! Blessed rains! Last night the temps got down to 33*.

Enjoy your outdoor days. I so understand about needing to be outside!
~Jody

Debbie said...

hehehe, happy to see you today Kim! I always feel like summer is never going to end!! I love spring and fall!!! We had a cool august, September has been brutal!!

Pretty flowers today!!!

Sara at Come Away With Me said...

Like you, I am totally enjoying this cooler weather - so lovely and refreshing . . .