Winter

Winter

Sunday, February 12, 2017

First Signs of Spring

I went out very early this morning, when it was dark and cold and wet. I could hear the sounds of birds singing the sounds of spring. I knew when it got light enough I needed to take my camera and go for a walk. I needed to see for myself if the birdsong was indeed singing the song of spring. These are my findings today.

Its too cold yet. These blossoms go un- pollinated because its too cold. The bees need it to be 55 or warmer for them to fly. February is like that.   A few warm days and it fools the trees into thinking its going to be warmer and then winter comes back in with a vengeance. Though it has been warmer with the rains.


I loved this shot this morning. Its been called a "Full Snow Moon. Next month its called a "Full Worm Moon." That makes me laugh but April is a "Full Pink Moon."  Have you seen all of the water in California? It is mind blowing to me. The last time I remember it being like this I was in third grade. I remember sitting in Miss Wagner's class and watching the rain as it just poured from the sky and every canal and river was full. Dad took us for a ride up the canyon so we could see the Kern River raging as it came down through the hills.

Have you watched the news about the Oroville Dam?
Here is the link. They had to use the emergency spillway for the first time in 48 years and its quite a sight to see. We live in the Central Valley. Just a small political commentary. Jerry Brown had to go to President Trump to get Federal money.

I find this really ironic. I wouldn't want to have to do that after my state has pulled so much stuff lately. Pick one stupid thing that California has done or said since November. I keep wondering when I am finally going to get sick of it and just move away. Every time I go grocery shopping I am reminded I am living in a place that has changed and it does not reflect my values nor what I can believe it has now become.  

Today is a very pretty day. Lots of sunshine. We will have another storm later in the week. The last storm it rained so much that every thing is so deeply wet. Its so nice to finally see that moisture.

I hope all is well in your in your neck of the woods.

~Kim~

“The way you keep your house, the way you organize your time, the care you take in your personal appearance, the things you spend your money on, all speak loudly about what you believe.”  Elisabeth Elliot

12 comments:

Alica said...

I'm glad you finally have an abundance of water...it's about time! I can just about smell the hyacinth from here...it will be a while until we have anything like that here. Enjoy your week!

Mrs Shoes said...

At 5Acres & now here, I have flower envy.
This part of Canada will not see blossoms for quite some time yet - first we need a few feet of snow to melt. Lovely pictures!

Gumbo Lily said...

What beautiful signs of spring! Exciting! The Oroville Dam article was really something. I'm so glad you are getting the much needed rains after such drought and empty dams and reservoirs.

If you need a state to move to, you can come to (eastern) Montana or the Dakotas! We're just "regular folks" out here. Not too flashy.

Pom Pom said...

Hi Kim! I bet you are ever so thankful for mushy ground. Two more weeks of the love month and then the March winds will blow!
I hope you're having a lovely Sunday!

Julia said...

How nice to get signs of Spring. We're getting warnings that we're getting yet another snow storm with high winds and blizzard conditions for tomorrow. It gets me very nervous. I keep hoping that my grand daughter won't go into labor early.

Still no signs of springs here for quite some time. Enjoy your cooler wet weather. It will make everything grow fast.

Stay dry and warm.
Hugs,
Julia

Kim said...

Very pretty pictures today. No signs of spring here. Not even close

Anonymous said...

It will be nice to see the buds in the plants:)

Debbie said...

i think all of our homes have changed, mine too. we our so polluted and overcrowded, we stay here because our moms are here!!

the signs of spring are beautiful, we are seeing little signs of it here too!!!

Debbie said...

* home towns *

Empty Nester said...

All is still above average here. In the area of temperatures, not in anything else. LOL I have been watching the news about that dam. I hope everyone got out of there. The video footage is terrifying. As far as spring and summer go, stay away. :)

GretchenJoanna said...

Your buds are beautiful!! It's colder here, too :-( and I might have to build a fire....

Rugs and Pugs said...

I have read about the dam but not seen the videos. I will check out your link.
Here's my political commentary. No matter what Trump does or does not do for your governor, the liberals will be all over him finding fault. Maybe when California secedes, you can move to the United States...lol!
Happy Valentine's Day :)
Lauren